WSUS re-install problem

bluesdoggy

Limp Gawd
Have a 2k8R2 standard box that serves several roles, one of which is WSUS server for a small company. WSUS was running fine up until someone there decided to save some space by getting rid of the SUSDB_log.ldf file which was getting big. WSUS obviously didn't like this. I decided to just uninstall the WSUS role and reinstall since i didn't have a backup to fall..uh..back..on. Uninstall went fine. Rebooted and went to add role for WSUS. Wizard launches, and fails. Looking at the install log, i see the following:

Code:
2011-07-17 20:18:04  Error     CustomActions.Dll  MoveWyukonDatabaseFiles: MoveFileEx failed to move file from C:\Windows\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL\Data\SUSDB_log.ldf to D:\WSUS\UpdateServicesDbFiles\SUSDB_log.ldf (Error 0x80070002: The system cannot find the file specified.)

This is odd, so i did some exploring. For some reason, SUSDB_log.ldf is being created by in D:\SQLServerLogs. It is not being created in C:\Windows\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL\Data\ and thus the error.

I can't figure out why its being created in the wrong location, can someone help me out there?

you can change the file paths with SQL Server Management Studio

edit: oh, and I bet by simply uninstalling WSUS, it did not remove the SQL database. Since the file paths are configured for the SQL database, it's possible the log file originally existed on the D: drive. You could possibly remove the WSUS db from the SQL reinstance then attempt a reinstall.
Or just check the file paths on the WSUS db.

Back