write delay error?

AmongTheChosenX

Supreme [H]ardness
I keep getting this message in windows. system is a Celeron D 331 (LGA775 layout), MSI 915P Combo Motherboard, and a 2gig stick of kingston value RAM. system was overclocking, but i've shut the overclock off. last I can recall it happened after I installed bit defender as an anti virus but I'm honestly not sure what this is.

Im going to try this tweak:
8. The LargeSystemCache Registry tweak and ATI video adapters. One peculiar set of circumstances that has been observed on multiple machines with ATI video adapters and more than 512MB of memory involves the LargeSystemCache registry setting, a DWORD entry found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
Management. This setting governs the amount of memory set aside by the system
for certain kernel processes. If it's set to 1 (which allegedly improves
performance on systems with more than 512MB of memory), it can cause data
corruption on some systems, and produce the "Delayed Write Failed" error. Try
resetting it to 0 if it's been set.

the only other thing i can think is that either the hard drive my uncle lent me is bad which i doubt because he had data stored on here with no issues.
the only issue i came up with was unless i formatted in western digital data lifeguard, windows would format it with 33.7 gigs, even though its a 60GB hard drive.

I'll try that registry tweak first i suppose
then i'm going to try and change the IDE cable.
then run memory tests (its a new stick of Kingston RAM, i dont see why this would be giving me a problem but whateverss)
then run HDD tests (again, doubting its the hard drive)

has ANYONE gotten this error before?

another thing, last time it happened (last reinstall, a few days ago), i was copying some files off my 20GB external hard drive to the 60GB, and having issues. dont know if that is the case.

I've never seen a "write delay error", but a "delayed write error" occurs when Windows was trying to write something to a disk and for whatever reason the disk disapeared to Windows (was disconnected, etc.). I'd check the cables first, and if they seem fine, I'd do an in-depth check of the hard drive and controller.

I've never seen a "write delay error", but a "delayed write error" occurs when Windows was trying to write something to a disk and for whatever reason the disk disapeared to Windows (was disconnected, etc.). I'd check the cables first, and if they seem fine, I'd do an in-depth check of the hard drive and controller.

yeah that is the error i am getting, i worded it wrong, sorry about that.

yeah i'm thinking it might be something as stupid as a bad IDE cable, this happeneed to my other sisters rig (cable was bad, and the hard drive took ages to be detected in the BIOS).

then i'll have to run a memory test, because thats really the only other thing that has been changed.

anyone else?

I would check the cables and then make sure you have proper drivers installed for your controllers.

I would check the cables and then make sure you have proper drivers installed for your controllers.

well the hard drive is installed on the standard IDE controller (which would be the intel ICH6R south bridge). I installed the intel INF drivers immediately after installing XP service pack 3, before which nothing was installed at all.

however, i did have it connected to the VIA RAID controller previously, and was getting the same error. if the hard drive was working before when my uncle gave it to me, and I got the same error on both the intel and the VIA RAID controllers, it leads me to either a bad cable or a strictly software problem, and not the drive or the motherboard.
(only wierd thing is that the VIA RAID IDE ports only have a CD RW connected it, and the second RAID IDE port has nothing in it at all!)

Could it be a MEMORY problem?!?!?!

looks like i'm going to have to replace that cable and see if that will take care of it. if not then i think i'll have to use an older RAID driver for the RAID IDE ports and reinstall windows.
i dont think that has anything to do with the error's i'm getting though, because all the errors are strictly on the C drive (which is on the intel controller), the only file transfer i did was over my network (which was my sisters documents, 17GB's worth, transferred totally and completely with no issues in about 45 mins, pretty good transfer rate from what I can tell). nothing is going over the RAID channels. unless i'm mistaken and not understanding how something works... :confused:

Cables or drivers, thats all i can recommend until you can elminate those two.

Back