WTB *cheap* Laptop/Netbook

mhenley

[H]ard|Gawd
All I need is something that can get on the internet. Price is the biggest issue, and therefore the features I need are minimal. I don't care if the battery holds a charge, or if it's dinged or scratched (and the display is ok) as long as it works.

CPU: 1GHz+ preferred, but I'll take what I can get
RAM: 1GB+ preferred, but I'll take what I can get
HDD: I don't care
Brand: I don't care

In a perfect world, ~$75 is a magical number for me, but I do have a small amount of wiggle room on this. Just to give you an idea of what this is replacing; the person this is for inherited my old Compaq Armada 300MHz laptop (mfg date: 1998) which just died and therefore needs a replacement.

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71038

Last edited:
With shipping, that is a tough price to meet.
(For me anyway)

I'll look around for anything close to that price.

Any help is appriciated DPOSCORP. I am really looking to get lucky and maybe find somebody who has a lappy that they don't use anymore, or maybe one that will only take a small amount of effort to fix. BTW, the ~$50 was without shipping, I'm more than happy to pay for that.

I have a couple old laptops .. I think one has bent pins in the pcmcia slot, and the other has stripped out hinges on the display so it doesn't stay wherever you put it .. and neither one holds a charge .. I'll look up the model numbers and get back to you .. you could have either one for $50 shipped

the one with messed up pcmcia port is a compaq Presario 1600 (P3 vintage) ..it also has loose hinges on the display .. you could have this one for $25 shipped

..the other lappie is a Compaq Presario 700 with a duron 1.2ghz cpu and 512mb ram, 20gb hdd .. it has Ubuntu on it right now, but I can put XP back on it if your interested in it

Last edited:
Still in the market for one.

@ ThreeDee : The battery not holding a charge isn't an issue for me, neither is bent PCMCIA pins if it has integrated wireless, and loose hinges aren't a problem if it will stay put once in position.

I have a 700m with 3 batteries. Just needs a new LCD (dropped, works fine with vid out). Also have a mini9. Let me grab the specs. 50 is pretty low. Maybe we can do something like 75 shipped

I have a Latitude D600 I'm suppose to sell for a friend but been too lazy. He would probably take $65 shipped for it. Its a Pentium M 1.6ghz, 1gb ram, 14" screen I think. It doesn't have a dvd drive (has an extra battery shaped like a dvd drive in the slot) and will not include an operating system but does have the Windows XP Professional license at the bottom.

Flaws:
Various dings and dents, plastic vent in the back is cracked. LCD is not completely uniform. Some areas are slightly darker or lighter(not very noticeable unless its against a solid darker background.) Battery located at the bottom is just about dead. Battery located in the dvd drive bay holds a charge for about 40 minutes when playing a video file. AC adapter center ground pin is gone though it still works fine. Let me know if your interested or want pics.

@eb50: Definately interested in the Mini9

@tosgamer: When you say center ground pin are you talking about the part that plugs into the laptop or the part that plugs into the wall?

Apparently that Mini9 and I were not meant for each other. Darn shame too, that perfectly matched what I was looking for.

Bump

i've got an old p4 dell with xp, 512 ram, 30 gb hdd, battery holds enough charge to keep it from powering off if the power plug gets undone for some reason. PM if interested

Still in the market for one.

@ ThreeDee : The battery not holding a charge isn't an issue for me, neither is bent PCMCIA pins if it has integrated wireless, and loose hinges aren't a problem if it will stay put once in position.

unfortunately, they don't stay in place ..very annoying to say the least, lol ..

@ ThreeDee : Part of the reason why I have any requirements at all is because any tech issues get dropped on my lap, and I really don't want to have to deal with the person complaining over hinges. Sorry, but I'll pass on yours.

I hear yuh ... boy ..do I hear yuh ..(tech for friends and family myself, lol)

I have 2x Acer Aspire 1 Netbooks.

1 has 8gb SSD
other has
160gb regular hard disk.

But cheapest I can do is $150

@ PawNtheSandman : Noted. I'm trying to get my friend to understand that more money is needed, but she's being stubborn.

bump

Got a nice laptop without a screen, screen went out so i use my HDTV.

1.6ghz
1gb ram
15" widescreen backing
vista
60gb hd
2 altec lansing 3.5 outputs, vga output, svideo output
dvdrw
media card reader

works great, i leave it closed w/ wireless mouse and KB and use it on the tv, I've got the inverter for it and detailed pics of rebuilting it, just need a screen. I have a 17" laying around (widescreen) I had on it but it was inconvenient and too wide, so i just hooked it up to the tv.

$100+ shipping

Back