wrong time to pick up a dell u3011?

Whach

[H]ard|Gawd
well? is it? I'm soooo itching to pull the trigger....

main concern/attraction is price. Not concerned with the upcoming u3014. mainly considering to buy from amazon. (unless another is better). Already cancelled order from them - no late night decision for me without input!

Its the perfect time to buy my HP LP3065 just went up
I just saved 31% over suggester retail price
Mine was made in Mexico Jan 2013 Rev 8 cost $1,079 hardly any AG coating
Look at the unboxing of the 3014 here with yellow tinged whites and his replacement looked worse
His 2013 looks better
Pull the trigger cowboy you wont be sorry I'm not
Its sits right next to my Sony FW900 the best CRT ever made

2 weeks ago i purchased ASUS VE276Q 27-inch gaming monitor and was totally blown away by the quality. Compared to my previous 2 monitor setup composed of one Dell and one Acer 22 inch both. I mean its like I needed glasses all my life and finally got them and I can see clearly. With price of $350 with shipping it is really worth getting.

I'd rather get the U3011 for a variety of reasons.
1. It's cheaper than the 3014
2. It's not in it's first revision... Not bleeding edge technology
3. It fairs just as well from what I have seen from the reviews, sometimes better.
4. I don't use/care about USB ports.
5. Cheaper than the 3014.

I'd pickup another U3011 if it wasn't for bills.

My guess is the best time to pull the trigger is shortly after the U3014 is widely available. They may discount the U3011 further to empty there inventory, and if you're willing to buy used I'm sure there's some rich nerds out there that will go from 3011s to 3014s that perhaps you can get a deal from?

I'd rather get the U3011 for a variety of reasons.
1. It's cheaper than the 3014
2. It's not in it's first revision... Not bleeding edge technology
3. It fairs just as well from what I have seen from the reviews, sometimes better.
4. I don't use/care about USB ports.
5. Cheaper than the 3014.

I'd pickup another U3011 if it wasn't for bills.

Exactly why I'm thinking of getting one :) but do you think the price will drop any further - sales etc? (if anyone knows of any discount codes, would be greatful). Or not really and this the lowest it will go before reAching EOL?

Lucky for me I don't do surroound gaming - makes me feel queasy for some reason:/

Having used the u3011 extensively, I feel that it is a great monitor especially for brightly lit work environments. However, I would have an extremely difficult time choosing the u3011 over the u3014 - primarily because the u3011 uses a lot of power and the AG coating. While I don't mind the power consumption, the side effect of this is that the u3011 gets toasty. You can feel warmth emanating from the u3011 with extended use - whereas the u3014 is roughly comparable to the u2713h which has much improved heat output and power consumption. Using 3 u3011s - the heat output really is insanely high. It can definitely make a room noticeably warmer.

Furthermore, some may prefer the newer coating that dell uses. While I don't mind the u3011 AG, it works great in business environments - the newer coating that dell uses really is better for home use. Having used the 2713 H / HM quite a bit, I would have to state that the new Dell AG coating is quite excellent. I find it preferable to the old AG style used on the u2711/u3011.

Of course, price is part of the equation as well. At this point the u3011 costs significatly less than the u3014, which is another point to consider. Some may not mind the thick AG and heat output of the u3011.

Having used the u3011 extensively, I feel that it is a great monitor especially for brightly lit work environments. However, I would have an extremely difficult time choosing the u3011 over the u3014 - primarily because the u3011 uses a lot of power and the AG coating. While I don't mind the power consumption, the side effect of this is that the u3011 gets toasty. You can feel warmth emanating from the u3011 with extended use - whereas the u3014 is roughly comparable to the u2713h which has much improved heat output and power consumption. Using 3 u3011s - the heat output really is insanely high.

Furthermore, some may prefer the newer coating that dell uses. While I don't mind the u3011 AG, it works great in business environments - the newer coating that dell uses really is better for home use. Having used the 2713 H / HM quite a bit, I would have to state that the new Dell AG coating is quite excellent. I find it preferable to the old AG style used on the u2711/u3011.

Of course, price is part of the equation as well. At this point the u3011 costs significantly less than the u3014, which is another point to consider. Some may not mind the thick AG and power consumption of the u3011.

Is the AG coating similar to the one found on the u2410? If so, then its a non-issue for me as it does not bother me at all =) I don't think the heat will bother me that much as it'll be the only large monitor in the room. I think a large HDTV would be hotter!

Price-wise, I assume that the same thing will happen to it as it did to the wfp3007 when the u3011 came out. The thing is, I don't know how the pricing went then!
Anyone remember?

Is the AG coating similar to the one found on the u2410? If so, then its a non-issue for me as it does not bother me at all =) I don't think the heat will bother me that much as it'll be the only large monitor in the room. I think a large HDTV would be hotter!

Price-wise, I assume that the same thing will happen to it as it did to the wfp3007 when the u3011 came out. The thing is, I don't know how the pricing went then!
Anyone remember?

u3011 ag coating is the same as the u2410, I never found it to be a problem either (I've used both monitors). The fact that the AG is even better on the u3014 is just a bonus and not something I really considered.

The heat can be a bigger deal then you might think so I would consider that.

The bottom line is the U3014 is expensive, no two ways about it. If you catch me tomorrow afternoon I'll have some thoughts on 3011 vs 3014. I believe it will be better but I'm very doubtful that it's 500$ better.

u3011 ag coating is the same as the u2410, I never found it to be a problem either (I've used both monitors). The fact that the AG is even better on the u3014 is just a bonus and not something I really considered.

The heat can be a bigger deal then you might think so I would consider that.

The bottom line is the U3014 is expensive, no two ways about it. If you catch me tomorrow afternoon I'll have some thoughts on 3011 vs 3014. I believe it will be better but I'm very doubtful that it's 500$ better.

That would be very helpful! I've already ordered it via Amazon, but if it turns out that the 3014 is massively better, I can always return it. most likely I won't, just because of the price.
When do you think, if ever, the 3014 will drop to u3011 levels? Wonder how long it took the u3011 to drop from its release date.

Been looking at u3011 prices since it was released, and it didn't fall in price until its replacement was announced. Maybe a $200 off sale, but never saw anything better than tha unless usedt.

I've watched 3011 prices for a long time and they rarely move unless there's some deal for a few days or such. I wouldn't count on a 3014 price drop anytime remotely soon.

Edit: Xinmosni beat me. :eek:

Keep in mind that 4K monitors are already a reality and will be becoming more commonplace in the next two years, so that may push the price of all 30" IPS monitors down. Even moreso whenever OLED rears its head.

OLED monitors were "right around the corner" in 2008. There's always something better coming. I prefer not to sit around waiting.

Keep in mind that 4K monitors are already a reality and will be becoming more commonplace in the next two years, so that may push the price of all 30" IPS monitors down. Even moreso whenever OLED rears its head.

Well, I would welcome OLED screens etc, but there hasnt been much movement on it except for smartphone screens and portable game consoles. I wont expect monitor versions until after mass HDTV OLED releases. Who knows when that will happen. If & when it does, I'll buy one as a 3rd screen!

Well judging from my PS Vita's screen, there are mucho improvementos to be made to the tech before I'd want it on a monitor. Two biggest issues atm: burn-in and that weird effect during all-black cutscenes (forget the name at the moment, but translates to 90% black screen, 10% swamp-colored).

Plenty of people are dumb enough to buy edge-lit LED instead of CCFL though (regardless of panel quality, usually because they're lighter and skinnier), so I suspect many will also be in line for OLED and its faults.

I agree. I think it will take a while before the next gen screens gain maturity in quality - and that wont happen until they are released and iterated upon.

Does [H] have any sponsored purchasing from Fry's?

Was thinking of going directly to the store asking them to price match with amazon and pick it up today instead of waiting till the Saturday delivery.

I wouldn't count on it. OLED and 4k will be even more inflated in price than IPS panels are, and the demand is currently very low for $5000 screens. I wouldn't hold out hope for the immediate future, maybe in 5-10 years. Definitely not in 2 years - I could be wrong but I very much doubt it. 4k is hella expensive and no formats are broadcast in 4k yet. That's the big thing which will prevent adoption - 4k content won't appear for a long time.

As of right now IPS is the best tech you can get for high resolution on the desktop PC. As for the u3014 vs u3011...both are good screens, but if you can spare 300$ i'd for the 3014. Just IMO. The power consumption/heat output difference will be monumental, trust me - especially if you sit 2-3 feet away. The 3011 definitely makes my ambient temps several degrees higher during the summer ;)

Last edited:
I'm not counting on it either, but some competition is better than no competition.

2560x1600 IPS was the biggest and baddest on the block for many years ($10K medical/science-use monitors aside), so my reasoning was coming more from that angle than anything else. When 4K becomes more common, 2560x1600 will look like garbage in comparison.

Also, keep in mind we're talking about 4K monitors not 4K TVs. Anyone stupid enough to purchase one of those before mass adoption of 4K broadcast media is just that: stupid. You'd be better off putting your money towards some professional projection/theater room setup and using the rest towards a vacation, since I think the only 4K content being offered to consumers is DRM-heavy and manufacturer specific.

Well the main thing i'm thinking is that even though UHDTVs and monitors are different markets, the volume that the TV market drives lowers prices for all panels across the board. I remember 1080p computer screens plummeted (downward) in price once 1080p was adopted broadly for HDTV, i'm hoping the same will apply to ultra HD 4k screens. But it's a few years away I think.

Trust me, I want 4k to become a mass market product ;) the sooner the better.....i'm pretty sick of 1080p.

Is it normal for the bios boot info not to show over display port? only seems to show on my other dvi connected screen?

I purchased a U3011 about new years knowing that the u3014 was just around the corner. Going from a 3007 to the u3011 was a huge improvement so I'm happy with my purchase.

Is it normal for the bios boot info not to show over display port? only seems to show on my other dvi connected screen?

BIOS works fine for me with the u3011 over DP. Do you have a certified DP 1.2 cable? There are tons of wonky displayport cables out there....

Also, not sure if you're using dual monitors (sounds like you are maybe?) but only the primary screen will show the BIOS. Secondary / tertiary screens remain blank until windows is fully loaded.

BIOS works fine for me with the u3011 over DP. Do you have a certified DP 1.2 cable? There are tons of wonky displayport cables out there....

Also, not sure if you're using dual monitors (sounds like you are maybe?) but only the primary screen will show the BIOS. Secondary / tertiary screens remain blank until windows is fully loaded.

I'm using the cable that came with my u2410. The bios keeps on showing up on my secondary Samsung. I'll try using the cable that came with the u3011 to see if it makes any difference.

I've noticed this behavior as well, I also use nvidia. I don't believe you can change it, I wanna say that DVI-DL (top port) will always be primary, while displayport is always secondary. So your samsung if it is connected to DVI-DL may be primary and you can't change it outside of windows. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Finally got the thing setup & I am very satisfied with it. Debating now whether its better to keep my 1080p 27" Samsung next to it or the smaller u2410 with the higher 1200p resolution. Waddaya think?

Could keep both, but limits my desk space and haven't got a cable that is long enough =/

I've noticed this behavior as well, I also use nvidia. I don't believe you can change it, I wanna say that DVI-DL (top port) will always be primary, while displayport is always secondary. So your samsung if it is connected to DVI-DL may be primary and you can't change it outside of windows. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Hmmm. Wonder why they did that.

Man, get two Dell 2007FPs and call it a day.
PLP FTW! :)

Symmetrically, that would look great! But I cant stomach surround gaming, makes me feel nauseous =/ Might as well use the large extra screens I have =)

How did you find it in the end? Extra $500 worth it? I'm curious to hear your thoughts =)

How did you find it in the end? Extra $500 worth it? I'm curious to hear your thoughts =)

From another thread shortly after I got the monitor:

Some pretty crazy stuff happens in the bottom 10% or so of the screen in game mode during fast moving scenes. I may try to take a video of it. There is some shimmering but that's the least of it.

It's particular to very fast moving scenes, I think it would be quite horrible in racing games.

It puts out less heat than my u2410 and a massive amount less than my u3011.

I still have to play some more games on game mode, will probably play crysis3 some tonight. But initial impression is it's a great purchase.

However, this phenomenon I saw is there in the other modes as well, I have to admit I don't know much about monitor tech so I don't know what it is called, I'm sure someone else would recognize it immediately. Unfortunately I can not really find a long enough clip that shows it to bother with a video. I can only say it happens in every mode on very fast moving scenes for instance when the camera is flying fast and low to the ground.

In every other way the monitor seems excellent, as for my opinion of if it's worth 500$ more it's kind of hard to say but the led backlight makes the monitor so much cooler and I find that to be a huge plus.

From another thread shortly after I got the monitor:

However, this phenomenon I saw is there in the other modes as well, I have to admit I don't know much about monitor tech so I don't know what it is called, I'm sure someone else would recognize it immediately. Unfortunately I can not really find a long enough clip that shows it to bother with a video. I can only say it happens in every mode on very fast moving scenes for instance when the camera is flying fast and low to the ground.

In every other way the monitor seems excellent, as for my opinion of if it's worth 500$ more it's kind of hard to say but the led back light makes the monitor so much cooler and I find that to be a huge plus.

The cooling aspect & power usage is good to hear. Do you think the picture/gaming/video aspect is any better? Heat is generally not been an issue for me as I'm in a well ventilated & area and heat rarely builds up. If the u3014 ever goes to u3011 price levels, I will most likely pick on up!

So far, I'm quite happy my u3011 =)

I played BF3 and Crysis3 for a few hours each first in game mode and then srgb, I am not a person who notices ~1 frame of lag and didn't notice any difference between the two modes. I would say the picture might be slightly sharper than the 3011 but I can't be sure as I no longer have a 3011 around to compare.

The 3011 is a great monitor I used it for ~2 years. the 3014 is no doubt a better monitor but as for being 500$ better that's a hard call to make I'll leave that to others and their wallets and their bosses (wives).

:D

The 3011 is a great monitor I used it for ~2 years. the 3014 is no doubt a better monitor but as for being 500$ better that's a hard call to make I'll leave that to others and their wallets and their bosses (wives).

:D

Agreed!!!

Back