WoW Patch Notes & Discussion 4/19/05

Cryptic said:
What are your guys average pings and on what server? I play on Mannoroth and my average ping was 600+. Sometimes I wouget lucky get and get a 200ping for about 2 mintues...hopefully tommorow it will be back to normal though.
It was similarly laggy for me, but that's because of the massive raids. It'll be laggy all week, I'm sure, as people will try to build up honor points.

Well, after playing with it a little bit this evening, I don't like the new patch so far. Seemed like everywhere I went, it was a HUGE pvp battle. I couldn't quest for squat. Tried the "if you can't beat em, join em" approach, and started adding honorable kills. But after a while i figured it doesn't help me in any way. It's not going to get me more gold for my mount purchase or level me up. I'm sure a lot of it is novelty for the first night, but seems like it makes it open season on any one regardless of level. Gone are the days when I sweat after a upper level alliance rides by me on a mount and waves.

I have a Horde character on Eredar and this patch has pretty much made the game laggy and completely unfun. While prior to patch, people were PVPing just for fun, now that there is loot attached, the Alliance which outnumber Horde on the server seemingly 6:1 have raids in virtually every zone killing horde, and there simply isn't enough Horde to compete. Doing quests is impossible. Unfortunately it makes doing simple tasks frustrating... A shame too, I liked the PVP system prior to the honor system patch.

i'm afraid there's going to be rovign bands of 60s going around killing lowbies without many reprecussions. i've already been killed 4 times by peopel 10 levels higher than me. not that it's any different than normal, but now they actually have a reason to want to kill me. the penalties for a dishonorable kill should be doubled.

wfalcon said:
Gone are the days when I sweat after a upper level alliance rides by me on a mount and waves.
Ha, seeing a Horde wave at me makes me want to die because of the anticipation... is he gonna attack? Is he one of the nice ones?

Yeah, I tried to do some quests in Sun Rock, Ashenvale, and TM and it's a fucking gankfest. I mean, TM is a given, but for fucks sake, go take the fight somewhere else so ppl who aren't level 60 looking for a fight can do some quests.

Wow....that word sums up what happened last night on Arthas. There was a group of about 30-40 horde in the land between Kargath and Black Rock Mountain fighting an alliance. We got word of a similiar sized group of Alliance moving towards us from BRM so we formed up in the canyon between the 2 zones. At first there was just a couple alliance stragglers charging up at us, getting killed easily but after a few minutes they all charged on mounts and it was chaos. There were well over 100 alliance, it was like watching something out of LotR.. And it was happening all over the server, huge roving groups of alliance just zerging everything. I believe the ratio is something like 6:1.

Warlocks do not get a free mount

God, I hate people who make radical assumptions about something without taking more than 2 seconds to try and investigate what a quest entails. "Warlocks epic mount quest now in game" -- leads to "OMGZ WTFz0rz BBBQ!!!!! FREE MOUNT!!!"

Tell me if this sounds "Free" to you

To put all questions and worries to rest.

Comprehensive materials list:
35 Black Dragonscales (From molten core/BRS)
25 Dark Iron Bars (ONLY found in Molten Core)
6 Large Brilliant Shards
10 Elixirs of Shadow Power - Need 3 ghost mushrooms, rare alchemy item, for each potion
3 Arcanite Bars - 40-50 gold each on my server
406 Gold

Walkthrough:

Talk to trainer in Org or UC to get sent to the Altar of Storms in the Burning Steppes. There you will be given 2 quests. To speak to Lord Banehollow in Jaedanar and to get 30 raging beast's blood from owlbeasts in Winterspring.

1) Banehollow - He is at the very back of Shadow Hold. Make sure to buy a stack of potions before you leave the altar of storms to make jadenar friendly to you. Head to the very back of shadow hold and banehollow will give you a simple quest to kill a level 58 who also brings a couple level 58 adds. Do it with a buddy or any other nearby warlocks and you'll be fine. Return to Jaedenar and he will sell you the stardust you need for a mere 150g.

2) Owlbeasts - Go to Winterspring and kill -any- owlbeast for the blood. Drop rate is about 30-40% near as I can figure.

Return to the Altar of Storms in BS to get another series of quests. This is where you will need all the materials listed above.

Your next quest sends you to Scholomance. You must reach the Alchemy Lab in the room with Ras Frostwhisper in a 5 man group. This took us a couple hours and was by far the most annoying/tedious part of the quest, but those of you used to 5 manning scholo shouldnt have a problem. If you're really in a hurry you only need to clear the patrols and the first group of mobs on the right to be able to sneak in and release your imp near the tables and get credit.

Once again you will return to the Altar in burning steppes where you will have to buy 3 more items for 150g, 50g, and 50g. One of the items starts the quest, one of the items is used during the initial part of the Dire Maul event and one is used to summon the dreadsteed. Doesnt really matter which is which, cuz you need em all.

Head to the west wing of Dire Maul and proceed to clear the pylons and open the way to Immol'thar. Kill the big dog then med up and activate your jar that starts the quest. The Imp will set up a wheel, candle and bell. Do not start this event without at least 15 soulshards in your inventory as you will need to use many during the battle.

During the battle, the candle will deal damage to all enemies within the ring, the wheel will reduce damage taken by your group inside the ring and the bell will heal people inside the ring constantly. You, as the warlock, must keep all 3 of these working. When you see one stop working you can fix it by moving to it and right clicking it which will also expend a soulshard. If you run out of shards it is game over.

You must keep the things working while waves of demons come. They are of 2 varieties. Non-elite cannon fodder imps and elite felguard type demons. The imps are not much to worry about unless they are interrupting you trying to fix one of the parts of the ring so just keep their aggro off you and the candle will take care of them. Aggresively take out the elite felguard mobs as they spawn and use banish and/or enslave as necessary to keep from getting overwhelmed. Having 2 warlocks along for this part is not a bad idea (we had a warrior, mage, 2 warlocks and priest when we did it - yes both warlocks got credit).

Once you've been at it for awhile all the demons will disappear (when banish wears off those demons will disappear and so will enslaved demons when you cancel enslave). At this point you should med up and then summon the dreadsteed. The steed is a 61 elite that hits pretty hard and has a very powerful knockback attack. It is joined by a 62 elite dreadlord (the one you're stealing the mount from) who will sleep members of your group but doesnt hit especially hard. Try to stay within the circle during this fight as its benefits will still apply. Once the dreadsteed dies, a spirit will pop up that you can speak to. Speaking to it will complete your quest and teach you to summon the dreadsteed.

Yea...sounds FREE to me.

Jeez people, before you complain about something, at least bother to find out whats involved.....

/Rant off

Seriously though, with that long list of components, along with 2 instance runs and multiple boss fights, I think spending 900 gold even is sounding easier.

tranCendenZ said:
I have a Horde character on Eredar and this patch has pretty much made the game laggy and completely unfun. While prior to patch, people were PVPing just for fun, now that there is loot attached, the Alliance which outnumber Horde on the server seemingly 6:1 have raids in virtually every zone killing horde, and there simply isn't enough Horde to compete. Doing quests is impossible. Unfortunately it makes doing simple tasks frustrating... A shame too, I liked the PVP system prior to the honor system patch.
I liked it too...one thing I think they should do is if you gank someone 5 levels lower then you is take away ALL their honor points if they gank anyone more then 5 levels below them. I NEVER gank anyone more then 5 levels below me unless they are stupid enough to attack me first...its common curtiosy...blizzard really screwd the pooch on this one. Only thing I can do is try to level quickly as possable...heh

Direwolf20 said:

Just a heads up, Dark Iron also exists in BRD, which is a very easy instance for 5 lvl 60's/
Also, Ghost mushrooms are far from rare, they exist in quanitity in maruadon and in the hinterlands.

personally, id rather do all that work. why? because you should be doing that stuff anyways (going through the instances) and 900g takes 3-4 weeks of grinding, just for that.

yeah its not free, youre right. but IMHO, it beats 900G

Steel Chicken said:
Just a heads up, Dark Iron also exists in BRD, which is a very easy instance for 5 lvl 60's/
Also, Ghost mushrooms are far from rare, they exist in quanitity in maruadon and in the hinterlands.

personally, id rather do all that work. why? because you should be doing that stuff anyways (going through the instances) and 900g takes 3-4 weeks of grinding, just for that.

yeah its not free, youre right. but IMHO, it beats 900G

But its at least close to equivalent with the 900. You can't say its free, OR easy. And 30 ghost mushrooms aren't that easy to come by, I'm an herbalist/alchemist, So I farmed them a while. I don't see them up in AH too often.

Does anyone know if Blizzard will come up with a new system to stop level 60's from ganking
levels way lower then them?

Direwolf20 said:

God, I hate people who make radical assumptions about something without taking more than 2 seconds to try and investigate what a quest entails. "Warlocks epic mount quest now in game" -- leads to "OMGZ WTFz0rz BBBQ!!!!! FREE MOUNT!!!"

You don't have to go to Molten Core to get Black Dragonscales. They also drop off the level 51 - 54 elite wyrmkin in Burning Steppes, just north east of Morgan's Vigil. They're elite, but actually pretty easy to take down if you're level 60. My 60 hunter solos them no problem. You just need to have 275+ skinning in order to get the scales, so if you don't have skinning, get a friend to come along with you.

WangButter said:
You don't have to go to Molten Core to get Black Dragonscales. They also drop off the level 51 - 54 elite wyrmkin in Burning Steppes, just north east of Morgan's Vigil. They're elite, but actually pretty easy to take down if you're level 60. My 60 hunter solos them no problem. You just need to have 275+ skinning in order to get the scales, so if you don't have skinning, get a friend to come along with you.

Ok, but still ;). Its a difficult thing to get.

Direwolf20 said:
But its at least close to equivalent with the 900. You can't say its free, OR easy. And 30 ghost mushrooms aren't that easy to come by, I'm an herbalist/alchemist, So I farmed them a while. I don't see them up in AH too often.

yeah youre right. its not free or easy. (Epic mounts) My comments were based upon the non-epic mounts, and yeah I shouldnot have assumed the epics would be as straightforward.

Steel Chicken said:
yeah youre right. its not free or easy. (Epic mounts) My comments were based upon the non-epic mounts, and yeah I shouldnot have assumed the epics would be as straightforward.

To be honest, I even felt bad about how easy the regular mounts were ;). No harm about the assumption though, its just I've seen SO many people on the wow boards making the same assumption, and its getting to me. Its almost a canned response now that I post what i did.

But in fairness, Warlocks have to pay for spells for their pets (called Grimoires) along with the normal spells. They have the same costs as mages, for example, but on top of that there are grimoires. If you add up all the grimoires over the course of levels 1 -> 60, you'll get roughly 78 gold or something like that.

So it really all balances out in the end.

I just wish the Bliztards would get their shit together and release Battlegrounds as promised instead of releasing these half assed patches/honor system which just fuck up soloing for anyone not in a group and under lvl60. All the quest giving NPC's are dead most of the time and just forget being to fly in or out of any of the contested areas.

Now everybody gets to enjoy the wonderful lagfest in all the contested areas from all the peeps trying to build up their points. Makes you wonder if the Bliztards give any thought at all of the consequences PRIOR to releasing these bullshit patches on it's paying customers. As if the lag was not bad enough before the patch. I was in ST last night and had an average ping of 500ms or so(usually 50~80)...cast spell.. go get a beer and make a sandwitch it may cast by the time you get back, or maybe you'll just be dead when you get back. Nothing like that enjoyable 6 minute corpse run thru the jungle. Thanks for nothing blizzfucks.

See ya in Guildwars...

yea, the obscene amount of people fighting everywhere is a bit unecessary. I 'm still impartial to the patch, i'm on a low pop PvP server. We all realzie its a game, theres not as much ganking as there is everywhere else apperntly. oh well, gl

I'm on a PvE server and it's basically turned into a PvP server. Hah. But if you're under lvl 40 - 45 you will get killed in a second. And there's no one flagged for you to kill, unfortuantly.

Blizzard really fucked WoW over with this patch. Roving gank parties. Unbearable lag. And for some reason whenever I use feign death in combat I die (and I can duplicate this too). Also not to mention it caused the game to crash for the first time since I bought it. Hell, the first time anything as crashed in about 2 months.

shadowbreaker513 said:
Blizzard really fucked WoW over with this patch. Roving gank parties. Unbearable lag. And for some reason whenever I use feign death in combat I die (and I can duplicate this too). Also not to mention it caused the game to crash for the first time since I bought it. Hell, the first time anything as crashed in about 2 months.
Are you reading your combat log? Because you can take dmg while your feigning death.

I know I can, but I don't go from full health to dead while doing it. Also at least 1 of the times, I wasn't taking damage, my pet was tanking the guy.

Repeat after me "A test server is not a live server". Blizzard tried something new to augment PvP. It is still to early for them to figure out how to tweak it. You don’t just have to level in Tarren Mill and Arathi…there are other zones you know. You do know that…right?

As for the roving 60 gank squads, I do think they are a little overboard right now. However, after the first few weeks when people hopefully figure out how hard it is to get the upper level PvP gear they will give up an go back to their regularly scheduled instance grinding and level 20 griefing.

For the people on a PvE server. STFU up. You can't get killed by a PC unless you choose it to be that way. You can easily get all the way to 60 AND not worry about getting ganked. Please go back to your regularly scheduled grinding.

For the people on a PvP Server. STFU up. You picked it. The point of a PvP server for WoW is to be at war with the other side. Contested zones are exactly that...contested. You go there and you face the probability of getting killed by another player because you are at WAR with them. If you wanted a "nice n' safe PvP" (TM) roll a new toon on a PvE. I tend to leave greys alone…but I do attack all green and higher w/o remorse.

Before this last patch the WoW PvP servers were really not PvP. They were pseudo PvP because their was no real benefit to killing the "bad guys" other than "shits'ngrins". Now there is a benefit for killing thy enemy which is what PvP is all about. Just because you can't do everything like you used to (remember part of the reason why we pay is to have a continually evolving world) doesn't mean you can't find other places to level/quest. Adjust and move on.

However it is easier to come the [H] forums and bitch up a storm than it is to use your noodle and come up with constructive methods to get around the problem. If I bitched and moaned like most people here to my boss every time we had a problem….I wouldn’t have my job. The real world likes solutions to problems and not bitching about the problem till you turn blue in the face.

-tReP

shadowbreaker513 said:
I know I can, but I don't go from full health to dead while doing it. Also at least 1 of the times, I wasn't taking damage, my pet was tanking the guy.

You could be lagging and the game doesn't recognize that you've Feigned Death until after you're actually dead, so it's more a matter of lag, rather than a bug. Also, if you feign death in PVP and your pet is still alive, then your opponent is going to realize that you're not actually dead and they're going to keep hitting you.

Steamed Turtle said:
I'm on a PvE server and it's basically turned into a PvP server. Hah. But if you're under lvl 40 - 45 you will get killed in a second. And there's no one flagged for you to kill, unfortuantly.
How does that happen?

On Icecrown, the lag is a little worse (really bad during primetime). Luckily, my quests don't take me near South Shore much. As a nice side effect, however, my Sinister Strike crits are MUCH more damaging post-patch. Pre-patch I was critting for around 280-350, now it's up to 550-660. I can't really explain it. I gained one rank in SS, and +6% lethality talent point, but nearly double the crit damage? I dunno.

Raitei said:
On Icecrown, the lag is a little worse (really bad during primetime). Luckily, my quests don't take me near South Shore much. As a nice side effect, however, my Sinister Strike crits are MUCH more damaging post-patch. Pre-patch I was critting for around 280-350, now it's up to 550-660. I can't really explain it. I gained one rank in SS, and +6% lethality talent point, but nearly double the crit damage? I dunno.

Did that change go in on this patch where the amount of damage you do is now related to defense instead of level? That could be why.

I also noticed that my ranged DPS on my paperdoll went up a few points post-patch. Any other hunters notice that?

My biggest issue are the people who feel it nessacary to wait till you are at about 20% health before they decide to jump you. Getting tired of the people 10 levels below me feeling all high and mighty they can kill a level 55 guy who has maybe 600hp. Of course when I get back, they are long gone becuase oh hell no, they aren't going to be around for the retaliation.....

I mean really, there's honor, dishonor, and being a jackass.

DocNsane said:
My biggest issue are the people who feel it nessacary to wait till you are at about 20% health before they decide to jump you. Getting tired of the people 10 levels below me feeling all high and mighty they can kill a level 55 guy who has maybe 600hp. Of course when I get back, they are long gone becuase oh hell no, they aren't going to be around for the retaliation.....

Heh, guilty of doing that. Of course, he couldn't use that excuse much, as I killed him 2 more times after that (priest +3 levels from me)

DocNsane said:

This is the only real problem I see with the patch. PVP players picked it, and PVE players picked it, too. The only way someone can kill you is if you've consciously made a choice to let them do so. You have to deal with the consequences, now.

superthrawn said:
This is the only real problem I see with the patch. PVP players picked it, and PVE players picked it, too. The only way someone can kill you is if you've consciously made a choice to let them do so. You have to deal with the consequences, now.

Bollocks, we picked the way the PvP system used to be. If Blizzard decided to suddenly change all PvE to PvP servers I wouldn't say everyone on a PvE server deserves what they get because they made the concious choice to allow people to freely gank them.

This patch has made things really retarded even on PVE servers. Take a trip to Tarren MIll, or anywhere in that area for that matter. All the NPC's are dead so forget about getting/finishing any quests or being able to catch a flight out of there. And its loaded with asstards that follow you around trying to goad you into a fight. I had a lower lvl Pally following me around spitting on me for about 30 minutes last night. I knew he had at least 2 high lvl rouges stealthed with him as I saw the group gank some UDmage before they set their asstard bait loose on me. Got old fast. They should leave all PVP for the PVP servers and just fucking release Battlegrounds already, not these half assed patches that just fuck the game for many players. I joined a PVE server so I would NOT have to put up with this type of bullshit to begin with...

Back