Woz Cut In Line For iPhone?

HardOCP News

[H] News
So the big hubbub this morning is that Steve Wozniak didn’t really wait in line for an iPhone, he actually cut in front of the line to get his. Now, I know this may be the biggest controversy since that kid cut in front of you in the fourth grade at lunch BUT there is a bigger controversy at work here. What controversy is that? The fact that the Woz doesn’t automatically get an iPhone sent to him is a travesty / tragedy / conspiracy all in itself. I know most of you would have given up your spot to the Woz anyhow, I would have.

In fact, according to Doug and Patrice Broussard, Woz actually never waited in line at all. The couple, who were there, said the Apple co-founder lounged on some of the mall's nearby sofas for about four hours and then ambled up to the front of the queue when the store opened at 8 a.m and simply cut in line. No discussion.

I wouldn't have given up my spot. However, I don't think he technically has to wait in line, he would be considered on technicality a "store employee"

I'm surprised Woz had to be in any line. I'd think his old buddy Steve Jobs would send an iPhone to Woz's house.

I wouldn't have given up my spot. However, I don't think he technically has to wait in line, he would be considered on technicality a "store employee"

and with that in mind he would have to wait for at least a month before he could get one. that's typical store policy for most places. ESP on launch items. customers before employees.

I wouldn't want to stand behind him in line.

AMIRITE?

I wish that I were one of the employees of that store at that time, so I could tell him that "I don't care who you are, you have to wait in the line just like everyone else."
Damn elitiest bastards who think that everyone will just fall at their feet just because they think they are better than everyone else because of their "social status".

I wish that I were one of the employees of that store at that time, so I could tell him that "I don't care who you are, you have to wait in the line just like everyone else."
Damn elitiest bastards who think that everyone will just fall at their feet just because they think they are better than everyone else because of their "social status".

While I don't think Woz thinks he is an elitist I still would have made him wait in line like anyone else. Now if it was a really hot single girl then I probably would have worked something out if I felt I could score. :D

Without Woz, Apple would be another fart dream. Only tools wait in lines for a new phone anyway.

The store invited him there and the four people in line when he got there were fine with it. They actually wanted him there in the front of the line. The Apple Store manager allowed him to sit on the chairs in front of the store because he has a herniated disk in his back that prevents him from standing for extended periods of time without causing great pain. The only thing that is shady is that one of his friends showed up right at opening time and was allowed in front of the line too. Woz actually was uncomfortable with this since that person had not been waiting there with the rest of the people, but the folks in front of the line said it was okay. Again, they were happy Woz was there.

The store invited him there and the four people in line when he got there were fine with it. They actually wanted him there in the front of the line. The Apple Store manager allowed him to sit on the chairs in front of the store because he has a herniated disk in his back that prevents him from standing for extended periods of time without causing great pain. The only thing that is shady is that one of his friends showed up right at opening time and was allowed in front of the line too. Woz actually was uncomfortable with this since that person had not been waiting there with the rest of the people, but the folks in front of the line said it was okay. Again, they were happy Woz was there.

This is true, he explained it all on TWiT with Leo Laporte yesterday

There's no law that says you have to wait in line for anything, only etiquette. If the store doesn't do anything about it what can anyone else do?

If I had wanted one of these over-rated phones I would have done the same thing. Just hang around for 10 or 15 minutes until they open and swoop in. If someone says something and the store doesn't care, you didn't lose any time in line. If the store does care and they ask you to leave, woopety doo you wasted 10 minutes trying to get a freaking phone.

and with that in mind he would have to wait for at least a month before he could get one. that's typical store policy for most places. ESP on launch items. customers before employees.

Just to clarify, the Woz hasn't worked for Apple since 1987. Shame too, as he was a good counterbalance to Jobs' ego. He did education and charity work for a while after getting rich from Apple's IPO, and then founded a couple of startups.

There's no law that says you have to wait in line for anything, only etiquette. If the store doesn't do anything about it what can anyone else do?

If I had wanted one of these over-rated phones I would have done the same thing. Just hang around for 10 or 15 minutes until they open and swoop in. If someone says something and the store doesn't care, you didn't lose any time in line. If the store does care and they ask you to leave, woopety doo you wasted 10 minutes trying to get a freaking phone.

Wow, douchebags ftl. :(
Say the store only has 100 items ( iphones, copies of Halo 3, 3-headed dildos, whatever), and you get the 100th place in line. You wait for 30 minutes for the store to open, but you're pumped because you're gonna get something you really wanted. Just as the store opens, some d-bag cuts in at the front of the line. You just got boned because some a-hole has absolutely no sense of decency, and you might not even know it until you get into the store and the sales associate tells you they just sold the last item.

Obviously Woz isn't a d-bag, all 4 (lol only 4) people didn't have a problem with him going in first, and in his case, he deserves to have a sense of entitlement... He created the damn company that's making the product.

Eickst, you're the reason why we can't have nice things.:mad:

Pretty lame. Everybody is quick to forget the guy is a multimillionaire because he walks around looking like a slob, and spends time trying to get face time on Kathie Griffin's D celebrity show. To cut in line he should have bought every single person in the line their phone.

I heard this from TWiT from Steve HIMSELF.

Woz is a very friendly human being and wants to experience waiting for the iPhone himself. The Apple store REQUESTED that he show up. So he got there at 4 in the morning where there were only about 4 people in line anyway. Right away, he got special treatment from the staff and manager because, after all, he is one of the guys that got Apple on it's feet. BUT he has a herniated disk in his spine so he reserved a few seats for him and his crew outside the store. When the time came, people insisted that he cut, but he let the man that was first go first because he would get all the press.

Woz deserved it, and people respected that. The one reporter is essentially a troll.

Please, he didn't "have" to wait in line like the rest of these idiots...Publicity stunt for bloggers and the news to add hype the iphone. I can't wait until android comes out...

Woz is a very friendly human being and wants to experience waiting for the iPhone himself. The Apple store REQUESTED that he show up. So he got there at 4 in the morning where there were only about 4 people in line anyway. Right away, he got special treatment from the staff and manager because, after all, he is one of the guys that got Apple on it's feet. BUT he has a herniated disk in his spine so he reserved a few seats for him and his crew outside the store. When the time came, people insisted that he cut, but he let the man that was first go first because he would get all the press.

Woz deserved it, and people respected that. The one reporter is essentially a troll.

You are essentially a dick. The people in line should have kicked Woz's ass.

The people in line should have kicked their own asses for waiting in line..

Yea really. I just can't see waiting in the long line for a phone(unless mine was broken).

This would have been no different then if thye just pulled a few phones aside and let him get them later. Who cares.

I would have been more impressed if the Woz punched the guy behind him in the face on the way out.

I think Woz is clearly behind the wars in Africa. Oh wait, wrong "misplaced outrage" story.

Funny seeing everyone in the video card forums screaming about fanboyism between nVidia and ATi, while stuff like this thread isnt looked down upon. Woz volunteers for a lot of things, for example the NASA First foundation, where he judged a high school robotics competition. I bring this up because my Dad judged with him, and said he was a very nice, laid back guy.

Funny seeing everyone in the video card forums screaming about fanboyism between nVidia and ATi, while stuff like this thread isnt looked down upon. Woz volunteers for a lot of things, for example the NASA First foundation, where he judged a high school robotics competition. I bring this up because my Dad judged with him, and said he was a very nice, laid back guy.

Really.. he is one of the more likable Silicon Valley Elites..

Um so I dont get what I'm supposed to do here?

Rant about the Elitist Woz?
Rant about the wannabe-Elitist early Iphone buyers?

I think I'll just rant about all the Iphone headlines recently. Enough. Is it going to be this lame everytime apple releases a new Iphone revision?

Um so I dont get what I'm supposed to do here?

Rant about the Elitist Woz?
Rant about the wannabe-Elitist early Iphone buyers?

I think I'll just rant about all the Iphone headlines recently. Enough. Is it going to be this lame everytime apple releases a new Iphone revision?

Its by design bro. the new "hot product" stays hot longer and the price can stay higher if there is a continual "shortage". Just look at the Wii, They are still in short supply, same with some of the games.. and there is little to no discounting, and the units arent taking up shelf space. Its a Home run for the people selling them.

Who cares if joe consumer cant get one for 18 months.. he will still want it and buy it as soon as it hits the shelf.

Woz is one of the top computer deisgners in all of history.

He is also a super nice guy. I'd let him cut in front of me anyday, just so I could catch a wiff of his genius.

Spot on. And on top of everything you mentioned, Woz basically invented the mass market personal computer, give the man some respect.

If I were one of those four people, I probably wouldn't have minded either if Woz asked to go in front. However, it almost sounds like a publicity stunt. After all, if the guy is so important then shouldn't he already have some sort of VIP privilege to get one without standing in line?

Back