WoW Performance & Upgrades

CyberTrip

n00b
So, I'm looking at doing an upgrade to my system to make my WoW performance a little better. Eventually I will be going Core i7 but for now I just need something to give me a little more power. Anyways, I get about 40-60fps in WoW with my settings in Good at 1680x1050 res with 4x AA. When I'm in the highest settings at 2x AA I average 10-16fps. I would like to increase my framerate and I'm just not sure what do upgrade. I have the Athlon X2 4400+ and a GeForce 8600GTS 256MB w/ 4GB RAM on Vista x64. Seeing as WoW doesn't seem to be very CPU intensive I was thinking about going with a new GPU maybe a EVGA GeForce 250 or so. Something less than $200. I just need some opinions. Is my CPU the bottleneck or the GPU?

So, I'm looking at doing an upgrade to my system to make my WoW performance a little better. Eventually I will be going Core i7 but for now I just need something to give me a little more power. Anyways, I get about 40-60fps in WoW with my settings in Good at 1680x1050 res with 4x AA. When I'm in the highest settings at 2x AA I average 10-16fps. I would like to increase my framerate and I'm just not sure what do upgrade. I have the Athlon X2 4400+ and a GeForce 8600GTS 256MB w/ 4GB RAM on Vista x64. Seeing as WoW doesn't seem to be very CPU intensive I was thinking about going with a new GPU maybe a EVGA GeForce 250 or so. Something less than $200. I just need some opinions. Is my CPU the bottleneck or the GPU?

Where'd you hear it wasn't? It is WoW performance is mainly BASED on CPU performance.

NVM just read your post. Yeah get a new gfx card. Your card won't pull WoW at max settings.

As has been said already, WoW is based more on CPU than GPU. The FSB plays a very important role too. Just post on the tech support forums and a blue will tell you that.

So that is what I would upgrade first. CPU.

i ran TBC at same rez with max quality with an x1800XT 256 and opty 165. not sure whats holding you back

I just got a gtx260 (216) and that has pulled my frames up A LOT from my old 8600gt. Just get yourself one of these (pretty cheap nowadays, 160$?) and you should see a significant boost.

An X2 4400+ is not really the greatest CPU for wow. I was running an X2 5000+ @ 3.1ghz with an 8800gts 512. In shattrah with that card i would pull 15-25fps @ 1600x1200 4xAA and 16xAF. Swapping to a Phenom 9850 @ 3.0ghz with the same card, same settings i was netting 30-50fps in shattrah. That was back in TBC.

Swapping from the 9850 to a p2 940 @ 3.8 my framerates stayed much more stable than before. On my current rig WoW plays really well. The only setting I chose to turn down is draw distance, only because I don't need to see the entire zone at once.

Well, it appears that maybe I have a combination of CPU/GPU issue. Considering this is a pos Dell mobo and I probably shouldn't spend much money on it anyways I may just start building my new system.

Back