wow: the shattering (4.0.3a) is tomorrow!

xenios

Gawd
The main cataclysm patch is tomorrow. At least according to mmo-champion, which is usually right. This patch will replace Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor with their new versions making the 1-60 experience brand new. This is by far the biggest change that wow has had. With the changes to talents in 4.0.1 this will basically be wow 2.0. You do not need to have any expansions to view this content.

Here is a c/p of what will and will not be available. Everything that is not available will be on 12/7.

What is not in:
  • Creating worgen/goblin characters
  • Worgen/Goblin start zones
  • Archeology
  • Professions past 450 (Illustrious Grand Master)
  • Guild leveling
  • Guild achievements
  • Eastern Kingdoms/Kalimdor flight
  • New Zones (80+)

What is in:
  • Portals in Dalaran/Shattrath Removed
  • Class trainers in Dalaran where portals once were
  • New race-class combinations (excluding worgen/goblin)
  • New Gnome/Troll starting areas
  • Changes to existing zones
  • New cata load screens
  • New cata intro cinematic
  • New cata login screen
  • New music
  • City Quartermasters, with rep tabards
  • Bug fixes
  • Class balancing
  • Druids, paladins, priests, and shaman will have their talent trees reset
  • Experience required to gain levels 71 through 80 is being reduced by 20%
  • New tamable hunter pets (Monkey, fox, dog, and beetle, as well as new skins for existing pet classes.)

That's cool. It gives people a head start in experiencing the new 1-60 zones without cutting into the brand new Cataclysm 80-85 zones when the expansion launches (besides the goblin/worgen zones of course).

Just uninstalled WoW today. I've put enough time into this game and its time to move on to other things. I didn't feel the hype for Cata like I did for WotLK.

Plus the fact I'm tired of dealing with other players of WoW.

I cancelled 2 days ago. Im done with WoW its not the same anymore. They made WoW for Babies way to simple to get gear & even leveling is weak now. The WoW community sucks also. a bunch of assholes & no one likes to help or they just ignore you.

I cancelled 2 days ago. Im done with WoW its not the same anymore. They made WoW for Babies way to simple to get gear & even leveling is weak now. The WoW community sucks also. a bunch of assholes & no one likes to help or they just ignore you.

I take it you're not aware that Cataclysm is going to be much harder in terms of getting gear.

I am looking forward to Cataclsym, way more than WoTLK, I thought Northrend was too depressing and lame zones, and just more of the same, the Raids were pretty good, but got old. I still think Vanilla is hard to beat, and I actually really like Outland, had good times with TBC.

As far as PvE fun goes, I think the revamped original 1 - 60 zones should be fresh and exciting to go through on a new race/class combo. I am going to try a Blood Elf-Warrior, and also a Night Elf-Mage. The new Worgen and Goblin starter zones should be cool.

I think the Level 81 - 85 zones should also be a blast, and very exciting to see the first time through. And running the Level 85 dungeons the first couple of times, as well as brand new 85 Raids.

But for me, it will wear out fast. Once I have leveled up a Horde and Alliance through the new 81-85 zones and done the Raids, I will get bored, and be like "been there, done that". Right now I am bored to tears waiting for new content, I am not one to sit in Dal, and spam trade chat for something to do, or go fishing or pick flowers for some profession, no thanks. I like new content to explore and run through, after I have seen it, I am done.

So hopefully Guild Wars 2 is not too far away, will be ready for it a few months after Cataclysm.

I am looking forward to Cataclsym, way more than WoTLK, I thought Northrend was too depressing and lame zones, and just more of the same, the Raids were pretty good, but got old. I still think Vanilla is hard to beat, and I actually really like Outland, had good times with TBC.

As far as PvE fun goes, I think the revamped original 1 - 60 zones should be fresh and exciting to go through on a new race/class combo. I am going to try a Blood Elf-Warrior, and also a Night Elf-Mage. The new Worgen and Goblin starter zones should be cool.

I think the Level 81 - 85 zones should also be a blast, and very exciting to see the first time through. And running the Level 85 dungeons the first couple of times, as well as brand new 85 Raids.

I agree with most of this. I guess having been in the beta for both, it gave me a sense of what to be expecting. WotLK didn't feel as adventurous as TBC did due to the blandness of the zones, so I was less excited for it overall. Plus, I had a feeling that Arthas wasn't going compare to what he was in WC3. The music and artistic detail was top notch though, especially Dalaran.

However, the new zones in Cataclysm have several distinct themes that are pretty great and fantastical. The underwater zones and crystal caverns probably my favorites. Twilight Highlands was the least interesting zone IMHO, though the horde intro quest chain ended awesomely. Then again, I played through it when a lot of quests were broken and mobs dropped nothing but quest items.

I am really looking forward to it. Probably more so than wrath. Back in BC i was an extremely hardcore sunwell raider. And then when wrath came along, having to raid naxx all over again for the second time for months drove me to quit for well over a year. Now that I am back I am looking forward to being able to casually raid with 9 of my old school guild buddies 2 nights a week with decently challenging content and yet still being able to progress.

I quit recently as well. I had not played the game nearly as long as most, but even in the 2+ years of me playing they dumbed the game down a boatload. It got to the point where they basically were just giving rep/achievements/gear/money away. Plus the fact that roughly 25% or more of the players were either dickheads or annoying kiddies.

Just got a hunter alt into Northrend and was thinking "Dear god, northrend goes slow". 20% xp boost will be nice, but I will probably be too busy leveling a tauren pally or orc mage to care about the hunter!

Just got a hunter alt into Northrend and was thinking "Dear god, northrend goes slow". 20% xp boost will be nice, but I will probably be too busy leveling a tauren pally or orc mage to care about the hunter!

Just got a pally into Northrend, agree with the hurray at the 20% change..but I will probably have to go get on my rogue to go gank Tauren Pallies....

I am aware but they already ruined the game in general.

I dunno. I played in vanilla. Was a hardcore PVPer (Made it 92% through Commander when there was honor decay), a hardcore raider (from MC through Naxx - guild was killing the Grand Widow when I stopped). I took a break a few months after BC and just came back in September. Overall, I really like how the game has changed. Sure, you can farm heroics for your welfare epics. But they're item level 251 and the 277 gear is still hard to get - and it's much, much better than the 251 gear. It seems that WoW is now as easy or as hard as you want it to be. Now, maybe you were a raider and your guild had Arthas on farm status in 25-man hard mode - I don't know. But for a casual like me, the game is certainly not ruined - it's better than ever.

Just got a pally into Northrend, agree with the hurray at the 20% change..but I will probably have to go get on my rogue to go gank Tauren Pallies....

Good luck with that. Unless rogues get a significant damage boost you won't be ganking much of anything, especially a paladin. Unfortunately I didn't start playing until well into the Wrath expansion, so I never got to experience what vanilla and TBC was like. But I can tell that wrath was not a good expansion at all. I think bringing everyone back to Azeroth was the best move the devs could have made.

Good luck with that. Unless rogues get a significant damage boost you won't be ganking much of anything, especially a paladin. Unfortunately I didn't start playing until well into the Wrath expansion, so I never got to experience what vanilla and TBC was like. But I can tell that wrath was not a good expansion at all. I think bringing everyone back to Azeroth was the best move the devs could have made.

80 rogue versus 20 pally = dead pally (Even if I am terribad on my rogue)

QFT on the bolded part.

I'm probably going to come back long enough to run through the new content and it will give me something to do while I wait for Star Wars Old Republic to come out. Other then that, i'm a casual gamer and I don't have time for raiding. So, I still feel like I am missing out on a lot of the the story. I have to head back to Outland and finish the quests (at least on my Pally). I'm sure there is a lot I never got to see there that would have been interesting. I finished all the quests (except for raids quests) on at least three of my characters in Northrend. Plus, it might be more fun to find a casual raiding guild (one that raids on weekends more for the experience then the loot) or start one. I don't know, I will give Cata a chance and if it doesn't work out. Star Wars Old Republic looks like a good one to head to. Or Borderlands can keep me occupied for a while.

Once I saw what they were going to do with Cat, and esp once I got a taste with that last big patch, I ran, (didnt walk) to the account cancellation page.

In all honesty, I haven't missed it since. I may go back at some point in a few months to peek and see how things are, but as a regular hobby, I'm effectively done at this point. I would like to see the new Goblin and Worgen areas at some point.

At least I've got Lego Universe to fill the hole for now. =)

Can someone please explain something to me: If we are getting all these new things with free patches, what will we get with Cataclysm when we buy it?

As a coincidence I just received an email saying that I qualified as a beta tester for Cataclysm.

Think its legit?

While I don't like WoW and what it does to people, I appreciate that Blizzard doesn't release it until it's ready. It's a pleasant change compared to most game, especially MMO, developers.

I still think the idea of any game taking out or tweaking content that's "to hard" is BS though. WoW is famous for this as well as modern EQ. In classic EQ times, there was content that shipped that couldn't be beat until the following expansion. I think that stuff is great because it creates the feeling of an undefeatable enemy. Sometimes it's OK if content can provide you with more than just one more thing to kill, even if it's only an atmospheric or cognitive challenge.

I can't really believe I'm asking this question but.... Does this mean if I sign up for the 10-day trial, I will see a new area? Do I have to buy cataclysm to get the new area first?

I haven't played this game in years but if it's as different as everyone is making it out to be, I'll give it another shot.

TO CLARIFY: Azeroth as we know it (other than Northrend) will be changed forever with this patch. Even if you do not buy Cataclysm, you will still be able to see and level in the level 1-60 areas. New race/class combinations, such as Troll Druids and Human Hunters, will also be available with this patch. However, WITHOUT Cataclysm, you cannot level higher than level 80 or go into the new level 81-85 zones. You also cannot make Worgen or Goblin characters. Hope that clears it up a bit.

Anyway, coming from a 5-year veteran of the game, I will say that I am VERY excited for Cataclysm. I was excited for WotLK, but all that went down the drain once they started catering to casuals. I don't mind that casual players get to experience more now (I consider myself semi-casual, I go to school full-time/work and don't have much leisure time), but they really went overboard with how much they changed the game. Cataclysm will be much more difficult, and hopefully also weed out some of the bad players as it comes; seriously, you wouldn't believe how many people I've been in BGs/PuGs with who still keyboard turn and backpedal and don't know how to maintain a proper rotation.

The WoW community sucks also. a bunch of assholes & no one likes to help or they just ignore you.

I'm gonna have to agree with you here. I logged in today for the first time in months and all my talents were reset. I quickly specced my warrior back to arms and jumped into a heroic PUG to test things out. I ended up dying during the last boss fight and got called about 3 or 4 profanities and was told to go back to halo! I was like, how does this guy know I like halo? lol. Anyway I didn't get mad but it kinda sucks how often you get stuff like this from wow players.

I'm gonna have to agree with you here. I logged in today for the first time in months and all my talents were reset. I quickly specced my warrior back to arms and jumped into a heroic PUG to test things out. I ended up dying during the last boss fight and got called about 3 or 4 profanities and was told to go back to halo! I was like, how does this guy know I like halo? lol. Anyway I didn't get mad but it kinda sucks how often you get stuff like this from wow players.

Blame Blizzard, blame the casuals. Blizzard in their infinite wisdom decided to make dungeons just another grind when they made the daily dungeon, and the cross realm dungeon finder.:rolleyes:

The last time I can remember running a dungeon for fun? Probably MGT a week before WOTLK hit.

ability to lvl to 85, create goblin/worgen, etc etc. those are two, right off the bat.

New log on screen

2010-11-23_08-54.jpg

While I don't like WoW and what it does to people, I appreciate that Blizzard doesn't release it until it's ready. It's a pleasant change compared to most game, especially MMO, developers.

That's bullshit. Blizzard releases shitty patches riddled with bugs all the damn time. I hate this misconception people have, just because of past experiences during the original release of a game. Even that can be shattered when you look at how horrible wow was when it was first released.

I'm sure we'll have a ton of bugs come 4.0.3a.

Meh, when I did heroics I got aggravated at people like you (I was quiet, rarely said a thing). "Quickly speccing" into some shit talents without researching and then being AFK or having DPS that is so low I could beat you at level 60. It was aggravating considering I put in time to learn what I was doing.

Carrying people sucks ass.

While I don't like WoW and what it does to people,

Does WoW buy itself, install itself onto people's computers, and force them to play? No. WoW doesn't do anything to people, choices people make do stuff to people. People aren't forced to drink alcohol, smoke crack, play WoW, or do lines of coke. They do all of that by choice. Don't make a video game out to be some kind of evil entity capable of controlling people's minds so you can use it as a scapegoat for their addictive personalities. I've seen people ruin their lives playing WoW but I've never seen WoW ruin someone's life, they ruined their own fucking life.

Also yeah carrying people sucks ass but it gives me someone to make fun of the whole time in the instance.

Meh, when I did heroics I got aggravated at people like you (I was quiet, rarely said a thing). "Quickly speccing" into some shit talents without researching and then being AFK or having DPS that is so low I could beat you at level 60. It was aggravating considering I put in time to learn what I was doing.

Carrying people sucks ass.

It seems like to me that a PUG is pretty much for things of this sort, testing stuff out. If you were really a skilled player that feels he often has to carry people, you would have a guild to run stuff with. Either way, that wasn't my point. My point is how being an anonymous person behind a computer empowers people to say stuff to others they wouldn't say in real life, and WoW is FULL of these people. If someone feels they have to curse out some stranger online for one simple mistake and throw a tantrum, then that person is either some preteen babysat by video games or some no-life loser who is probably 40lbs overweight and hasn't had sex in the last 5 years.

That's bullshit. Blizzard releases shitty patches riddled with bugs all the damn time. I hate this misconception people have, just because of past experiences during the original release of a game. Even that can be shattered when you look at how horrible wow was when it was first released.

I'm sure we'll have a ton of bugs come 4.0.3a.
You mean like how you can't inspect or debuff yourself with right click on your buff? UGH!

But I can tell that wrath was not a good expansion at all. I think bringing everyone back to Azeroth was the best move the devs could have made.

I completely disagree. I thought that WotLK was an excellent expansion. I honestly don't see how someone that is a fan of WoW could say it's not a good expansion. It brought wow back to earth and not some space sim with aliens and other planets ect. Cata is going to be a lot of fun and I am stoked to get my hands on it. A lot the people on this board seem to have already burned out on WoW and have nothing but hate for it. Sucks for them they can't enjoy it anymore.

I played since WoW first came out, then dropped out few months after BC. Never been in any of WotLK areas.

Anyways my question is: it is possible only to have some battlegrounds / arena fun? Or it's like in the old days, where 24/7 raid grinds gives you ungodly silly ammount of advantage while fighting with other players.

Just looking for a solid pvp oriented mmo, where items != skill.

I think there are too many elitist morons in PUGs. If there are constant wipes, I can agree with being upset or kicking someone, but crying cause you're "carrying" someone? Grow up. If you're too elite to help someone out, go on a raid with your guild and let the rest of us grind up our equipment and test out our talents in the heroics. To me, that's what they're there for anyway. Where else are you supposed to learn what you can and can't do (or should and shouldn't do) in a group? Certainly can't learn it grinding the quests (at least most of them). I had some cool PUGs lately when I had a baby fresh 80 shaman, who didn't gripe about carrying me through instances until I could get some reasonable gear. Now I don't gripe when I'm carrying other n00b 80's through. Different story when you get to raids where people should know what they're doing and how to play their class for a particular role...

Back