WRT54GS stuck at 16mbit speeds

[F8]

Gawd
I just dumped my dsl for cable and when I ran ethernet straight into the modem from my laptop I was pulling 30mbit to speedtests, but when I go wired or wireless through my router, it's capping at around 16mbit. Anyone know of any decent priced wireless routers that will get me closer to 30mbit? My laptop has 802.11n and I saw someone locally selling a WRT160n but I don't know if that would do it either. Is the cpu speed of the router the limiting factor? The 54gs is 216mhz cpu, depending on the revision the 160n can be 300mhz.

You could try to flash it with the dd-wrt firmware to see if that will free it up some. If you're going to buy a new router you've got nothing to lose. Any of the 'N' routers should be faster. Your best bet for long term reliability and speed is probably one of the *.nix routers on an old PIII computer. Using pfsense and a piii 1.1ghz I get 45/25 on my fios 5/25 connection.

I'm using Thibor 15c firmware currently and have been for a while. I think there's only so much this 216mhz cpu can handle.

I found a WRT320N locally on craigslist for $40 and I negotiated down to $30, which seems like a pretty good deal to me. Although I'd like something with a usb port to use external drive so I don't have to buy an NAS.

Back