Wow my wireless setup sucks

Killdozer

[H]ard|Gawd
New apartment and I'm using wireless because it's too much of a hassle to run a cat5 to my room.
Provider = Time Warner
Cable Modem = Whatever Motorola thingy they have now adays
Router = Linksys WRT54G
Wireless Card = Netgear WG311
It's all setup and it works for basic internet (actually it still sucks at that too) but it really starts to mess up when you do two things at once, like login to Gmail and try to play WoW, or browse and have bit-torrents running. Basically I just lose the connection for a while until I start closing stuff or I just walk away in frustration and then it eventually comes back. Even when playing games it manages to have lag spikes. Right now I have a "Very Good" connection with a top speed of 54Mbps.

I've done a few of these before and my router is setup pretty decently right now (as far as config/settings/security) but for some reason it just sucks at servicing me the internet. My buddy who has a Cat5 running into his room doesn't have a problem, so it's safe to assume that the provider isn't sucking too bad right now.

So my question is, how do I make my wireless not suck?

Is that some user made FW?
Seems like the only chance I've got considering Linksys basically kicked this model to the curb.

So is this going to be something that I'll be able to understand and properly configure?
I'm not one of those types that sits around and browses the web in the command line on my Linux box and remotes into my blog server on my iPhone but I'm not exactly a knuckle dragger...

Back