• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

WQHD with good scaler?

Lifeline99

n00b
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
15
Im looking for a display that can serve two distinct purposes
1. Software development
2. Console gaming (latest gen)

For the first, I need lots of pixels (=real estate), for the second, I need decent 1080p input performance. Do any 27" WQHD monitors do a decent job of scaling a native 1080p signal?

If only the PS4 scaler would output WQHD....
 
My recommendations:
Viewsonic VP2770
Benq BL2710PT
AOC Q2770PQU

Any 1440p monitor with an HDMI input will have a scaler. 720p idk about but 1080p definitely. I tested the 1080p scaler on the AOC and found it to be excellent. That would be my top recommendation because it is a little cheaper and I am actually testing one, and have found it to exceed my expectations for a 600 dollar display.
 
Thanks for the recommendations...Ill check those out.

How about the Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM? Seems like the reviews were good when it came out, but its already 2 years old...
 
Thanks for the recommendations...Ill check those out.

How about the Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM? Seems like the reviews were good when it came out, but its already 2 years old...

The Dell's got high input lag and crosshatching, iirc. It didn't make the list of NCX's best reviewed 1440p monitors, which, quite honestly is worth a thorough reading if you are considering a 2560X1440 monitor for any purpose, even if you don't crawl through all the pro reviews he's linked to in that thread. His recommendations should not be ignored. I wish I had just listened to the advice in that thread 8 months ago, would have saved me a lot of trouble. But it's been fun returning monitor after monitor this whole time, and I'll probably continue to do so out of curiosity and boredom.

For what it's worth, I have a matte Qnix QX2710 Evo II here, and I prefer it to the AOC (but it's a hard call) because it has smoother motion with its 96Hz overclock (and is 200 dollars cheaper). The AOC is stuck at 60Hz and it does make a significant difference. The AOC also has noticeably better grayscale performance, though I would be hard pressed to explain myself. It simply does gradients better, but at the expense of motion clarity (which I have begun to NEED rather than want in a monitor).

To illustrate, I have shamelessly pasted a recent blurbusters visual aid (Hope that's OK, Mark!)
Capture_zps1f27669d.png~original

The AOC I have here is somewhere closer to the 16ms figure, even though they claim it is a 5ms panel, it's obviously not.
The Qnix is about smack right on the 8ms figure, even clocked at 96Hz--you can clearly see the aliens eyes as he scrolls across. What do we care about aliens? I don't really except that I find the flickering of low refresh on an LCD eye straining. It was hard to let go of my FG2421 (which looks like the 4ms figure even with lightboost off, imo) and it's a little easier with the Qnix. 60Hz displays almost look like they have geometry issues they scroll so weird once you are used to smooth motion.

The qnix is a great option to have for PC gamers, but it doesn't have a scaler and the benefit of going with a Korean import branded multi input monitor is much less. With scalers they are all 60hz.
 
Last edited:
Does the 96Hz overdrive matter if Im never going to drive it past 60 (console games only...)?
 
The overclock-able Qnix/X-Star only work with PC's, consoles are limited to 60hz and can't be overclocked.
 
Yah, I kinda went way off topic. Sorry. What I should have said is that the VP2770 and BL2710PT have faster pixel response (slightly) and might be worth the extra cash.
 
Back
Top