WoW player's video card

Coolmanluke said:
Just give it a little while. Your wife will be ready to divorce you. Your kids will be 2 years older and you will wonder where the time went. Don't say I didn't warn you.
qft

Coolmanluke said:
Just give it a little while. Your wife will be ready to divorce you. Your kids will be 2 years older and you will wonder where the time went. Don't say I didn't warn you.
QFT, almost made me reconsider where I was going in College until I decided to quit WoW, probably the best thing I've ever done for myself, like drugs but not so hard to quit.

I am not sure... in my experience, a woman would rather you game, then tweak.

A hardware geek is less attractive then a gamer geek? I don't know... but evidence I have seen supports that.

The most laggy spots in the game is in the thick type forests.......

Look at my sig.....i have everything maxed which includes 6x adaptive AA (transparency AA for Nvidia People) and gets down to the lowest of 20-25 frames.

Go with the biggest card you can afford.

prophetx2 said:
Do you lag in say Orgrimmar and Stormwind during peak hours? You should install the titan panel mod, it will show you your fps. If it dips below 30 often at your current settings, then you will definately have issues during huge BG's and end game instances. Nothing is worse than getting owned from the back and dying before you can target your enemy from lag..

This is one of the games where you want the highest resolution possible because of the extra screen real estate. More screen = extra bars = more binds/accessibility.

I want to say a 6600gt might be a little low but it seems your resolution is not too demanding either. The extra ram you have definately helps..

Or you could just type ctrl+r to show fps.

Chris Lakies said:
The most laggy spots in the game is in the thick type forests.......

Look at my sig.....i have everything maxed which includes 6x adaptive AA (transparency AA for Nvidia People) and gets down to the lowest of 20-25 frames.

Go with the biggest card you can afford.

I get at the lowest/highest 33/100fps in WOW with everything turned up, 1920x1440 res, and 33fps is usually around the AH. From my experience WOW loves cpu first then gpu next.

My system:
pentium d 805 at 4ghz
p5nd2-sli
nvidia 7900gt + arctic cooling 5 rev3
1GB ddr2 ram at 533mhz

When I had my 6800 ultra I was able to run 1600x1200 with 4x aa and 4x af averaging 40 fps on a oc'd venice @ 2.5 ghz.

coolxboxgamer said:
my 7600gt runs me at max settings in game at 1280x1024 at 8s aa and x16 af, at around 50fps

Weird, WoW only allows up to 4x AA.

Performance wise there's nothing a newer card can really bring to the table at your desired resolution.

Eye Candy wise, there definatly is. Anyone either an nVIDIA 6x00, 7x00 etc card will admit that this is one of the worst games when it comes to shimmering textures. It also looks horrid with Multi Sampling AA. x8x0 series cards also shimmer in this title.

The best cards to play WoW, Eye candy wise at least, are the x1K cards specifically the x1800XT 256/512MB and x1900XT/XTX 512MB cards.

The High Quality AF eliminates Shimmering and the Adaptive AA algorythm smooths out ALL the jaggies. You end up with an image that is crisp, clear, sharp and free of jaggies.

Performance wise, however, the 7x00 series take the cake. The game makes heavy use of texturing, and the 7x00 series with there 24 pipelines available to them for texturing easilly beat the x1K's 16.

And that's that.

PS:
On the ATi rig I currently run WoW at 1440x900 with 6xAA (HQ Adaptive) and 16xAF (High Quality).
On the nVIDIA rig I currently run WoW at 1280x1024 with 4xAA (HQ TR) and 16xAF (High Quality).
The ATi rig is noticeably more appealing to the eyes, but runs slower.

Turn down your view distance from 100% to 50% (or even 75% if you need it) but the difference between 50% and 100% isn't very much at all, and when compared to the performance hit it isn't worth it. WoW uses up an enormous about of RAM and CPU power compared to GPU because of all the individual players and they're unique player's gear, skills, etc.

On my 3.0E @ 3.4GHZ I had EVERYTHING maxxed out (except view distance at 50%) with a low fps of 30 in orgrimmar on peak hours. In pvp I would get no less then 30 no matter where I was. The only place I ever got slowdowns was in Raid dungeons like MC, BWL, AQ40, Naxx etc where everything was happening at once and dropping my fps to 25.

P4 3.0E @ 3.4, 1GB DDR400 OCZ Plat, X800pro. Your computer should run it fine.

I would get a better video card, not that the 6600gt is bad in anyway, just loved having WoW turned all the way and looking sweet. I used a 6800 NU with the pipes unlocked and overclocked. I was getting 45+ FPS solid...maybe dropping alittle on BWL or AQ40 man raids.

60 Tauren Hunter and 60 Tauren Shaman. However i gave them up for a Silver Ranger in Lineage2. If you want to see a INSANE detailed game, you have to check Lineage. Here is a snap shot.

I would wait until you get to the endgame to make a decision. Once you start hitting the higher end dungeons - MC, BWL, and now AQ and Naxx, you will really see what 40 players all running around in addition to the tons of very detailed monsters and lush environment can do to your video card. Also, the battleground Alterac Valley is a great test - 40 people all blasting their ultimate skills on your screen with a lot of NPCs and a large open environment to render.

Highlife said:
I would get a better video card, not that the 6600gt is bad in anyway, just loved having WoW turned all the way and looking sweet. I used a 6800 NU with the pipes unlocked and overclocked. I was getting 45+ FPS solid...maybe dropping alittle on BWL or AQ40 man raids.

60 Tauren Hunter and 60 Tauren Shaman. However i gave them up for a Silver Ranger in Lineage2. If you want to see a INSANE detailed game, you have to check Lineage. Here is a snap shot.

i got 61 shilen knight, 40 gladiator and 40 plainswalker. i played lineage2 retail server for 1 full year...... i finally quit. the economy is insane!!!! the servers is run by botters!!!! botters set the price!!!! it is imposible to not ebay!!!!! it is expensive to play.... u must have high income to play!!!! i even witness sum stranger ebayed 200m at once before!!!! saw them deliver to each other crazy people!!! i aint gonna be like them!!! FFF it!! i quited.

OP.... how bout a x1600xt? only 130.00!

Highlife said:

Maybe it just me but im not seeing this insane detail, infact the ground/wall textures are clearly of low res and there isnt alot of detail to them at all. Thats no more (perhaps even less) detailed than WoW is and much less detailed then other games.

Highlife said:

What? WOW rapes those graphics. Or is that a bad screen shot?

DarkBahamut said:
Maybe it just me but im not seeing this insane detail, infact the ground/wall textures are clearly of low res and there isnt alot of detail to them at all. Thats no more (perhaps even less) detailed than WoW is and much less detailed then other games.

the lineage2 screenshot that guy posted is weak i agree!! its cuz he set on low settings!!! i got a x700pro and set everything to max and its 100 time better that! and its 200 times better than wow graphic!!!

side note... i cant even play on max in l2 with x700.... bearly med.... always low for nice frame rate.

What? WOW rapes those graphics. Or is that a bad screen shot?

yeah thats a jus a bad shot.... he did it on low setting.... trust me... lineage2 eats up wow graphic.. dont believe? then dont believe!

EDIT = lineage2 got the best charecter modeling!!! high detail armor! high detail charecter modeling! however i admit the enviorment graphic is jus plain! a field with plain greens... jus plain! trees with tiny detail... plain!!!! even u set in max settings the eviorment graphic will still be plain!! guild wars enviorment is more detailed.... even wow enviorment graphic is more detailed.....

but i put my word on it that lineage2 charecter modling kicks ass!!!

Ya its in low settings there....i do that when im in town....so it does get better, like 100x better, but on the last seige it was a slide show with 200 people.

I was playing last night ... and I went to ogirmmar and changed it as my home ... first time I ported there ... took about 30 seconds before my character showed up on the screen ... although I can move around and interact with NPCs ... latency is ~140ms ... so I guess anew video card is in the offing ...

Looking real hard on the X1800XT right now ...

Thanks for all the great info ...

That's not because of your video card, that's because of your ram/cpu and the servers. What's happening is because there are so many people there you get a bottleneck someone on your network line which causes all the packets of information to come back slowly from the server, which is why you didn't see yourself and stuff just started "appearing".

I played that game AT MAX SETTINGS on a X800Pro AGP with my slowest point being in 40 man raids during HUGE fights, then it would drop down to 25fps. THAT WAS THE LOWEST POINT, and it was because my of my processor and ram not my video card.

I wouldn't say it's your card man. Look at the first rig in my sig and sometimes I get the same thing. That's something that's occuring because of the server. I was in IF 2 days ago and I was getting a little choppy where there were a lot of people. In some areas I was perfectly fine. For the most part, I run at 60fps @ 2,560x1600 with max everything.

Ya, that happened to me all the time, the more people in front of AH, the more time it took for them too all show up after i hearthed into org.

On my current rig, playing wow with a 6800GT opened pipes/high overclock...was nice, but not as nice as my old rig with the X800XT.

Then I went to the X1900XTX, had the same X800XT look but was magnitudes smoother...made the 6800GT look like junk. The textures are that much better on the Xxxx/XT series.

I say going from a 6600xx to anything ATi is a MAJOR jump, but to another nvidia card, not much of a jump except higher frame rates.

Back