Wrench VR Prototype Trailer

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
If you have always wanted to be a grease monkey, but have lacked a car, garage, or tools in order to do so. This new VR game, Wrench, is looking to put you in you in middle of the action with your HTC Vive or Oculus Rift. It even gives you a pair of gloves so you don't skin your knuckles. The detail that this guy is going to is incredible. Maybe we get shop class back in highschool now?

Check out the video.

I am developing Wrench for both VR and screen based play. Edit: The most frequently asked question I have been getting is about tools. I am planning ratchets, combination wrenches, impact tools, pry bars, torque wrenches, a shop press, and more.

Last edited:
This is the kind of shit I have been excited about and could be revolutionary training people in trade schools as well as anyone that wants to learn. Imagine learning to work on machines, not only from books, concept, and theory, but also gain actual experience and seeing how it all comes together (or falls apart). No, it's not the same as working on the real machine, but it's better than just reading and hearing about it.

After being a master tech for Ford for many years, this is probably the last thing I want to "play"

Costs a lot less than the real thing though. And you don't get to shot blood out from under your fingernails.

like where is the realism - at least have a mode where they parts fall off if one hand is not holding a part in place

building - have the fun is trying to get the pieces together while things are falling or spring or clips go flying....lol
you think putting anything together is easy as pie if you follow this

some thing like this would be great for people who want to learn and service thier own cars. like draining,filling and bleeding brakes, draining and re filling oil changing spark plugs etc.

ive been waiting for something like this, especially from car mechanic simulator.. they shouldve included vr with the latest game... but nope.
this dev group will beat them to the punch.

Does it come with the complementary stick of dynamite that you want to light up when getting access to that 10mm nuts to replace your sway bar bushings requires you to drop the entire engine assembly?

This is the kind of shit I have been excited about and could be revolutionary training people in trade schools as well as anyone that wants to learn. Imagine learning to work on machines, not only from books, concept, and theory, but also gain actual experience and seeing how it all comes together (or falls apart). No, it's not the same as working on the real machine, but it's better than just reading and hearing about it.

I think they've had this tech in the medical field for quite some time for surgeons, but now people don't have to pay an arm and a leg for it.

I think they've had this tech in the medical field for quite some time for surgeons, but now people don't have to pay an arm and a leg for it.

Except this tech isnt certified for use in the medical profession...so they still need to pay an arm, leg, and half their first born son/daughter for the certified version.

It looks like a really fun game!

Feature requests:
  • Rusted nut/bolt that takes hours to remove
  • Bolts / holes with completely messed up threads that need to be tapped and died
  • Incorrect parts in the inventory - but need to be used because you have no choice
  • Broken head bolt in block
  • Broken spark plug stuck in heads
  • Timing chain / belt off by only one tooth - only can be discovered after putting entire engine together
  • Oil filter put on by a gorilla
  • Sulphuric smell of gear oil

to hell with a Chilton, Haynes, or Factory Service Manual. if you could give me a VR teardown or buildup of any given process, that'd be worth an incredible amount. no more youtube videos filmed with a potato.. literally see the tools and angles. this cant happen soon enough.

Ah yes, the shop of the damned. Where buying new tools is easier than finding the tools you already own.
upload_2017-8-23_11-17-32.png

to hell with a Chilton, Haynes, or Factory Service Manual. if you could give me a VR teardown or buildup of any given process, that'd be worth an incredible amount. no more youtube videos filmed with a potato.. literally see the tools and angles. this cant happen soon enough.

You think they charge an arm and a leg for a factory manual? Wait until you see how much the VR data file for your car costs!

I have a great VR setup for this at my house. It's the full experience, sweat, dirt, mosquitoes, that lovely smell of gear oil as you crack open the diff, and several vehicles to choose from. I even have a couple turbo motors if you've never had the pleasure of flaying your own arm. For a small fee I will randomly remove tools from the box. If you want to experience the thrill of auto maintenance, I got you covered. Now please sign here, here, and here.

I will supervise and hand you beer as needed.

In all seriousness though, this would be a boon for those peeps that are too scared to check their oil, much less change it.

I have a great VR setup for this at my house. It's the full experience, sweat, dirt, mosquitoes, that lovely smell of gear oil as you crack open the diff, and several vehicles to choose from. I even have a couple turbo motors if you've never had the pleasure of flaying your own arm. For a small fee I will randomly remove tools from the box. If you want to experience the thrill of auto maintenance, I got you covered. Now please sign here, here, and here.

I will supervise and hand you beer as needed.

In all seriousness though, this would be a boon for those peeps that are too scared to check their oil, much less change it.
The difference being that the VR game only requires a relatively small room and minor investment. To have all the physical stuff like you do requires a great deal more space, money, and time to acquire.

I practice on my 2007 Jeep, 4th lift going on as soon as it's cool enough outside. Phoenix, 108...too hot to work on Jeep in driveway for 2 days. Looks very cool for people that aren't familiar with working on vehicles though!

Training applications for new vehicle component designs are staggering. I hope this makes it to some manufacturers technical college.

This is my game. Cool to see that it made it onto the hocp news.

Complete fail. Nothing was torqued to spec.
Torque specs for critical fastens are coming along with all the tools (including torque wrenches). The only fasteners in that whole video that would need to be torqued to spec are the axle nuts. Eccentrics on this chassis are usually torqued to bolt stretching (at least for motorsports use) and are considered one time use. From a practical standpoint everything else is tightened between tight and really tight.

Back