Wow... The Fosgate's own [H]ard...

so_cal_forever

[H]ard|Gawd
Last night I got the chance to cut and terminate my speaker wire cables after work. Got it right my first time trying! :) So I connected the speakers, threw on a CD in my shatty Sony CD deck (which will be destroyed Office Space style soon as this setup is connected to my computer), and WOW!

1. I wasn't expecting much bass out of these since they're not connected to a sub, but dang, there's some real bass to these babies! Of course I'm still gonna buy the Dayton 100w sub and leave bass in the hands of a subwoofer.

2. The sound quality is better than my X-530's in comparison (when the X-530's sound is not software-equalized). Of course, I expect the sound quality to shoot up when I connect my setup to the Audigy 2 since the CD deck is a POS. Though I'm diggin' some Pink Floyd on the tuner, and jeez, for an analog signal, that sounds great (minus the background noise, but it's radio, so thats to be expected)!

So for now they're chillin' on my bookcase until I can afford the Dayton sub, which is when I'll also snag the proper cable and some more speaker wire and pins. All in all, this is one of the best purchases I've made, and it'll only lead to more and more spending. :D

Big thanks to Pinipig, Godsmadclown, and of course, the infamous Mister X, for all your guys's help.

Stepping up to real speakers opens your ears and allows you to appreciate audio a lot more. GOOD CHOICE!!!

Glad that you are having a good time with your new toys!

BTW, steer clear of software equalization... I've never experienced one that didn't ruin the sound =]

Just hope that you don't catch a viscious case of upgraditis... it's much too easy in this hobby :D

As far as software equalization goes, on multimedia speakers I've owned it really makes a good difference with the sound. However, those not being the same quality as "real" speakers, I may be jaded. Oh well, I guess that's to find out in the end!

And yeah, I do have a bad case of upgraditis going on. I'm wanting to upgrade my Yamaha RX-300U reciever to an Onkyo SR502B 6.1 reciever so that I can go surround if I ever got the money. :D

The world of audio is a nasty place. Soon you'll be looking on Audiogon for 600$ power cords while you mull about what sort of acoustic foam would be treat your room :D

PS: Don't ever spend that much money on wires. In fact, I wouldn't spend any more than about 300 on all the wires in the whole system.

Did I understand you correctly that you were looking for a better amp for the speakers?

Ecost has some
good deals on stereo (2-channel) recievers. I think the best value are the refurb Onkyo items.

This small one would fit well on a desk for easy volume control. It's also inexpensive, and has a subwoofer output, although I don't know if it has an integrated crossover.

20 Watt/Ch Compact AM/FM Stereo Receiver, MC35TECH Factory Refurbished by Onkyo

AM/FM Stereo Receiver, originally part of the R805XT shelf component system, 20 watts/channel WRAT technology, sub pre out, bannana plug compatible speaker terminals, 30 station presets.

$49.99

They also have more traditional stereo recievers that offer better wattage, build, and likely better sound.

TX-8211 Stereo receiver Factory Refurbished By Onkyo
Key Features:
• 50 watts x 2 (stereo) into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
• direct access tuning
• 30 AM/FM presets
• 4 audio inputs (including phono)
• rotary bass and treble controls
• remote control
• headphone jack
• front-panel switching for two pairs of main speakers
• anti-resonant aluminum front panel
• high-current, low-impedance amplifier design
• oversized power transformer, filter capacitors, and heat sink
• FM sensitivity 11.2 dBf
• 17-1/8"W x 5-15/16"H x 14-1/4"D

$85.99

TX-8211 Stereo receiver Factory Refurbished By Onkyo

Key Features:
• 100 watts x 2 (stereo) into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
• direct access tuning
• 30 AM/FM presets
• 4 audio inputs (including phono), and 2 A/V inputs (composite video)
• rotary bass and treble controls
• remote control
• headphone jack
• front-panel switching for two pairs of main speakers
• anti-resonant aluminum front panel
• high-current, low-impedance amplifier design
• oversized power transformer, filter capacitors, and heat sink
• FM sensitivity 11.2 dBf
• 17-1/8"W x 5-15/16"H x 14-1/4"D

$112.99

Would I run into any problems running stereo off of a surround reciever? I'm really aiming to get a surround reciever in case I ever decide to go with a full surround setup.

No, no problems. It's not a bad option, but going for the stereo reciever frees up budget for a subwoofer. :)

Look for one with the multichannel analog inputs. I've had good experience with the Onkyo TX-SR500. A refurb TX-SR501 is $160 at Ecost.

I would do it the other way around......
upgrade the receiver then save up for the sub.
Once you have a receiver that handles the bass management duties many of the features that the Dayton sub offers become drawbacks that limit it's performance.
Besides the sub that GodsMadClown bought up in the other thread is a very nice match for that receiver. :D
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb10_isd.htm

Trust me, I've been considering it, but the thing is, I wont be switching out my X-530's for the stereo setup until I've got equipment that'll provide sufficient bass. Now, the Fosgates do provide some hefty bass, so if I can get the damn POS CD deck working and I can review some bass better, I'd consider it. Given that my Yamaha reciever is pretty old (15-20 years), do you think getting a new reciever would show a substantial increase in sound quality?

so_cal_forever said:
Given that my Yamaha reciever is pretty old (15-20 years), do you think getting a new reciever would show a substantial increase in sound quality?

Doubtful. The inherent technology behind amplification hasn't really advanced much since the development of the solid state amplifier. Of course, an integrated crossover is a nice feature, as MisterX alluded to. The digital connectivity would be cool too, since you're just looking at 2-channel playback.

For the record, these inputs will allow pins, correct? Or would I be required to switch to banana plugs?

RXV440_5.jpg

GodsMadClown said:
The digital connectivity would be cool too, since you're just looking at 2-channel playback.

What? :confused:

Nevermind.... see what not reading the thread gets me? :rolleyes:

Mister X said:
What? :confused:

Nevermind.... see what not reading the thread gets me? :rolleyes:

I meant that he could do a digital hookup to his MB S/PDIF and do without a soundcard upgrade. For two-channel playback of course...

Doubtful. The inherent technology behind amplification hasn't really advanced much since the development of the solid state amplifier. Of course, an integrated crossover is a nice feature, as MisterX alluded to. The digital connectivity would be cool too, since you're just looking at 2-channel playback.

Oh really? Amazing! Are we still driving steam powered cars also because I love mine, but ponder often if maybe technology has advanced to something better...

Alas, of course it hasn't, we are still in the stone age, wtf am I talking about.

GodsMadClown said:

It has advanced, but it's baby steps since amplification, by nature, has to be analog...so really all you can do is either try to reduce distortion, or make it more power efficient.

In truth is has advanced ages. Right now I'm listening to a Sonic Impact T-amp, and that thing blows the doors off of the sansui receiver I had to start out with (1960s era solid-state). The fact anything this tiny and battery powered at that, compared to a 65lb monstrosity that would dim lights as it turned on...is a great argument for how far amplifiers have went.

mustang_steve said:
The fact anything this tiny and battery powered at that, compared to a 65lb monstrosity that would dim lights as it turned on...is a great argument for how far amplifiers have went.

I like the fact that switching my amps on dims the lights :D

Digital amplification is probably the future. The way I see things heading would be active speakers with separate digital amps for each driver, crossed over digitally also. That way you'd have phase and time correct crossovers and highpower, lightweight amps, along with the ability to design intelligent room-correction DSP routines in easily.

Seems like a nice way to be heading, and I know at least AV123 and Meridian are following this route.

Back