WoW or EQ2?

josh_fick

n00b
I just cancelled my anarchy online account, mostly due to lack of quests etc.

I am looking for an MMORPG I can solo in and team up when I want to.

I don't want to be forced at say level 20 to find 10 people to complete a quest, I'd prefer to quest alone most of the time and team up for bigger missions.

I also don't want to have to search constantly for missions, but have them be found simply.

I don't want to level grind and PVP, I want to enjoy a fantastic world and get seriously interesting missions rather than the same kill small rat, kill bigger rat, kill tougher rat than that one etc ad nauseum.

so which should I pick folks? EQ2, or WoW?

thanks for the info, your opinions matter :)

i dont know anything about EQ2, but WoW does what you want. I solo 99% of the time, I only team up on tough monsters or the dungeon instances.

finding missions is easy...goto any city or town. the NPC's with little ! and ?'s over their heads are quest-givers/enders.

I can't speak for eq2, but for I've played WoW for six months now. The quest system in WoW sounds to be almost exactly what you want. There are many different types of quests, but you're not going to get around having to do some "kill rat" quests. I played to lvl 30 doing almost every quest on my own. There are harder "elite" quests and instance dungeons which almost require a group, but it's not mandatory. The quests are also very easy to find. While the graphics of WoW might lag begind EQ2, you will almost never see a loading screens (instances, zepplin ride, game start) and the game performance is stellar.

Obviously you can see which way I'm leaning ;) Hopefully an EQ2 player will respond with the other side of the argument.

Have to give another point for WoW. Solo questing is very doable, like the others, instances will probably require a group.

The quests are relatively interesting and definitely ease the feel of grinding. They offer both PVE and PVP servers.

In regards to the graphics, I actually prefer the cartoonish graphics that WoW has - just feels more fantasy like..

I can't speak at all for EQ2, which means I really shouldn't even post in this thread. But I am not thinking straight since I only got 2 1/2 hours of sleep last night due to World of Warcrack. If that is an answer to your question, great. If not, sorry.

World of Warcrack is my vote as well, but then I never played EQ2. I'm having a blast so far. The missions do tend to make you into the FedEx guy for a while, but supposedly (I don't know for sure) the missions get less "kill 10 of these", and "take this package to so and so" at higher levels.

However, the roll out has been less than stellar. Queing up to get in sucks, but understandable as you don't want to have 2000 people in the newb area at the same time. But, I was in a cave and the server lagged horribly, I died, took a half hour to get back to my body, died again, servers crashed, can't log back in... so I have no idea what's going to be left of my character when I play again today.

Not to mention that the game has been horribly stingy giving out bags. In OB I had 4 bags by lvl 10. I played to lvl 9 last night and did not pick up a single one.. F'in sucks..

sidenote: befriend a tailor, typically at lower levels tailors will just ask you to find 10 linens and they'll make the bag for free. They're getting the benefit of skill points and you get a bag.

looks like WoW is what you looking for. i cant speak for EQ2 as well, but i have the game and have not install it yet, due to technical issue.. (DVD rom died on me) but i have played WoW on Strestess beta and you can solo all the way to lvl cap and mission are just easy to find. go w/ WoW and you wont disappointed.

What kind of hardware do you have going for you? EQ2 puts a lot more load on the hardware than WoW does. My XP1500/1GB/9600 setup played WoW like a dream but feels sluggish in EQ2. The recommended system for EQ2 is a p4-2.0/1GB/"128MB DX9 card" while WoW wants significantly less.

Personally, I find EQ2 to be more enjoyable & better looking than WoW, but WoW feels like there's more 'exploring' to be done in the early stages. I'm at lvl 15 in EQ2 and have yet to travel all that far from my starting city granted, the starting city is pretty large. I guess part of it comes down to what kind of environment you want. EQ2 (at least in Freeport) is darker, dismal, somewhat 'run down' and generally more realistic feeling. WoW is brighter, more cartoony & doesn't feel as 'serious'.

Wow, hands down. I have never been an everquest guy because the game sucks ass.

Most of y'all that replied haven't played Everquest II. Your answers are all biased. :rolleyes:

I was in the stress test for World of Warcraft, both phases in fact. I also made it into the beta. I loved the game.

I do have Everquest II now though. I wanted to get the CE edition because of the DVD format, but they were all sold out(for WoW). That is the only reason why I picked EQII. I was torn between the two. It wasn't really a bad decision. I cannot yet give an opinion as to which is more fun, because I'm still a low level in EQII. Haven't really had much time to play. I can say that it's pretty fun. The scope is a lot greater than WoW. There's so much more you can do in EQII. At some points this can be overwhelming, but not in a bad way.

I'll give my unbiased opinion after I've given it more play time.

Well, thank you for all of your insight.

I read every comment and it seems WoW is the type of game for me. I have a few friends who are hardcore EQ2 junkies, so I got a lot of insight on how it works from them.

I just bought WoW today, and after reading about it online and seeing screenshots, I am drooling. I like the cartoony aspect, its the reason I like Blizzards games in the first place.

I thank you all again for your comments, maybe there will be someone else who this helps someday.

Harkamus said:
Most of y'all that replied haven't played Everquest II. Your answers are all biased. :rolleyes:
I'll give my unbiased opinion after I've given it more play time.

at least we were honest and said we hadn't played EQ2. Notice the ones who didnot play EQ2 made no opinion of it...and didnot slam it. How much more fair can you be?

We simply replied to the original poster, based upon your requirements, WoW will fit the bill...we never said EQ2 wouldn't. We fairly left that up to the people with EQ2 experience.

Talk about over-reacting.

josh_fick said:
I just bought WoW today, and after reading about it online and seeing screenshots, I am drooling. I like the cartoony aspect, its the reason I like Blizzards games in the first place..

To me, the cartoony graphics don't seem so cartoony after a while. It's hard to explain, but I guess the visual presentation fits perfectly, and after a while, you don't notice that the graphical style is not realistic.

I wonder if they are ever going to have provisions for housing? hmmm...

I have never played WoW but I have been playing EQ2 for the last couple weeks and I have to say it is an excellent game.

You can solo, duo, group, or raid, all successfully and all with a very effective interface.
You can "grind" reasonably fast, or you can "quest" levels a little slower, but make more money and get better gear by doing so.
They have a fun and effective crafting system, and crafted items, even those made at low levels, are often useful to other players.

I personally have finished over 100 quests with one of my characters, and killed over 500 enemies. I can tell all this simply by going to www.eq2players.com and looking up my stats.

Back