WOW & Requirements : Whats the most important?

Jazzi

n00b
I have a Athlon 1800+ with GF4 Ti-4200 (64mo) and 512 RAM DDR 266

I'm still experiencing some occasional lag, but it's really not that bad.

What would be the best thing (cost-less) thing to upgrade? Change ram to 1go DDR 400, upgrade video card?

I was thinking of buying 1go Samsung DDR 400 dual channel for cheap.

Thanks!

Jazzi said:
I have a Athlon 1800+ with GF4 Ti-4200 (64mo) and 512 RAM DDR 266

I'm still experiencing some occasional lag, but it's really not that bad.

What would be the best thing (cost-less) thing to upgrade? Change ram to 1go DDR 400, upgrade video card?

I was thinking of buying 1go Samsung DDR 400 dual channel for cheap.

Thanks!

First Choice would be to get more memory, then I would get a better processor (or overclock), then I'd get the video card.

RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM

Got it? ;)

tat cpu is askin for some overclocking. Give a helping hand to WoW, oc your cpu!

Ya in WoW beta I still had my GF4 (128MB) with 1Gig of DDR400 and my 3Ghz P4 (2.4@3), teh game ran EXTREMELY smooth for me, in fact I coudl run at 1600x1200.

I'm playing EQ2 now, and the same can not be said there. hehe

When running WoW, go to the task manager and check your load. If it is above or even close to 512MB, then you need more ram. I know EQ2 uses about 400MB alone so WoW will probably be somewhere around 300MB is my guess.

Get ram. I have 768 ram and a 3 year old graphics card. before my ram upgrade, i was running 20 FPS slower.

Don't worry about graphics, My geforce2 still makes the game run at 30 fps and 60fps in dungeons. It's all about ram. And ram wil save you on those huge raids.

just curious too...about your lag....what are you one? broadband or 56k?

Sometimes people refer to poor frame rates as "lag", and that's a confusion in terms. Lag is generally accepted as network latency. Your computer could be running the game at 100 frames per second, and other game characters could be warping around the screen. That's lag. If your computer was running at 20 FPS, that's not lag, that's poor frame rates.

As to the question, I think memory is important. I have a gig in my machine, and checking the peak utilization after playing WoW, it's in the 600-700 range. Then again, I run at 16x12 with max settings, and perhaps that would use more memory than lower settings.

Jazzi didn't post his motherboard spec, but with older boards, you can't just buy higher end memory and expect to take advantage of it's higher speed, or dual channel capability, unless the motherboard supports it.

Back