• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

WoW or EQ2 - MMORPG Showdown

What game are you looking forward to most?

  • Everquest II

    Votes: 32 37.2%
  • World of Warcraft

    Votes: 54 62.8%

  • Total voters
    86
WoW. Sounds more fresh than EQ2, plus you can get the Tauren to do the peanut-butter-jelly-time dance. I've heard nothing but good things about WoW from my friends who got into the beta (jerks.) It will definitely be where I waste my time before college this summer.
 
About the same timeframe. By the end of the year. Open beta is just about to start.
 
The majority of my time online is spent reading the WoW Beta forums... bring on the Open Beta!
 
I've played plenty of sony games, and they all follow the same line of thought. Release it before its ready and fix it later in a patch.

I've heard from EQ2 beta testers that it is NOT ready yet, and that doesn't surprise me in the least.

Blizzard, on the other hand, will push things back until they are ready for release. They'll do a GOOD job for a change. I have hopes that Blizzard will correct the poor precedent that SOE started.
 
after seeing friends weep and gnash their teeth over EQ and the indifference of Sony to player requests and complaints, EQ can kiss my butt


I played the WoW stress test, and its mucho fun...my hope is blizzard will be responsive to customers...thats the deal maker/breaker for me.
 
WoW all the way. I like my MMORPG's with PvP, hence the reason I played DAoC for 3 years. Camping loot just gets too boring after awhile. I know that there is alot more to EQ2 than camping loot but without any PvP element I think it will get boring quick...
 
HRslammR said:
this is bad... how?

Wow.. I was so disgusted with Diablo that I would hardly even consider playing it even if I got it for free, much less pay a monthly fee for a game that Ill lvl to 60 in less than a month. WoW seems way too casual. Why even bother if you have like an hour a night? I mean Im just able to justify the use of monthly fee games when I play them at least 4-5 hours a day. So I really see no point in playing a casual MMO.
 
Forget both of them... the game to play in the comeing months is GuildWars and its free to play.
 
hmmm I think im going with WoW for now. My friends are in both betas and they seem to like WoW a lot. I really like games that I can play a little more casually because EQ sucked my life to nothing when it first came out so ya :p.
 
Direwolf20 said:
I've played plenty of sony games, and they all follow the same line of thought. Release it before its ready and fix it later in a patch.

I've heard from EQ2 beta testers that it is NOT ready yet, and that doesn't surprise me in the least.

Blizzard, on the other hand, will push things back until they are ready for release. They'll do a GOOD job for a change. I have hopes that Blizzard will correct the poor precedent that SOE started.


then you heard wrong i have been beta testing eq2 since first phase and it works great ..i have never experience more than one total crash .. WoW on the other hand crashed several times on me and a load of bugs made it hard for me to enjoy it . Graphics are also too cartoony for me .. i mean not to insult WoW artists .. but EQ2 blows WoW graphics and gameplay (in my mind) out of the water. Simple as that .. considering EQ 1 was the FIRST 3D MMORPG period and did so many new things (while encoutering bugs along the way no doubt but name me one MMORPG that doesn't have its bugs?) atleast those are my thoughts ..just don't like it when some "hear's " from other people how a game is ..play it and judge for your-self.
 
101998 said:
WoW is way to simple IMO, it is like Diablo on a larger scale.

I agree, played WoW for about 2 days before I figured it wasn't the game for me, too simplified. I have been in the EQ2 Beta for a bit now, and contrary to popular belief it is very playable. There are some bugs here and there, but unlike EQ1 or WoW it isn't a whack-a-mole type of game It actually requires a little (not much, mind you) thinking, and with being able to tailor your character with added bonus its shaping up pretty well imo. Now granted I haven't followed WoW since, well, since I couldn't make it thru the stress test without being bored out of my mind, so unless thta game changes a bit I am not interested in it at all. The only thing that'll kill EQ2 for me is lack of GM interactions, i.e. GM events kicked ass in EQ1 but seeing a GM online wel that was a different story.


Now what I am curious about is these 'beta' testers that say EQ2 is far from ready. It is plenty playable up until mid to high 20s (thats as far as I was on Beta 1, moved to Beta 2) and playability aftter that I can't comment on since I wasn't there...Looks like machine beat me to it, well the graphics are pretty amazing for the type of game EQ is. I am not saying WoW has bad graphics, they are too cartoony for my tastes I kept waiting for a cutscene of Bert & Ernie charging up Orc Hill swords raised for Frodo style.
 
I just got to spend the last few hours getting my character to level 6 in the Everquest II beta. It really is somthing.

The graphics are death though. No card out today will be able to handle this engine at full capacity. I am running it on a X800pro and have it a mid level settings just to make it playable.

That said. The engine isnt spectacualr. Was thouroughly unimpressed with it in third person mode.

But then I switched it to first person and that is where things start too look very nice. But that said first person is too cumbersome to move around with.Thats my only complaint.

I am sure the EQ fans will be amazed. MMORPG arent my thing but EQ2 certainly is well thought out and well made. Time will tell if its enjoyment will last though.
 
Eq2 for sure. I like the Horde vs. Alliance thing for WoW, makes it feel a little like DOAC, but pvp aside, WoW has nothing on EQ2.
 
WoWs looks > EQ2s looks, IMO. The reason for my conclusion is pretty simple. EQ2 is trying to look realistic while WoW is using its own artistic style, which look great. Becuase EQ2 is trying to look realistic it will never look 100% realistic, obviously due to the constraints of technology. Plus, games like Doom 3, Farcry, and Half Life 2, graphics wise, have already done a better job. I have seen screenshots of EQ2, recent ones, not pre-renders, and I have to say I am not impressed at all. Meanwhile WoW has created a great set of graphics style and is by no means trying to make it look realistic, they are trying to make it look like a game, and I can honestly say I like that more because of how nicely things have been put together.
 
I will take eq2 over wow. I think though while they are both in competition with each other they are aimed towards a differant player base. wow seems more aimed to a younger crowd and eq2 to a older one. I have a feeing they both will do well because of that.
 
Shane said:
Forget both of them... the game to play in the comeing months is GuildWars and its free to play.

i agree totally... this is what is persuading me so much, guild wars is like a sweet diablo with no monthly payment which is huge for me...

-warsaw
 
Well I'm in the EQ2 beta, and while I've never played WoW (waiting for open), they're more similar than a lot of people would think. EQ2 is pretty much absolutely nothing like EQ, it's much more like WoW than anything that I've seen. Gameplay is in to lv. 40+ in EQ2, as guilds like Ebonlore (hardcore powergaming guilds) are hitting levels 40+. I spoke with Ewle (Ebonlore founder) and she's playing 15+ hours PER DAY, so the higher level content is in. The game is far from ready though, anything before Thanksgiving is extremely optimistic. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Dec. 31st release ;)
 
Anyone see how fast those EQII keys went on Fileplanet? God damn. Wonder if WoW is gonna do something like that. Doubt it since open is coming soon though. Good thing I'm already in :D.
 
The keys vanished. I didn't get in the first round and boy was I ticked. So I kept the registration window open until Saturday for the next round. I spammed it hard and got in. :)

I was in WoW stress test. From what I can tell it's going to be a tough choice for me. Both EQ2 and WoW are awesome. The sounds in EQ2 are phenomenal and the world itself is totally immersive. WoW gameplay had such a smooth feel to it. Uggh... There's just not enough time in the day to play 2 MMOs and hold a full time job. :D
 
Back
Top