Wow, Heat Issue with Ivy just stinks, what to do now?

MeanBruce

Gawd
I was dead set on a 3770K/Z77.

Upgrading from a C2D E8500, should I go 2700K/Z77 instead? I use my rig mostly for office apps while working, and an occasional game, no real need to overclock past 4.0. At stock speeds are the thermals less or about the same as SB? What to do?

...I have my pc running at around 12db all fans at low 326rpm to 558rpm w/pwm controller, keeping it quiet while I work. Nothing too cpu intensive, but so appreciate the amazing efficiency of enthusiast grade hardware.

...I need advice, I know the fans are ugly, but they work so well.

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

sorry for the untidy cables, I just got them and the H100 two weeks ago, they arrive very stiff and trying to relax them until I can replace the motherboard and recable thru different grommets.

Last edited:
Hey I have a brand new AX850 sitting in an empty case and it wont get used until I find a good deal on a Sandy, or Intel fixes its Ivy. How do you like the PS?

There's no heat issue until you start overvaulting to about 1.3v 4.7+GHz. IB is better than SB, there's really no doubt about that, every review says so. It's just not good enough for SB users to upgrade to it. Particularly if you have an SB at ~5GHz.

Isn't the IB cooler than SB at stock speeds? Even if you do OC, I don't believe you actually start to encounter heat issues until you attempt a 4.3+ OC. That or you have a really bad chip.

2500k or 3570k with Z77 or Z68 Gen 3 should meet your needs fine.

Last edited:
Ivy and SB are both 95w tdp. Either will be a nice upgrade from a E8400. If you want to save money than sure 2500k-2700k processor. If you want the latest and greatest 1155 than Ivy.

Ivy and SB are both 95w tdp. Either will be a nice upgrade from a E8400. If you want to save money than sure 2500k-2700k processor. If you want the latest and greatest 1155 than Ivy.

Am I missing something? All the reviews I've seen are showing CPU-Z reporting 77W TDP still and the power savings is quite nice.

All the reviews I've seen are showing CPU-Z reporting 77W TDP

Isn't that just programmed into CPU-Z meaning CPU-Z does not and has no way to measure how much heat the processor gives off.

Isn't that just programmed into CPU-Z meaning CPU-Z does not and has no way to measure how much heat the processor gives off.

I suppose so, but the reviews I've read ( 3 thus far) have all manually typed it out (Guru3D) and are using other graphs comparing the different versions. Hell if I know. Maybe there is a picture of the box verifying what it is lol.

I read the power out put of 95W on the label was so that Intel could ensure that mother board makers don't skimp out on power in the build and design of Motherboards.

I don't know the truth.

I'd like to see a professional review use electrical instrumentation devices to measure actual TDP of 3570k under load.

Plenty of reviews tested power consumption, and they all came in less than SB.

Hey I have a brand new AX850 sitting in an empty case and it wont get used until I find a good deal on a Sandy, or Intel fixes its Ivy. How do you like the PS?

The AX850, I love it, rock solid still have 6years left on the warranty, had the HX850 before this one, you made a good choice...:)

Corsair makes custom cables now for the AX line in 4 colors, not extensions, they plug into the psu. With a single gpu the fan never spins at all, it's weird and the heatsinks inside the unit are attached to the psu chassis so heat is transferred into the metal case and then into the computer chassis, the rear around the psu gets warm during extended use as does the portion of the side panel rear to the window, yet the fan still doesn't spin...very smart hybrid Seasonic design. Hopefully the Corsair platinums will be announced this year.

Last edited:

Power consumption is less, but heat at idle and load at stock speed seems to be more, and that was my greatest concern.

temperatures.jpg

This chart and others I am now finding deep within the reviews seem to point to the 2700K as a better choice, I dunno can't make a decision.

Last edited:
Isn't the IB cooler than SB at stock speeds? Even if you do OC, I don't believe you actually start to encounter heat issues until you attempt a 4.3+ OC. That or you have a really bad chip.

This chart above says SB is cooler than IB at stock, I will have to find more reviews.

What heat issue?
Ivy Bridge is what Intel meant it to be, it's faster, it's cooler (usually) and it uses less power compared to Sandy Bridge. Seems like a win to me.

Intel is being hyperconservative with Ivy for a reason - it is generally a drop-in option for the same motherboards as Sandy (which is a 95W TDP part), therefore, for reasons of (again) that hyperconservatism that Intel has been known to show, they didn't change the thermal specs any from Sandy to Ivy.

i7-3770K has pretty darn reliably hit 4.8 GHz on air ([H], LegitReviews, and others), and it doesn't require pricey motherboards to do so (LR is, in fact, the biggest example); therefore, unless you're looking to go beyond that, Ivy Bridge is pretty much a safe choice when upgrading from anything *other* than Sandy Bridge or LGA1366.

The reason I'm looking at water-cooling either i5 (2500K or 3570K - I have no use whatever for HTT) is not due to tall overclocks (4.5 GHz isn't even a planned target) but due to other issues (primarily noise; however, clearance within the case is an issue also). Also, the Corsai H60 is a mere $23 more than the Hyper212 EVO, and just $10 more than Corsair's own A50.

The thing is, I have to wait until next week to see what MicroCenter's i5-3570K pricing will be compared to i5-2500K. (Nuts.)

What heat issue?
Ivy Bridge is what Intel meant it to be, it's faster, it's cooler and it uses less power compared to Sandy Bridge. Seems like a win to me.

They say it gets really hot 85C to 92C when OC'd past 4.6. Trying to find out if anyone has more information on temps at stock speeds and OC'd between 3.5 and 4.0.

Look no further
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5763/undervolting-and-overclocking-on-ivy-bridge
Ultimately, Ivy Bridge hates voltage. Moving the CPU speed up is not so bad in the case of temperatures and system power draw. What you need is the lowest voltage for the overclock you want. So when you overclock, be methodical.

And yes, it does get hot when overvolted but so what? At that point you are running the cpu out of spec, you only get what's on the box. Overclocking ability is not guaranteed in anyway.

Last edited:
This chart shows the opposite of the first, the reviews seem to contradict one another in this regard, but they keep mentioning some video advantage to IB and I don't think they are referring to the IGP.

IvyBridge_3770K_100.jpg

Maybe pelo will stop by and explain this whole thing to me. Which processor SB or IB, 2700K or 3770K will produce less heat at idle and between stock (3.5Ghz) and 4.0Ghz, slightly overclocked.

Ivy draws less power, that's a plus, but heat dissipation and noise with just an H100 are what I am worried about, usually running my fans between 300 to 550rpm while working and they bump up to 1500rpm with a click button on the pwm fan controller, thanks everyone for the advice so far...

Last edited:
vy draws less power, that's a plus, but heat dissipation and noise with just an H100 are what I am worried about

If it draws less power then it produces less heat as most of the energy given off from a processor is heat (It does not make much sound or move very far...). Having a higher temperature does not mean it produces more heat. Just more heat per square mm assuming the cooling is the exact same and has the exact same fan policy at the same ambient temperature...

If it draws less power then it produces less heat as most of the energy given off from a processor is heat (It does not make much sound or move very far...). Having a higher temperature does not mean it produces more heat.

I thought if the 4cores ran warmer on average they would transmit more heat to the heat sink? I guess I am wrong. So what specs do I look at in the reviews? I am either dumb or dumbfounded, or both.

I thought if the 4cores ran warmer on average they would transmit more heat to the heat sink?

No they do not. Remember that over 99% of the power of each processor uses (SB or IV or whatever) gets transmitted to the heatsink. I believe this is Second law of thermodynamics although its been a long time (I'm 40 now). So that if IV uses less power IB transmits less heat to the heat sink.

Last edited:
Well keep in mind the IB cores are packed much tighter than SB cores, 22nm vs 32nm, without even taking into account the 3D Tri-gate/whateveritis structure.
So it's harder to get the heat off of the cores.

Well keep in mind the IB cores are packed much tighter than SB cores, 22nm vs 32nm, without even taking into account the 3D Tri-gate/whateveritis structure.
So it's harder to get the heat off of the cores.

That is the reason it runs hotter at less power (and thus heat output).

At 4GHZ, and that H100, I don't think it's really going to matter which cpu you buy. Comes down to, do you need hyper threading? If not, save some heat and money = get a 2500k or 3570k. And if heat and noise is that much of an issue, the 2500k.

If you have speed step enabled, most office work is going to have the cores running below 2ghz, so heat related noise is going to be less than your current c2d. And if you're gaming, you're going to have sound from your headphones or speakers, so you're not going to notice the fans spinning up a little. Honestly, you'll probably push the fans on your GPU more than the fans for the H100.

Honestly, you'll probably push the fans on your GPU more than the fans for the H100.

Agreed. The GPU probably will use double the power of the CPU and have a much louder fan.

At 4GHZ, and that H100, I don't think it's really going to matter which cpu you buy. Comes down to, do you need hyper threading? If not, save some heat and money = get a 2500k or 3570k. And if heat and noise is that much of an issue, the 2500k.

If you have speed step enabled, most office work is going to have the cores running below 2ghz, so heat related noise is going to be less than your current c2d. And if you're gaming, you're going to have sound from your headphones or speakers, so you're not going to notice the fans spinning up a little. Honestly, you'll probably push the fans on your GPU more than the fans for the H100.

Speed step sounds perfect, thanks so much for the information, that's why I created the thread, so hopefully I will have much less heat to deal with than the current C2D. :)

Speed step sounds perfect, thanks so much for the information, that's why I created the thread, so hopefully I will have much less heat to deal with than the current C2D. :)

If you want that then get an i3 when these are available. Go for a fanless GPU.

What kind of overclocking were you thinking of doing? If you want 5 GHz+ overclocks, than Sandy is probably your best bet, but it appears that Ivy can do something in the range of 4.6 at default volts, or at least at volts that don't cause huge spikes in temperature - and that is equivalent to a Sandy running at 4.8 or so. If you are buying new, I think the answer is get Ivy (unless you can get a really good deal on a Sandy). It might not overclock quite as high in pure numbers, but do you really need 5.0 instead of 4.8 (or 4.6)?

What kind of overclocking were you thinking of doing? If you want 5 GHz+ overclocks, than Sandy is probably your best bet, but it appears that Ivy can do something in the range of 4.6 at default volts, or at least at volts that don't cause huge spikes in temperature - and that is equivalent to a Sandy running at 4.8 or so. If you are buying new, I think the answer is get Ivy (unless you can get a really good deal on a Sandy). It might not overclock quite as high in pure numbers, but do you really need 5.0 instead of 4.8 (or 4.6)?

Just between stock 3.5Ghz and 4.0Ghz

...this chart seems overwhelmingly in favor of the 3770K. Thought I might find my current processor on the chart but nope, other C2Ds are listed so could use that as reference.

winidle.jpg

Last edited:
Have you considered buying an S or T model with lower TDP? If you don't need the higher clock speeds the T models have TDP or 35W I believe.

Just between stock 3.5Ghz and 4.0Ghz

...this chart seems overwhelmingly in favor of the 3770K. Thought I might find my current processor on the chart but nope, other C2Ds are listed so could use that as reference.

If that is all you are going for I would get an Ivy, unless you can find a good deal on a Sandy chip (like one of those $200 2600K sales Microcenter had). Ivy uses less power, is a little faster at the same speed, and at those clock speeds will still be easy to cool.

Have you considered buying an S or T model with lower TDP? If you don't need the higher clock speeds the T models have TDP or 35W I believe.

I recommend just undervolting / underclocking over purchasing a factory underclocked / undervolted processors. However some users will prefer the guaranteed underclock / undervolt and will pay more for that. And even others will (makes me sick to my stomach) buy an undervolted / underclocked processor then overclock it...

I guess this is another question, right now running the H100 as a positive pressure "pull" downward firing intake, along with a CM200mm front intake and 120mm rear exhaust. Would I get a few degrees better thermals if I "pushed" to the radiator?

IMG_0669.jpg

filtering the top intake.

You could not be more correct. I just want a little more power just in case my workload or type of cpu demands change in the future.

I recommend just undervolting / underclocking over purchasing a factory underclocked / undervolted processors. However some users will prefer the guaranteed underclock / undervolt and will pay more for that. And even others will (makes me sick to my stomach) buy an undervolted / underclocked processor then overclock it...

I'm unsure of how Turbo mode with these chips works when underclocked/overclocked. Does Turbo still push it to the normal turbo speeds, is it disabled, or does it increase it by a specific increment above the underclocked speed?
I haven't bought a new processor to play around with in some years so haven't had a reason to look into this. I maybe be in the market soon though so I'm honestly curious. I suppose I could google around.

Back