WRT54GL After a Power Outage

GregMior

n00b
Hi All,

I've been noticing an annoying occurrence everytime the power flickers here with my router. It seems once the power comes back on and I boot up my computer I cannot connect to anything through the internet. I can still connect to the administration console through my browser, but nothing else works.

I constantly have to reset to factory default and reinput all my settings. Granted power outages aren't a common occurrence, this is still a nuisance.

Is this just my router? Can it be fixed?

Thanks,
Greg

If you just power cycle the router and your modem, does it come back up? Or do you NEED to reset to factory settings?

If you need to reset factory settings, might be a good idea to check if there are any firmware upgrades and make a backup of your settings. Or get a UPS :D

Well its not so critical that I need a UPS, its just my home computer. I have the latest firmware on it, and I can save the settings, but occassionally importing them doesn't work.

The router will come back on when the power turns on, it just isn't allowing anything connected to it to connect to the internet (the router itself is connected and is able to ping websites through the administration panel, just traffic from my computer and gaming consoles seem to get lost in the router.

It sounds like this is more of a problem with your Cable/DSL taking a while to re-assign the WAN IP to your router.

The only and ultimate solution is to get a UPS. Get a cheapo one and just stick your router and Cable/DSL modem on it and hooray no more problems.

Yes its certainly a weird situation... I just figured it was a problem for all users, and I was just indulging my curiousity in asking, but it seems I'm alone, haha....

I'm by no means a networking guru, so it could be a setting I have messed up or something, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask...

Back