WTB 240 AIO compatible with Kraken G12

jimthebob

Gawd
Long story short, recently upgraded to a 2080ti and when oc'ing, the 120 AIO I have is clearly not enough.

Soooo I'm looking for someone who (hopefully) has a 240 AIO collecting dust from the list below they're willing to sell cheap.

PM me and lmk what you have!

1673818265952.png

Are you sure it is the 120mm AIO and not something else that is the issue like no other heatsinks with the G12 to cool? Is it a core temp issue or memory temp issue?

I recently added the EVGA Hybrid Kit to my 2080ti FTW and it has no issues cooling it and 100% power level with +100 MHz core and 80% fans for reference.

Are you sure it is the 120mm AIO and not something else that is the issue like no other heatsinks with the G12 to cool? Is it a core temp issue or memory temp issue?

I recently added the EVGA Hybrid Kit to my 2080ti FTW and it has no issues cooling it and 100% power level with +100 MHz core and 80% fans for reference.
Yeah, the 120mm AIO just isn't enough to tame a 2080ti. It was only just enough on the 1070ti I had it on before so it makes sense that going from a card with a 180 watt TDP to a card with a 250 watt TDP might be a bit much for the lil 120mm AIO. That doesn't even factor in the extra headroom the BIOS I applied to the card ups the power limit in MSI Afterburner to 130% from I think 112% stock. Needless to say settings are staying stock for now b/c obvious reasons.

Also, I did add heatsinks to the VRM's and RAM b/c I'm not a total monster 😆 Card also has 2 120mm fans on the bottom of the case blowing fresh air at it plus the 92mm fan on the G12 so airflow shouldn't be an issue.

Edit: I'm also kinda limited atm to only placing the 120mm radiator on the bottom of the case b/c of tube length meaning the pump is at the top of the loop which is obviously bad so there's a decent chance that there's some air hanging out in the pump which as we all know is perfect for cooling performance. So that's a tertiary benefit to upgrading the AIO; longer hoses would allow me to more properly mount the AIO on the side intakes/exhaust would mean the pump is no longer at the top of the loop.

Edit 2: I would LOVE to find an EVGA hybrid kit to install on my card but I don't see that happening. Unless I'm not key wording right on something like eBay, I can't seem to find 'em for sale :(

Last edited:
You have another issue. It'd be better to figure that out than throw money at it. More than likely it is the radiator being on the bottom of the case and the pump directly above it. They all have some amount of air in them and that air will settle at the highest point.

Think of all the EVGA hybrid cards that have 120mm AIO on them, cool fine, last for years, and perform well. I had a 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid and a 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid that both worked without issue.

Yeah, that rad on the bottom is just asking for trouble...it will eventually kill your pump.

Just move the rad to where the tubes are on the bottom of the rad, like either the back, top or front of the case. Your not going to see an improvement with a 240 if you're just going to put it in the bottom. You're better off with the factory air cooler than a bottom rad.

You have another issue. It'd be better to figure that out than throw money at it. More than likely it is the radiator being on the bottom of the case and the pump directly above it. They all have some amount of air in them and that air will settle at the highest point.

Think of all the EVGA hybrid cards that have 120mm AIO on them, cool fine, last for years, and perform well. I had a 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid and a 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid that both worked without issue.

Perhaps I should have been more specific in my OP when I said the 120 AIO is clearly not enough, phrasing is everything. Long story short, 2 things are making me search for a 240 AIO: 1) the 120 does OK at cooling the card, but the temps I'm getting are about what a decent 2-3 fan cooler would do. Not bad, but not great. End of day I just want more cooling capacity. 2) The ONLY reason the RAD is placed at the bottom of the case is b/c the tube length does not allow me to place it anywhere else. The case I'm using is a Lian Li PC011 Dynamic, so no fans at the front and none at the rear. The tube length on this 120 is not long enough to allow me to place the rad on the side mounts and ofc not at the top of the case. Believe me, I hate that the rad as below the pump b/c I know how bad that can be. I just sadly have no other option atm b/c of tube length.

Yeah, that rad on the bottom is just asking for trouble...it will eventually kill your pump.

Just move the rad to where the tubes are on the bottom of the rad, like either the back, top or front of the case. Your not going to see an improvement with a 240 if you're just going to put it in the bottom.

See my above comment, the 120 AIO will literally not reach anywhere else in my case :/

Idk how well it comes across in pics but this is what I'm working with.

20230129_142958.jpg
20230129_143030.jpg

Move it in the side position and give up 2 of those side fans moving 1 of them to the bottom. You're throwing money at a problem that most likely won't be solved with a 240mm rad let alone killing the pump because of it positioning.

Move it in the side position and give up 2 of those side fans moving 1 of them to the bottom. You're throwing money at a problem that most likely won't be solved with a 240mm rad let alone killing the pump because of it positioning.
I appreciate the suggestion but like I said, the tubes simply will not reach to allow me to side mount the rad. I would gladly give up a fan on the side to make it work but the damn things just won't reach that far. As the pics show, it's a tight reach to even get the rad where it is.

What kind of core, mem, and hotspot temps you getting?

I'm pulling 350W to my 2080ti with the Hybrid Kit 120mm and single fan. And I run it 24/7 don g Distributed Computing so much more stress than gaming. My core is in the low to mid 60s and hotspot low to mid 70s. The extra rad isn't going to help IMO because of its position.

Also, you keep ignoring the fact that you're killing the pump no matter what size AIO because of its location.

Good luck though and hope you solve the problem because the 2080ti is still a a beast today IMO!

Last edited:
What kind of core, mem, and hotspot temps you getting?

I'm pulling 350W to my 2080ti with the Hybrid Kit 120mm and single fan. And I run it 24/7 don g Distributed Computing so much more stress than gaming. My core is in the low to mid 60s and hotspot low to mid 70s. The extra rad isn't going to help IMO because of its position.

Also, you keep ignoring the fact that you're killing the pump no matter what size AIO because of its location.

Good luck though and hope you solve the problem because the 2080ti is still a a beast today IMO!

Just did a 25 minute Furmark run which was enough time for temps to stabilize. Max GPU temp was 72.2°C with a max hotspot temp of 96.1°C at all stock settings. Thermal paste much have "settled in" a bit since my original testing just after cooler installation b/c I seem to remember hot spot temps being as high as about 105°C or so, now I'm apparently seeing lower hotspot temps. Fans are, however, at max RPM which isn't exactly a lot quieter than the stock blower was. This card sadly doesn't have a mem temp sensor so I can't comment on that. Like I said, not bad but not great. I just want more cooling capacity which should hopefully allow the fans to run a bit quieter.

As far as killing the pump, I'm not ignoring that. I've said I hate that the only place this AIO will reach is the bottom. I suppose I haven't said it outright but 240 AIO's tend to come with longer hoses than the older AIO I have which would allow me to place the rad on the side of the case rather than being restricted to the bottom mount. I almost had an NZXT X52 AIO which with it's tube length would have for sure allowed me to relocate the rad so as to fix the pump at the top of the loop issue.

while you look for a 240, id mount the rad to the bottom or middle intake fan(edit: side) to get the it upright. another option would just upgrade that rad and tubing.

Last edited:
while you look for a 240, id mount the rad to the bottom or middle intake fan to get the it upright. another option would just upgrade that rad and tubing.
You could also move the GPU down to the second 16x PCIe slot and then attach the radiator to the bottom back fan slot. It'd put the GPU closer to the fans and the top of the radiator above the pump. I don't get why you'd not measure everything first and make sure it'd fit the in a way that somewhat made sense before doing all the work on this.

You could also move the GPU down to the second 16x PCIe slot and then attach the radiator to the bottom back fan slot. It'd put the GPU closer to the fans and the top of the radiator above the pump. I don't get why you'd not measure everything first and make sure it'd fit the in a way that somewhat made sense before doing all the work on this.
i think thats means what i meant. i wasnt sure if they were considered the back or side fans but knew they were intake. figured bottom or middle would be clear...

Just a quick update for those that were commenting; did a system rebuild today and was able to get the 120AIO above the pump through sheer luck. Performance difference isn't much to comment on but it def feels better to have the rad above the pump. All this was thanks to me being able to get the vertical mount working. Side note, I have the 120AIO set up in a push/pull config.

20230210_164657.jpg

Back