WRT54G

OldDeadOne

[H]ard|Gawd
In a earlier thread I had problems getting my toshiba laptop to connect to the WRT54G and I have that fixed(but with limited connectivity). on the status page time is not showing,the destination lan ip is not showing submask or default gateway either. DHCP is off and the wireless is in gateway mode.nothing is pingable and I can't access the internet or my local lan. I'm a little bit at a loss as to what I can do right now. As before setup is Cable modem----->BSF41 4 port wired router--------switch----------WRT54G. Any suggestions as what else I can do to get access to my lan and internet for my wireless laptop?

How can I tell if its that chipset? My router is version 8.2. Also I connected the ethernet cable that runs from my wired router to the wireless router(removing the switch as a test) and a cable from my pc to the wireless and I'm on the net as I'm typing this,yet the status page still shows it's not pulling anything. The laptop can connect with limited connectivity and is pulling a 169. address. I feel something in the wireless still isn't right or maybe the Atheros chipset if it's in my router is to blame? I feel like I'm missing something(yet I was connected to the laptop and accessing the net with my 6 month trial of Server 2008 enterprise...weird and frustrating at the same time)

By looking at the documentation for your computer, or looking in device manager, or network properties.

A 169.254.xxx.xxx address is the IP address Window assigns itself if it does not detect a DHCP service to pull an IP from . You'll get the "limited connectivity" warning if so. So...you're actually not connected to the router.

So if the wireless router doesn't have nothing in the status the laptop will see that and assign itself the 169 address? I'm going to be getting a 54G wireless card soon and install that on my laptop and see if that makes a difference.

Edit: up and running,resetted router and redid settings and am now connected. still getting a 54g wireless card. wep sucks. lol.

Back