WRT54G + WAP54G as extenders, need newer N hardware suggestions

SHaFT7

Limp Gawd
I have a wireless setup as a guest network in a fairly large church. the network is as follows:

Internet comes into a WRT54G. This broadcasts out an open SSID in full view, no security, so simple simple.

I have 1 network run going to the other end of the building and wired into a WAP54G. This is setup to repeat that no-security-SSID that the WRT54G uses.

I have another network run going to the other end of the building connected to another WAP54G doing the same thing.

This allows only one SSID to be broadcast, and the clients will connect to whatever is the strongest. This has worked great for 2 years now, but recently, the church has been doing some classes where a lot of students are bringing in laptops, enough that it crashes the connection. We've checked to make sure they weren't doing bandwidth intensive things like bittorrent, etc. I think we might just be at the limit of this hardware.

The church administrator bought a Dlink DIR-655, and DAP-1522 to try to have the same setup put in, but the DAP's don't support repeating. I'd have to make separate SSIDs, which is not what is really wanted.

I've toyed with just dropping DDWRT on all 3 linksys devices, but I wanted to make sure that I could replicate the same setup and that i'm not just at the limit of the hardware.

Note that i'm not repeating a wireless signal wirelessly, the WAPs are hardwired to the WRT54G. I've poor success with keeping fully wireless WAP54Gs stable for any length of time, but hardwiring them makes it great.

I need suggestions on newer N-capable hardware that will accomplish the same thing. I really don't want to wirelessly repeat as I don't want to lose that bandwidth. Has anyone done a similar setup that they've had good luck with with N-gear?

Because you started with Linksys routers, the feature you need (a single SSID for both router and it's AP bridges) may well be brand/firmware-specific; fortunately, Linksys/Cisco *does* make wireless-N routers and APs (for routers, you would use E2xxx and/or E3000, depending on if you need dual-band and.or NAS).

Are each of these APs on separate channels?

I guess what I'm getting at, is depending on the amount of analysis you've done so far, it's possible that you're saturating the spectrum, not the bandwidth.

I think I've figured out what i'm going to do. i'll run the same SSIDs on all three devices and just keep them on separate enough channels as to not overlap. I feel stupid that I didn't think of this before :)

Back