WTB APC UPS 1000w+ rackmount, no batteries <$200

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
I'm looking for a rackmount UPS that is at least 1000w (think that's 1500va or so) so I can connect my own bigger batteries to it. I do not need or want any batteries, just a working unit with appropriate rails.

I'm hoping to spend no more than $200 shipped, but not sure if that's realistic. Either way, I'm up for an offer if you have one you want to get rid of.

I don't need any network management, but I want to at least be able to serially manage it through the Linux apc daemon.

Good Luck bump! I'll be surprised if you can get one shipped for that amount. Mine cost almost $100 just to ship.

I have one that I am considering doing the same thing with. Got a good source for batteries?

Good Luck bump! I'll be surprised if you can get one shipped for that amount. Mine cost almost $100 just to ship.

I have one that I am considering doing the same thing with. Got a good source for batteries?

I just got mine at Canadian Tire. (Deep cycle marine battery). I'm running into a challenge though, I only bought one (12v) thinking I could use it with an inverter-charger but the one they sell takes 2 secs to transfer over so was unusable. UPSes use 24 volts. Now I can't find a battery with the exact same specs as they're out of stock.

I've even been debating on making my own inverter-charger as a good one seems hard to find. The easiest design I can think of is have a power supply power an inverter and everything constantly run off the inverter. Have a relay that can transfer the inverter's power source over to the battery. This relay would be powered by the mains. When the mains turns off, the relay turns off, transfering the power over. Depending on the speed of the relay I'd possibly need a small capacitor bank to keep the the inverter going for a while. Hmmmm. Need a higher quality inverter meant for continuous use mind you. In fact with this setup I can have multiple inverters for redundancy. The relay needs to be fairly heavy duty though, it would be handling like 100 amps DC. The battery would also always be on a charger while isolated. There would be a few relays involved to switch things on/off at the transfer process. Don't want the charger trying to power the entire load, for example.

I just got mine at Canadian Tire. (Deep cycle marine battery). I'm running into a challenge though, I only bought one (12v) thinking I could use it with an inverter-charger but the one they sell takes 2 secs to transfer over so was unusable. UPSes use 24 volts. Now I can't find a battery with the exact same specs as they're out of stock.

I've even been debating on making my own inverter-charger as a good one seems hard to find. The easiest design I can think of is have a power supply power an inverter and everything constantly run off the inverter. Have a relay that can transfer the inverter's power source over to the battery. This relay would be powered by the mains. When the mains turns off, the relay turns off, transfering the power over. Depending on the speed of the relay I'd possibly need a small capacitor bank to keep the the inverter going for a while. Hmmmm. Need a higher quality inverter meant for continuous use mind you. In fact with this setup I can have multiple inverters for redundancy. The relay needs to be fairly heavy duty though, it would be handling like 100 amps DC. The battery would also always be on a charger while isolated. There would be a few relays involved to switch things on/off at the transfer process. Don't want the charger trying to power the entire load, for example.

SOME UPS use 24V. The one that I have (SUM1500RMXL2U) is a 48V one, meaning I need 4 of the deep cycle batteries. This could get expensive, very quickly.

For charging, I wonder if you could just hook up a trickle charger before you hook them up to the UPS? Or, unless it would damage the UPS, could you leave a trickle charger hooked up to the batteries all the time?

I'll be relying on the UPSes charging circuit to handle it, it may take days to charge though but I'm thinking it could work. The initial setup I would use a proper charger to pre recharge the batteries.

On the other hand it would be a good test to drain the batteries (equally) and then hook them up to ensure they will charge properly. Most of the UPSes I've seen are 24 volts but it's possible the rackmount ones are 48. I have 2 batteries now, so I could have to buy 2 more.

Might have something for you. Not sure on rails but a 2U APC for sure. Can let you know monday after I look at it.

Bump for you

Had to trash maybe 2 dozen of these in Iraq, couldnt bring them back with us, too dirty from the desert for anyone to take them from us

Back