WOW! Mass Effect...

Nosenuggets45

Limp Gawd
After a debate of Stalker: Clear Sky or Mass Effect, I'm GLAD i picked mass effect. This game is amazing. Granted, it took me only one week to finally get it installed, this game kicks a**! The story is so compelling, I can't stop playing this game. I totally love the the whole sci-fi atmosphere. In short, anyone who hasn't played this and is even remotely interest, PLAY IT! Though I had to go through hell to get this game running, its worth it.

It is definitely one of my most anticipated games. You should NOT check out the trailer for ME2 untill you have beaten ME.

I did watch the ME2 trailer, but I skimmed through it and I actually don't even remember it :) so that's probably a good thing. I hope I don't have any more technical problems though because I want to beat this game and I've already had some problems that totally stopped me from even playing.

I would recommend disabling the film grain. The game looks MUCH better (imho) with it off. It has been a few months since I booted it up, but if I remember correctly, this game ran great on the 179.XX drivers. You may try some of those and see if that helps your performance.

I did already disable the grain filter, garbage. Thanks anyways though. Performance isn't my problem, it runs great. The problem is I was getting a "General Protection Fault" error in the exact same place and I couldn't get past it. I uninstalled Open AL and *knocks on wood* things seem to be running solid now.

I felt the same way first time I played it. I was thinking "and I was thinking twice about buying this game, holy cow!" The story was awesome. The ability to make your own choices was awesome. For the most part it even looked amazing (at max settings) having been ported from console. I had a couple minor complaints, but over all the conversion was well done. I am definately looking forward to the next one.

Indeed. One of the few games the kept me glued to the computer for multi-hour sessions, just HAD to see how the story turned out. I may have to give it another playthrough and do all the sidequests I didn't do before.

great game, even though the side worlds are total shit and the mako is an abomination. much better off just playing the story as either good or bad doing only the main questline, then start again on harder difficulty with the same character.

oh and if you get a mastery achievement with a class one of their abilities becomes usable on other classes, Vanguard with singularity is just op, I beat the game on insane quite easily.

After a debate of Stalker: Clear Sky or Mass Effect, I'm GLAD i picked mass effect. This game is amazing. Granted, it took me only one week to finally get it installed, this game kicks a**! The story is so compelling, I can't stop playing this game. I totally love the the whole sci-fi atmosphere. In short, anyone who hasn't played this and is even remotely interest, PLAY IT! Though I had to go through hell to get this game running, its worth it.

Clear Sky is obviously superior, why didn't you listen to me?! :p

Installe MassEffect about 5 days ago ... lunched it…. Kept waiting for these LONG conversations about half an hour till I found something to shoot at … a minute after that and I found myself making another conversations with no way to skip them …. closed the game …. lunched CS:S and started spraying at everyone
but I agree it’s a nice game :)

if you lunch Mass Effect and CS:S what do you do to your sandwiches?

Sorry couldn't resist!

Installe MassEffect about 5 days ago ... lunched it…. Kept waiting for these LONG conversations about half an hour till I found something to shoot at … a minute after that and I found myself making another conversations with no way to skip them …. closed the game …. lunched CS:S and started spraying at everyone
but I agree it’s a nice game :)
Umm... what exactly were you expecting? Bioware's been making more or less the same game in different settings for over a decade now. Going into a Bioware game not expecting long branching dialogue trees is like going into an id game and complaining about how you're tired of shooting all these demons.

Umm... what exactly were you expecting? Bioware's been making more or less the same game in different settings for over a decade now. Going into a Bioware game not expecting long branching dialogue trees is like going into an id game and complaining about how you're tired of shooting all these demons.

But the dialogue in ME was impossibly dull, especially compared to Knights of the Old Republic. In fact KotOR and KotOR 2 were far superior to ME in every conceivable way. ME felt like KotOR lite

I wasn't all impressed by Mass Effect because Bioware wanted to make the setting vast and somehow failed because many of the levels outside of the main quest were redundant and linear, which defeats the purpose of open-ended gameplay. Plotwise, maybe the Witcher spoiled me because that was the game I played before ME, but I can say that the Witcher provided better characters and story. The ending in ME was kind of campy because the audience already knew that the game was going to be a trilogy. I agree that KoTOR is better but Bioware had a working environment to build upon making it slightly easier to develop.

Though I will admit, creating new canons is fairly hard to do and only a few RPG series seem to do it well. ME does have a great base to build upon. Hopefully the sequels will address the redundant open world issues.

I liked Mass Effect infinitely more than STALKER.

But the dialogue in ME was impossibly dull, especially compared to Knights of the Old Republic. In fact KotOR and KotOR 2 were far superior to ME in every conceivable way. ME felt like KotOR lite

I would agree with that, however KOTOR is probably one of my favorite games ever, so it was still a great experience.

I loved the game, and am playing through it again right now. I'm not sure why someone would set out to play an RPG, and then try to skip all of the dialog. That's confusing to me. I'm also happy for the people that like KotOR better, but that doesn't really detract from ME being a good game. I remember similar things being said back in the DOS days with some games. I LOVED Al Qadim. It was basically Darksun Lite, in a different setting. That didn't make it worse than Dark Sun, it just made it simpler, and more leisurely to play. I love a complex and intricate game as much as the next person (Star Control II perhaps?) but that doesn't make simpler ones any worse. If you prefer some level of complexity (or none in the case of the CSS guy above,) then cool, choose the game that suits you. I don't see any reason that that has to detract from another game though.

I prefer the depth of System Shock 2 to Bioshock, but I still thoroughly enjoyed Bioshock. There is always going to be room for improvement, but if a game does what it does well, then it's good to me. I also enjoyed the Mako parts, but that portion of the game definitely could have used some improvement. I even liked the floaty (if somewhat goofy) handling. (reminds me of Moon Patrol :D ) They could have made the items you spend all that time trying to find a bit more gratifying, or made the worlds a bit bigger, or added some atmosphere-heavy ancient ruins with more history and lore to derive. Spoiler: There was a planet that had this interesting surface, and a shiny pyramid-like structure. I really wished that there was more data to collect on it, why it was there, where it came from, etc. etc. (something like the books in an Ultima game could have provided) Hopefully there is more depth to the sequel in these areas.

Still a truly excellent game though.

Good game.
For some reason I can't get past the part where you open the water ducts (near the beginning I guess) and haven't played it since then :(

if you lunch Mass Effect and CS:S what do you do to your sandwiches?

Sorry couldn't resist!

oops :eek:
well before I paste it here Outlook didn’t underline it so I thought its ok :D (English is not my native language)

when I first “LAUNCHED” it the dialogs were relatively long but they don’t really bother me and not an objective reason not to like it, let me just complete FEAR2 and Red Alert 3 and I’ll “LUNCH” it and finish it :D

I felt the same way first time I played it. I was thinking "and I was thinking twice about buying this game, holy cow!" The story was awesome. The ability to make your own choices was awesome. For the most part it even looked amazing (at max settings) having been ported from console. I had a couple minor complaints, but over all the conversion was well done. I am definately looking forward to the next one.

better then fallout 3?

I thought ME could have done some things better, but I felt Fallout 3 had more flaws. I had much more fun with ME to be honest.

too bad it only took me 15 hours to beat it.
but yeah, otherwise an awesome game.

Took me 10, but I skipped the side quests as they were pointless and repetitive

yeah...i did a few side quests then realized how friggin boring they were. plus i went to a few places where i was waaay to low of a level and had to slowly kill the bad guys. :)

10 hours is ridiculous... :p:D

I like the Film Grain setting : \

I think the appearance of the grain effect depends a lot on your display.

My wife beat ME and I started playing ME in the summer on my CRT (Sony F520) and it was great - subtle, authentic, not distracting, and helped to blend the characters into the scenery perfectly. The appearance of the game was breathtaking if you didn't look really close.

Now that I have a 2490 I launched ME and it looked significantly worse. The film grain effect stands out more and the characters look chroma-keyed onto the back drops. I've looked into the tweaks to force AA and some other things which have improved matters.

L4D's film grain, on the other hand, looks fine on the 2490. I never had L4D with the CRT hooked up.

There are many out there who will argue this, but I think ME was a better game than FO3. Sure there was more to do in FO3 but I really liked everything about ME more.

ME is definitely a hell of a lot less buggy than FO3, that's for sure.

i just remembered i have some screenies of mass effect at 2304x1440 w/2x MSAA (cropped to 1920x1200 by fraps :()

MassEffect-2009-02-10-1.jpg

MassEffect-2009-02-10-18-.jpg

MassEffect-2009-02-10-18-19.jpg

Back