Wow I got up to 70C - Bad Overheating

ColdFusionKid

Limp Gawd
I was having overheating issues at a lanparty today, and i had to take the left panel off and put a high speed office fan next to it to cool it off. It was my first day with new hardware (p4 1.4 to a 2.6, new mobo, 1gb ram)

The case I have now will not let me get enough airflow in my case to keep the case cool. So I am going to be buying 1. A full tower case. 2. (6or7) new fans. 3. new heatsync.

-On my case I have decided on the Aluminum Chieftec Dragon from newegg for $60.

-For fans, i am undecided(which is part of the reason which brings me here) I know I want ...
(2)80mm led fans for the back.
(1)120mm blowhole on the top.
(1) 80mm led on the side pannel...

I am undecided with the two front intake fans... reg led fans, or Vantec Tornadoes?-- I want my case cool--so i dont have to upgrade in the future...
Would the tornadoes unbalence the airflow too much? would they be fine?--I heard a little more intake is better....Of course they could of been wrong.

Also, I want to upgrade my heat sync - What would be a good, cheap replacement for the stock headsync that came w/ my p4 2.6ghz

---Thnx for help if you give any...

Also, just out of curiosity(sp) does anyone know where i can get big fans online? I saw a 150mm fan on frozencpu, its the biggest i have seen yet for a cpu. I would get it, but its $30! Even if it pulls 260 CFM!

Good choice in cases - everyone and his brother has one - including me :p . Totally played out, but well made, with plenty of space, and *affordable*. However, a Tornado will NOT fit in the included 80mm fan clips - they will only take a 25mm deep fan, and the Tornados are 38mm (? i think)..Unless you ditch the clips for a custom mount job. TOTALLY unneeded too IMO.

/edit missed your post with "undecided on front fan mounts"... I have LED fans all around - gives me a 'free' night light, when I get up for a midnight snack or something ;) - so I don't trip over stuff on the way tot he kitchen. Of course if you get one w/out the window, that cuts down on alot of the light that gets out.
/edit off

On the heat*sink* front - DONT go cheap - go for one from Thermalright [sp97? - dunno the newest Intel line(s), or the SLK 800U/900U or 947U [amd/intel universal mounts] - with your choice of 80/92mm fans of course]..Or something from Zalman or Vantec - I hear they're pretty good.. I suppose a cheapish ThermalTAKE would do you, as long as you're not go balls out on the oc.
/edit again There's 'sinks from Swiftech that rank right up there w/ the Thermalrights, but tend to run a bit higher in price. /edit off

p.s. **DO NOT** think about one of those huge Comair/Rotrons [i think thats it]..Unless you like to spend your next lanparty out in the cold cuz everyone hates the noise coming from your case :D .

I understand, I was wondering about the big fans becasue i wanted a huge blowhole on the top, but i forgot there arent finger gaurds for them :/

Originally posted by ColdFusionKid
I understand, I was wondering about the big fans becasue i wanted a huge blowhole on the top, but i forgot there arent finger gaurds for them :/

Just, um, mount a ceiling fan in your case. Volt mod that baby from 110v to 220v and you'll be set. ;)

Seriously. Get some deltas and volt mod them. You will have quiet plus cool. ;) Plus, it'll have some 'awe value' at LAN's when people ask you what you have cooling your case and you reply 'Deltas'. They won't understand how it's so quiet... :p

Maybe use some thermal compound?

It's not necesssarily your case temperature.. check your mobo temps and see if they're kinda high (30+ is high, I think). My mobo runs around 20-23, just over ambient, and that's just with 1 80mm exhaust fan and 1 80mm intake (intake front, exhaust back).

Just tonight I decided I'd do some optimization. I removed my heatsink, used Goof Off to get the wax shit off of it, cleaned it with 99% pure isopropyl alcohol and applied Arctic Silver 3.

Before I was overheating, running 53 idle and 70-/+ load.

Now... heh.. well.... heh... 35c idle, haven't tried load (still breaking it in)

But... damn, what a difference!!

Edit: Forgot to mention.. I'm runnin an AMD 1900+ with the stock cooler.

could be the HSF was not seated properly before, a pad does not usually suck THAT much!

so far i have gotten 80*F idle (cpu) and 115 max in load.

this is with 2 empty drive bays removed and replaced by 2 80mmfans...

I cut out the back fan gaurd and there is MUCH more airflow(i couldnt feel the air before) And i have moved the wires out of my airflow path(wires behind mobo tray...etc

i wish i had a digi cam, it looks so ghetto with 2 fans hot glued to the outside of this temp. case...

A aluminum cheiftec dragon is on its way to my house along with

(1) 120mm fan for the blow hole
(2) 80mm orange led fans
(2) 80mm blue led fans
(1) 80mm Vantec Tornado

-I am looking for a fan controler... dont know which yet.. needs to be able to control the tornado tho.

nah, i want something in the 5" bays... I don't really want to mod that much
on this case.... So anything i can stick in and wire/loom would be fine... and look good.

Back