Wow. Just....wow. (56k warning, big pics)

its mainly the smell and the color of the plastic from all the tar residue

Cowcaster88 said:
You could do what I seem to do bi-yearly, or whenever I open my case to install something new. I vacuume my computer. Hook up the hose and let it suck up that dust and hair. I stick it close to drive and close to the motherboard, and let it do its work.

Then I close the case and walk off with a grin; it's like I've just cleaned house.. :D
I don't konw if anyone has mentioned this but make sure your vacuum is grounded staticly or you will be replacing parts. Vacuum cleaners, or at least the ones made for carpet, build up a static charge you may not see it like when you rub your feet across the floor but its there.

gross.

Put some panty hose on your front panel's air ports.

And take those pics down!

puke2yu.gif

Oh, I didn't notice that this had been put on the front page of [H] . Coooool. :cool:

Anyway, chylld - my case is very similar to yours. It's an Antec SLK3700AMB. I might just do what you did, because I am positive that is the opening all of this hair and dust got in through.

I've got the case elevated way off the floor now, there's a shelf right next to my desk and I have it standing on that. Obviously, I can't report yet on whether or not it's helped, but i should help a ton with the dog hair.

It's amazing what a difference a little cleaning can do. I noticed my temps were getting into the mid 50s to low 60s under load, so I decided to do a bit of spring cleaning/cable management. Used q-tips to loosen the dust and a vacuum hose to suck it all out. Underneath the heatsink fan there was quite a bit oif buildup. After I was all done, my temps are upper 30s to mid 40s under load. I'm talking a 15c difference just from cleaning out the dust and managing the cables a bit better! To top it all off its even a little bit quieter because there is less air turbulence inside the case.

Wow man, I have two labs and despite all their massive amounts of shedding my G5 still manages to stay clean, and it's on the floor.

Yeah - I have seen satanic dust bunnies from HELL on the outside of my case grills like that also... the kind you peel off and then they come to life and latch onto your face... like that thing in aliens... Gnarl!! heh... ;)

Seriously, I had one which came off my old machine when I had not cleaned it for like 6 months or so... I was starting to have overheating issues, so I took the front off and was shocked to see the whole front grill area was just covered... looked like the stuff which comes out of a vacuum bag, but layered up... ACK!!

I now clean both my machines once a month... having two cats and lots of wind where I live, plus other (*cough*) airborn debris... it all adds up. :) If you blow your machine out /well/ once a month you can likely avoid taking it all apart to clean it except for like once a year...

Well, I must say, that is pretty horrible. I've seen some bad stuff, like piles of dust in peoples' CPU heatsinks and hair carpeting their case, but that just takes the cake. :eek:
Luckily, I don't have these problems, mainly cause I constantly clean my case. But yeah, the best thing to do is elevate the machine.

Easy fix! just get rid of your dogs or keep them outside like any clean human would naturally do. Yuck would hate to see pics of the rest of your house.

chylld said:
is that an antec bqe? i have the same case and this is how i solved the dust problem:

filterouter.jpg

Can you get a fan IN the BQE ? I can't , but then again I use 120mm fans. If you put a 120 on the OUTSIDE of the chasis it butts up to the "filter"on the cover. You still have to clean the "filter". And yes tape up all gaps to stop the usb dust. I would also take it apart and clean it ever so often! jeez!!

Disclaimer: The word "filter" is used as loose as an 80's rocker perm. :eek:

Back