WRT54GS and Novell Problems

trckn4life

Limp Gawd
I have a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and I'm running into some problems with a mobile setup. The internet/network access seems to be ok and printing to a printer off one of the ports on this router (hardwired) is fine no matter where I'm at). But, here is the problem; I'm having trouble logging into Novell. I can ping the novell servers and get a response (via IP) but it never seems to be able to log into Nvoell if I'm on the wireless on the wrt54gs or even plugged in via cat5.

But, as soon as I remove the wrt54gs and plug directly into the wall; I can login fine. TO my knowledge I don't see any protocol filtering that is setup on this router. Any ideas?

I assume you are logging into a VPN Client first to access your companies firewall. I would find it hard to believe a Novell Server wouldn't be behind a Firewall :)

If this is the case, it may actually be an issue with your VPN client and the router.

-Larry

trckn4life said:
I have a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and I'm running into some problems with a mobile setup. The internet/network access seems to be ok and printing to a printer off one of the ports on this router (hardwired) is fine no matter where I'm at). But, here is the problem; I'm having trouble logging into Novell. I can ping the novell servers and get a response (via IP) but it never seems to be able to log into Nvoell if I'm on the wireless on the wrt54gs or even plugged in via cat5.

But, as soon as I remove the wrt54gs and plug directly into the wall; I can login fine. TO my knowledge I don't see any protocol filtering that is setup on this router. Any ideas?

TechLarry said:
I would find it hard to believe a Novell Server wouldn't be behind a Firewall

I am sure it is behind a firewall, but honestly, a patched Novell server would be the only OS's that I would trust exposed on the internet. Maybe 16bit DOS tcp/ip stack.

You are using a secondary router within your workplace? I would behead you if I were the network admin....make sure you aren't running DHCP and that you'r router is configured as an access point and not a router. There are a number of Novell services that will not pass through a router. Would need to know more about the server version and client version and how its set up before I can help you any further.

/edit And if its an older server you are probably having problems because you are probably connecting via IPX/SPX instead of pure IP which is why the router probably is giving you problems as opposed to being a pur TCP/IP network.

Yeah, I was gonna bring up the IPX thing too after I found out about the Firewall/VPN part.

He may also need to manually insert location DN's in the Novell Client, depending on his corporate configuration.

-Larry

Nasty_Savage said:
You are using a secondary router within your workplace? I would behead you if I were the network admin....make sure you aren't running DHCP and that you'r router is configured as an access point and not a router. There are a number of Novell services that will not pass through a router. Would need to know more about the server version and client version and how its set up before I can help you any further.

/edit And if its an older server you are probably having problems because you are probably connecting via IPX/SPX instead of pure IP which is why the router probably is giving you problems as opposed to being a pur TCP/IP network.

Nasty_Savage said:

don't worry it is setup as an access point. I am basically one of two main network administrators where I work and we needed this setup for the mobile cart (laptop cart) that we are using. The wrt54gs was just setup to act as a gateway.

We are trying to get everything switched over to become just a TCP/IP network and get rid of IPX/SPX/. I worked on this this morning. A firmare update on the wrt54gs fixed the problem!

Back