WRT54G + WRT54G

Octave

Gawd
Hi all...i have a question for you.
I have a WRT54G vrs 1.1 functioning as my main wireless router...however, I have a big house, and cannot get coverage in all parts of my house. Now, i have an extra WRT54G from linksys that i just picked up, which i believe is the newest revision of the router (havent looked at it yet)....and i was wondering if and how i could run cat5 to it from my main router so as to spread out a wireless signal..ect...and what changes in the settings i will have to make...ect. Currently there are 3 computers wired to the main 54G router.....and 3 computers/devices that take the wireless end of things.
Any help would be great :)
Also, i have just recently noticed using a 3rd party firmware and upping the power to the antenna....how much extended coverage will i get outta this if i go this route?

Yes, it will work, but dont plug the incoming CAT5 into the WAN port. Just pick any of ports 1-4 to use. Keep in mind that you will also need to copy over your WEP/WPA settings, as well as any MAC addresses that you've explicitly listed.

Or you could look into some nice firmware :) I fully recommend Sveasoft's latest alchemy revision. The WDS (Wireless Distribution) feature is VERY nice. You can rebeat and bridge your signal wirelessly. The only catch is that the pc's connected to the 2nd WRT will have the bandwidth's cut in half since one antenna will have to talk to the main WRT.

Thats kinda lame... unless your just using internet. I guess it depends on wether or not you need lan trasfer bandwidth. I'd just run a cable to the second router, but thats me :)

When you say you have a big house, I assume you are talking very big, since I have installed about 6 of these routers, and the main reason I use them is owing to the distance I can get the signal at (some clients have 6 bed houses). Where are you siteing your initial router? Is it at least on a desk fairly central and not stuck behind a cabinet in the corner of the house, location makes a big difference - I also assume your ariels are in a 'V' configuration. the other thing to watch is that one of your wireless devices is not of a 'cheap' b standard since these can play havoc with g signals in mixed mode.

cyberjt said:
When you say you have a big house, I assume you are talking very big, since I have installed about 6 of these routers, and the main reason I use them is owing to the distance I can get the signal at (some clients have 6 bed houses). Where are you siteing your initial router? Is it at least on a desk fairly central and not stuck behind a cabinet in the corner of the house, location makes a big difference - I also assume your ariels are in a 'V' configuration. the other thing to watch is that one of your wireless devices is not of a 'cheap' b standard since these can play havoc with g signals in mixed mode.

Unfortunatly, the way my house is setup, my office is in the basement corner kinda...however this is at least only half below ground. I was pondering getting just a plain wired router and then hooking up some WAP's....but for what ive needed up until now, the WRT54G works fine. However, my bedroom is on the second floor (thats basement, 1, 2)....in the opposite corner. I did some testing and i can get healthy signal by placing a router about 25 feet closer to my bedroom, or by bringing it up a floor..which i do have at least 1 lan cable running to the kitchen in the walls....so i could do that. But ya, the ariels are in a V...and everything i own is a linksys G product for routers/ wireless PCI/PCMCIA cards...except my new laptop which is centrino B/G

LoStMaTt said:
Or you could look into some nice firmware :) I fully recommend Sveasoft's latest alchemy revision. The WDS (Wireless Distribution) feature is VERY nice. You can rebeat and bridge your signal wirelessly. The only catch is that the pc's connected to the 2nd WRT will have the bandwidth's cut in half since one antenna will have to talk to the main WRT.

It actually has nothing to do with the antenna(s). The AP has one radio so it can only communicate with the parent AP OR the client that is associated to it, thus the bandwidth is effectively cut in half.

Back