Wtb: Headphone Amp For DT990 Pro 250ohm (objective 2?)

Cecil

Supreme [H]ardness
Never had a headphone amp and don't know which ones are good or not, but in the bit of research I did it seems like the Objective 2 is a good bang for buck for my beyerdynamic DT 990 pro 250 ohm.

If you have anything similar offer away. And if anyone has any recommendations of what I can find around a hundred bucks or less I'd appreciate the help.

When I get my gaming PC set-up later it would mainly be used for that, but in the meantime I have a Denon home theater receiver with a 1/4 inch headphone out that I'm guessing I can run from that to the amp and not need a DAC?

O2 is supposed to be a good design and probably a good match for 250 ohm cans. Also check out the Schiit Magni 3, packs a bunch of power for $99. I've occasionally seen them used for ~$80-$90. If you buy new, I think Schiit gives you a 15 day money back guarantee.

O2 is not enough and wrong signature for DT 990s. You'll be plagued by BD's "house sound" of really "energized" treble and aggressive bass, with nothing to fill in the mids.

Look for a warm tube amp to smoothtame those DT990 highs.

I have some tube amps, but they are far and away more expensive than the O2.

If you already have DT 990s, but no tube amp...well sorry.

I would recommend selling the BDs for something a little less aggressive in sound sig and a little less needy in amp power.

Ok, last ramble, get rid of the 990s, unless you're going to commit to a really good amp. Get the Sennheiser Jubilees and the O2/Grace DAC combo off of drop.com

I like the dt990s comfort, they are the only headphones that don't give me a headache after an hour that I've tried.

Also I am fine with how they sound in games, and just want more volume and oomph.

Back