WRT54G is great :D

DirtyApe

Gawd
i just bought the WRT54G router and this thing works great! very easy to install. i setup a network between 2 computers and transfered a 185MB file and it took less than 1 minute. the signal is always on excellent and the laptop(which is the wireless client) is about 50 feet from the router. the signal has to travel through a bathroom and 3 walls and the signal never goes below 30Mbps when i transfered that file. i have a 2.4Ghz phone and i made a few phone calls and the signal never dropped once. right now im updating steam on the laptop and im gonna test out a few games over the wireless. :D so far so good!

i just bought and i think it sucks! Never worked for more than a day, signaled always died out, then the internet died for every computer. Restarting didn't fix it, resetting didn't fix it, nothing did. I even upgraded to DD-WRT nothing helped. If you've read my WRT54G is dying post you'll see that it is now in a hundred pieces with cables destroyed and the case in split in half. Never again will i buy a linksys product. A great use of my 40 bucks, at least i got rid of some stress.

Qwertyman said:
i just bought and i think it sucks! Never worked for more than a day, signaled always died out, then the internet died for every computer. Restarting didn't fix it, resetting didn't fix it, nothing did. I even upgraded to DD-WRT nothing helped. If you've read my WRT54G is dying post you'll see that it is now in a hundred pieces with cables destroyed and the case in split in half. Never again will i buy a linksys product. A great use of my 40 bucks, at least i got rid of some stress.

I feel your pain, but rather than blame the Linksys I did a litte more investigating. It turns out the house I'm living in is the problem. It's an old house (read: plaster and latticework for walls instead of drywall/sheetrock) which destroys wireless signals to no end. I purchased the wireless repeater (forget the model number off the top of my head) and set it up and have not had a problem since. I also had a Motorola 54G router and had similar signal problems. With the default hardware and settings, the router just can't output strong enough to compensate for the wall structure. That's where the repeater helps because it uses not only the antenae on the device itself but also the neutral line of the house wiring as an antenae.

*ADDED*
Forgot to add that the Linksys 54G PCI card in my PC has been the best card I've used to date, it even works great in my Mac. It's the plain vanilla card though so I can't say about the newer cards.

The_Mage18 said:
I feel your pain, but rather than blame the Linksys I did a litte more investigating. It turns out the house I'm living in is the problem. It's an old house (read: plaster and latticework for walls instead of drywall/sheetrock) which destroys wireless signals to no end. I purchased the wireless repeater (forget the model number off the top of my head) and set it up and have not had a problem since. I also had a Motorola 54G router and had similar signal problems. With the default hardware and settings, the router just can't output strong enough to compensate for the wall structure. That's where the repeater helps because it uses not only the antenae on the device itself but also the neutral line of the house wiring as an antenae.
its not even the walls because the B goes right threw it. The router just dies, i mean i get 0 internet even on computers that are directly connected to it through a cat5 cable. This has happened everyday. It refuses to even reset back, so then i go smashy, smashy.

Qwertyman said:
It refuses to even reset back, so then i go smashy, smashy.

I can understand the frustration, but you should have tried exchanging it or something.. perhaps it was some sort of malfunction with your router...

I got this router a little over a week ago and its been nothing but easy to setup and easy to use since then... no problems as of yet and pretty good range...

sniper991122 said:
I can understand the frustration, but you should have tried exchanging it or something.. perhaps it was some sort of malfunction with your router...

I got this router a little over a week ago and its been nothing but easy to setup and easy to use since then... no problems as of yet and pretty good range...
yea i know, but i'm a wacko and wasn't in a good mood today.

Qwertyman said:
its not even the walls because the B goes right threw it. The router just dies, i mean i get 0 internet even on computers that are directly connected to it through a cat5 cable. This has happened everyday. It refuses to even reset back, so then i go smashy, smashy.

That sounded like a faulty router. Eh at least it was only $40. I've paid more for a stress reliever. :D

Hookers are more than $40 in Indiana? :)

jk. hehe

We've got a buncha Access points over here; most are WAP51AB's. Configuring them is somewhat inconvienent (having to be on the same network and all, that kinda conflicts with how we use htem) but it's cool.

Qwertyman said:

did you keep any parts? Antennas? connectors?
i am always looking for wrt54g parts for stuff like this wrt54g Mod

Netgear guy myself. I had one router fizzled by an electric storm. Replaced it with the network storage model and slapped an external USB2.0 kit drive on it. Gnarly :D

I love my WRT54G, running DD-WRT. I love having a VPN server on my firewall, running a nice set of QoS rules that allow me to be on various services, yet still play CS with a GREAT ping.

Anyway, I switched from a Netgear and would NEVER go back. the only thing I now need it to OVERCLOCK that slow-arse CPU and make it crunch Distributed.net number for me too :D

My poor WRT54g is sitting in the closet collecting dust, my D-Link 4300 has taken its place. :D

I am using a WRT54G as well, its great. I took my BEFSR41 down and replaced it within 5 minutes, just setting up the standard stuff. WEP key etc...

Bargain for 40 bucks, great singal strength, no problems whatsoever with my 9300 out on the back porch

UltimaParadox said:
WEP key etc...

Hope you mean WPA key, as the WEP algorithm is not very secure.

I got my WRT54G a couple weeks back, it's nice, and with dd-wrt, it's even better.

BillLeeLee said:
Hope you mean WPA key, as the WEP algorithm is not very secure.

I got my WRT54G a couple weeks back, it's nice, and with dd-wrt, it's even better.

Actually I was not too educated at the time of setup of the main difference, but since then I have moved to a WPA key now. Thanks to a few articles. Live and learn.

Personally, I hate my WRT54G. Every other week, for a few days in a row, my router will stop connecting to the Internet until I manually release/renew the WAN IP. It happens every 24 hours, so I'm assuming the router has IP lease issues. Wonder if there's any possibility that it isn't the router, but maybe the cable modem? I dunno, but it's frustrating. :mad:

On a positive note, there are some nice functions built-in. Specifically WPA, port triggering, and access restrictions.

it could be an incompatibility with the modem. i have the motorola surfboard modem and ive had 3 different routers(dlink,netgear, linksys) and never had a problem with disconnects or anything with them. i have heard some rumors a while ago about some of the older toshiba models having connection problems with certain routers. just a rumor though.

one thing i noticed with my WRT54G is that there is a wireless MAC filter option. if you only allowed certain MAC addresses to access the network then you wouldnt need ecnryption right? because the router will only allow the listed MAC addresses to have access to the network and it will block any and all other MAC addresses.

DirtyApe said:
one thing i noticed with my WRT54G is that there is a wireless MAC filter option. if you only allowed certain MAC addresses to access the network then you wouldnt need ecnryption right? because the router will only allow the listed MAC addresses to have access to the network and it will block any and all other MAC addresses.

MAC restriction only allows specified MAC addresses access to your network and internet.

You still need Encryption on your wireless, Because even tho a person can not CONNECT to your net work, does not mean he cant' pick up the signal and packet sniff what your doing.

Local news did a report on this, They were actually able to pull up to a hotspot and see what everyone was doing, without connecting dirctly to the network... Just sniffing the packets zipping through the air.

WRT54G one of the best models I have used, very good signal, and extremely configurable - not as easy to 'compromise' as some of the other manufacturers (and nowhere need the failure rate of netgear - every bit of kit ever purchased from them has failed). Set up at least 4 of these in UK, where the walls are solid stone and brick, unlike those hollow things in the states, and they have no problems with coverage in large 5 bed houses - even traversing to the second floors (US people read 3rd floor) in some cases.

Komataguri said:
MAC restriction only allows specified MAC addresses access to your network and internet.

You still need Encryption on your wireless, Because even tho a person can not CONNECT to your net work, does not mean he cant' pick up the signal and packet sniff what your doing.

Local news did a report on this, They were actually able to pull up to a hotspot and see what everyone was doing, without connecting dirctly to the network... Just sniffing the packets zipping through the air.

On a follow up to this, ensure that you use WPA encryption if available to all your devices - WEP has shown to be easy to attack if there is sufficient traffic (FBI did a demo - 3mins crack using the 'Auditor' set of tools - excellent package/Live CD - although they did admit it usually took 5-10Mins!) - MAC filtering is fine but it is only a couple of seconds worth of traffic to work out the MAC addresses and modify your own MAC address to a permitted one.

Komataguri said:

Like cyberjt said, I few minutes with Kismet and MAC filtering will not matter but it does keep the amateur bandwidth thieves away,

Actually both WEP and WPA are not very secure. Check out the book Wi-Foo to see just how easy both are to crack. Depending on the type of attack, WPA can be easier to crack than WEP. WPA2 is a different story.

I don't want to start WPA v. WPA2 v. WEP rants... But the WRT54G has made me happy and pissed me off. Lately, it's done more of the latter. I've had a WRT54G for a little over a year.

The signal is great, the range is half decent... But I have a very large house, so I hate the intermittent latency problems. It'll be fine at 54mbps in my living room then for some reason it'll drop down to 2mb then lose the connection.

I have an Apple Airport express, but for some reason the damned WRT54G will not work correctly with my Airport Express via WDS if WPA is enabled. I've browsed linksysinfo.org to no end. Tried DD-WRT, Sveasoft's Alchemy 1.0 and their Sartori releases. No matter what firmware I've tried I just could not get WDS+WPA working. And there's no way in hell I'm going down to WEP. Since I can't do WDS, I'm forced to set the Express to client mode.

Right now I'm thinking my only option is to buy a range expander (which I probably will not do) or to replace the router (which I am considering). Personally, I think my next purchase will be a D-Link. Their heavily marketed gaming stuff looks promising. I don't fall easily to marketing ... But I like the gigabit capability. Once you experience xferring 20+gb across a 10/100 connection, you will realize why.

The WRT54G isn't a bad router. Unfortunately, with all the options it's capable of, it lacks a few which are very important to me.

well i just jumped back on ship and purchased another WRT54G router on this board that i should get soon. Hopefully it works well this time around, if not i'll sell it. I looked at D-Link and Netgear and they consistently pop up with bad to good reviews. At least with the Linksys i can contact costumer support like i should have done the first time around instead of smashing it to pieces.

On another note, Are there situations (or what is the most common) where a router could overheat?

Qwertyman said:
On another note, Are there situations (or what is the most common) where a router could overheat?

Crap stacked on top of them is common, so they can't breath or radiated eat. Heavy usage and warm ambient air doens't help much either. My WRT54g got pretty dang warm at times but this 4300 gets lukewarm at most even under heavy loads.

IceWind said:
Crap stacked on top of them is common, so they can't breath or radiated eat. Heavy usage and warm ambient air doens't help much either. My WRT54g got pretty dang warm at times but this 4300 gets lukewarm at most even under heavy loads.
well i currently run 2 laptops wirelessly and 2 computers directly connected from the linksys B router and i haven't (crosses fingers) had a problem yet, since it was before cisco.

Qwertyman said:

What IceWind said pretty much describes most factors. Make sure you give it ample room to breathe. Also, if you have a custom firmware that's forcing higher signal output to the antennas, you generate a lot more heat.

Back