WRT54GL slows to a stop when running two computers wirelessly??

coyote556

n00b
My linksys router for some reason has a problem. It runs great when I am just running one computer wirelessly, however when I have my desktop and my laptop both surfing the internet at the same time (both wirelessly) the connection starts to slow and then stops completely. It still showes I am connected to the router with a good strong signal on both computers, however I cannot stay online with both. Any ideas on what could be wrong? :confused:

Are you running in mixed-mode?

Try setting the router for G only, and see if that improves it. Assuming both computers support G.

You may also have interference on the channel you are using. Try a different channel. Never use the out-of-box channel because everyone else does ;)

-Larry

I will try the G only option. I don't suspect interference because I live out in the boonies, but I guess it is possible. thanks

well I switched it to "g" only mode, however I am still having problems. Even when using just 1 computer. You will just be working along and all of the sudden the connection speed to the router will drop to between 10mbps and 20mbps. The signal strength is still very good but the speed drops off and that is when I start having connection problems. Any other suggestions?

Is it possible you have a neighbor that is running a Pre-N router? I've heard these Pre-N routers are not very friendly when it comes to interfering with other routers.

-Larry

I guess it is possible, but the closest house for that would be over 1/4 mile and that is why I figured it was something else.

Back