Wow! What a difference a router makes...

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
So, I have Optimum Online by Cablevision. I was using an old Scientific Atlanta cable modem with a Netgear FVS124G router. I was getting:

10.94 down
5.09 up

Then, I finally got around to switching out my old router and put in the new Netgear WNDR3700 that has been just sitting here for a couple of months. Bought it and never used it... yikes! Needless to say, my speeds jumped to:

31.32 down
5.19 down

Now, I finally got a new modem from Cablevision. It was in the mail yesterday and I didn't even order. I'm like - WTF? So, it said to swap it out and run through the initialization. So, tonight I did. WOWOW! My speeds jumped to:

ping 12
54.68 down
8.08 up

Amazing! I even did a test without the router... just plugged in my PC directly to the cable modem for a few minutes and got:

without router
ping 11
down 55.82
up 8.11

WOWOWOOWWW

So, moral of the story... use new equipment and your speeds will go up! I can't believe I was on 11 down and didn't even notice it... now, with 55 down, I can finally do some damage ;)

PSA: Get a new modem or run your own DD-WRT or your own PFSense :D

Unfortunately most of us don't have access to those kinds of speeds from our ISP :( but glad to see a nice improvement in your case! I assume that it was a DOCSIS 3.0 modem upgrade?

A lot of people don't realize that a lot of the older gear was manufactured when nobody had more than 10Mb bandwidth from your ISP. The processors in routers these days have higher clock speeds than most of our computers had back then!

wait so you were paying for 50mb speeds but using a modem/router setup that couldn't take advantage? How much money did you end up wasting?

i remember when I upgraded my internet from 16/2 to 50/10 I was well aware of the fact I needed DOCSIS 3.0 modem and a good wireless N router to really handle that speed (for wireless at least)

In fact I ordered both before I upgraded so I would feel that speed increase immediately :D

Yeah welcome to my world. I had the old cable modem for a long time. Upgraded a few weeks ago, amazing speeds now. I still need to swap out my crappy old linksys router, it locks up every so often

Yes, it's a DOCSIS 3.0 upgrade... amazing!!!

Yes, I was paying for 50/10 and not using it :(

Definitely going to use it now :D

Sounds great, I am about to deploy a Cisco 1841 as a WAN Router in my home network, however I am currently running a WNDR3700 also so I probably won't see the drastic jump you did.

Unfortunately most of us don't have access to those kinds of speeds from our ISP :( but glad to see a nice improvement in your case! I assume that it was a DOCSIS 3.0 modem upgrade?

A lot of people don't realize that a lot of the older gear was manufactured when nobody had more than 10Mb bandwidth from your ISP. The processors in routers these days have higher clock speeds than most of our computers had back then!

I do :)

1789813554.png

and only pay 49$ month. :)

Behind sonicwall TZ210

wait so you were paying for 50mb speeds but using a modem/router setup that couldn't take advantage? How much money did you end up wasting?

i remember when I upgraded my internet from 16/2 to 50/10 I was well aware of the fact I needed DOCSIS 3.0 modem and a good wireless N router to really handle that speed (for wireless at least)

In fact I ordered both before I upgraded so I would feel that speed increase immediately :D

Was thinking exactly the same thing lol!

Already i don't get how his ISP didn't gave him the correct modem for his connection.

I had this experience at a business that had their rented modem replaced...an old Surfboard to a new Docsis3 Cisco...wow...huge difference.

What a difference playing Battlefield 3 going from my Pentium II 450 with 64 megs and a PATA drive and 16 meg ATI Rage Pro graphics cards....to my i5 16 gig RAM ATI Radeon 6000 series SSD based gaming rig! :D

Back