wow on a mac?

friend of mine is getting a mac tomorow

all he does is msn. surf and play world of warcrack

he asked me tonight how to install wow on a mac. and im lost?
do i need a mac specific version? or will the copy he already has work?

or is there a file place i can get a download of it from?

i googled and found squat :(

did you look at the wow website? it is pretty comprehensive...

There is a Mac client, I am not sure about outa the box version of WoW, but if you get him to email himself a trial key you can download the full version of the game off their website. There you can choose a PC or a MAC version download.

did you look at the wow website? it is pretty comprehensive...

You're pretty helpful around here lately...

The same CDs for Windows will work for Mac, it's a hybrid CD, every Blizzard game works on a Mac if I'm not mistaken.

Just pop it into the Mac and click install.somemacextansion

It should work, all Blizzard games can be played on Macs, there one of the rare company's that make hybrid games. Blizzard FTW.

WOW on Mac has issues, not to mention that whatever Vent server he uses will have to have Speex installed to be compatible. I know my guild has that all set up but I have heard a lot of bitching in other guilds who don't know things about that.

He was better off with a PC.

Is it even possible to run it in Parallels?

[me=not a mac user, obviously]

hmm

dang well ill let him know

i dunno he wont let me build him one and is out to buy a hp system or sony :|

so i told him he's better off with a mac. LOL

There's nothing wrong with the WoW client at all on Macs. It's a Universal binary, so it runs full speed native in OS X. The other alternatives are Boot Camp (dual-boot into windows), and Parallels just released 3.0 which allows for 3D accelleration - I have no idea what the performance would be like (definitely not as good as native OS X or Boot Camp), but it's a possibility.

My brother used to play WoW on his Mac, and it seemed to work just fine. TeamSpeak works as well; don't know about the other audio communication systems.

Basically unplayable in OSX on my MacBook, averages 8 FPS staring at walls in the middle of nowhere. Runs at an acceptable 20FPS in Win XP on it.

Seems Apple did a piss poor job with their OSX Intel Integrated drivers. Game runs beautifully on my friend's 15" MBP with an X1600.

I have a macbook with integrade video and WoW works just fine!

It's even windowed right now with command+M

Before I got my mac I was told an older patch just about doubled the performance of WoW on the mac side.

Runs great for me, except when I'm in Iron forge since I only have integrated video and it's quite old and slow ;)

Basically unplayable in OSX on my MacBook, averages 8 FPS staring at walls in the middle of nowhere. Runs at an acceptable 20FPS in Win XP on it.

Seems Apple did a piss poor job with their OSX Intel Integrated drivers. Game runs beautifully on my friend's 15" MBP with an X1600.

its not a driver issue - its called "Intel GMA 950"

I still get 25-35 FPS with a GMA 950 on medium settings at native res on my MacBook if I absolutely have to use it; I've got a PC for gaming, my MacBook is for school.

Iunno what that 8FPS number is...

I still get 25-35 FPS with a GMA 950 on medium settings at native res on my MacBook if I absolutely have to use it; I've got a PC for gaming, my MacBook is for school.

Iunno what that 8FPS number is...

Full OSX re-install and full WoW re-install. Same god-awful performance I've had for the past year.

its not a driver issue - its called "Intel GMA 950"

Reading the post you're quoting tends to help :p

Back