Wrong way to ship a CPU

hellomynameis

2[H]4U
dscf0123addressedcoverdaa1.jpg

dscf0124coveraddressrs4.jpg

whats wrong?

i see the cpu is in bubble wrap, in an esd bag, and has the protective cover for the cpu and its caps/resistors underneath. what more is needed?

since it has no pins to bend it should still work. however I would have shipped inside a box with more protection.

Is that an anti-static bag and a padded envelope? if so, it is adequate IMHO. An OEM cpu container padded with foam and then in a padded envelope is better, but not everyone has those on hand.

So, I prefer the conventional box.

I'm not sure I see the problem...

Yes a box may be more secure, but proper precautions were taken to ensure safe delivery of the CPU. Now go leave positive heatware feedback.

I guess I will test it and see what happens

i just would never ship CPU or Memory or anything else via padded envelop

I crush my CPU with 100 psi daily, it's in a bag and sealed. That's fine.

Now if it didn't work you'd have an issue...

I ship mine in foam / hard tin case though. No way am I paying if it gets broken :eek:

I see no problem other than someone being picky JK
They should of went the extra mile and put it in a damn box

Agreed, I see no problem with shipping a CPU chip like this...
I've gotten ram in a padded envelope and ram is way easier to break than a CPU chip.
Besides, it came in the hard plastic protector thing.

Personally, I use a small box. Usually, with the CPU in an even smaller plastic container sized to fit a CPU with foam inside to prevent it from moving.

However, what you received is adequate for Intel LGA CPUs. They have no pins to bend, so a padded envelope with the CPU shield on and an ESD bag should be good enough for most cases. I wouldn't do it for shipping internationally though.

I'm with most others.

I got a E2140 off Ebay that way. Was a bit shocked, but it works fine. On 24/7 @ 100% for well over 4 months now.

That kind of packaging is totally unacceptable for my tastes, I'd never let a cpu out the door that way, let alone the mail.

It surely should have been in a box, or something with more sturdy construction.

id normally wrap the CPU in a ESD bag, then wrap that in 3 paper towels, then bubble wrap, and then inside the envelope...

but i'm paranoid. i've had shipping disasters and i dont need them, so i dont skimp on packaging. :p

Shipping a processor in soft packaging is the wrong way to ship a CPU. There is no other correct answer.

Lots of lazy traders in this thread, it seems.

Back