WoW Graphics Problem

Rabid Yellow Dog

Limp Gawd
The stuff in the distance is always messed up looking. Its either all black or all white not faded out like i assume its supposed to.

edit: hotlink

im running a BFG 6800 OC with 81.94 drivers. I just reinstalled the game and i get the same problem

any ideas?

Still getting it, and the site wants me to edit my security settings.

Now i can see the thumb but if i click same thing. :(

This blows, I want to try to help

FTW!!

Only in WoW? Have you tried other games? It just looks like its not rendering something.

Did you check your NV controls for an odd setting? Perhaps set it back to default?

DermicSavage said:
is everything turned to max in the video settings?
yes, everything is maxed, but i have same problem when all the settings are at their lowest, too

i didnt see any weirdness in the nvidia settings either

Rabid Yellow Dog said:
Terrain Distance set to Max:

Terrain Distance set to Min:

Bad times either way.

My ATI x800xl looks the same way as yours set at max. How ever I don't ever get the white.

I ran that card till very recently, I just switched to a 6800GT and am currently using the 81.94 drivers with zero issues. On my BFG 6800 OC I ran the 81.84 beta's and they ran perfect too. What motherboard Chipset are you running? Also when you used the 81.94's did you uninstall the old drivers from control panel ? (nvidia video drivers only ) then reboot into safe mode?
Windows will refind the card and then I cancel it installing it and run driver cleaner pro in safe mode and do 2 cleanings of the nvidia video drivers, in Driver Cleaner they just say nvidia, not chipset. Then install the new drivers still while in safe mode, then reboot and voila ! new drivers installed. I also run River Tuner R.C. 15.7 for my video card tweaks and overclocking by the way.

Hi, I suggest uninstalling the game and reinstalling it. BEFORE YOU DO copy all the patch files to your my documents or desktop because you will spend days redownloading them. They're easy to spot as they say WOW-1.60to1.70 or words to that effect. After you get to the uninstall, delete the WoW directory also.

Then reinstall, put the patch files back into the directory.

Kangg said:
I ran that card till very recently, I just switched to a 6800GT and am currently using the 81.94 drivers with zero issues. On my BFG 6800 OC I ran the 81.84 beta's and they ran perfect too. What motherboard Chipset are you running? Also when you used the 81.94's did you uninstall the old drivers from control panel ? (nvidia video drivers only ) then reboot into safe mode?
Windows will refind the card and then I cancel it installing it and run driver cleaner pro in safe mode and do 2 cleanings of the nvidia video drivers, in Driver Cleaner they just say nvidia, not chipset. Then install the new drivers still while in safe mode, then reboot and voila ! new drivers installed. I also run River Tuner R.C. 15.7 for my video card tweaks and overclocking by the way.
i have the latest chipset (i865) drivers from abit

i didnt use a driver cleaner before 81.94, but i never do and ive never had any problems before this

Heinrich711 said:
Hi, I suggest uninstalling the game and reinstalling it. BEFORE YOU DO copy all the patch files to your my documents or desktop because you will spend days redownloading them. They're easy to spot as they say WOW-1.60to1.70 or words to that effect. After you get to the uninstall, delete the WoW directory also.

already tried that :(

Download driver cleaner, boot to safe mode, run driver cleaner, remove the nvidia drivers, then reboot and reinstall.
Also think about trying the drivers from http://www.tweaksrus.com/index.php they are really good. I'm running the 81.89s with no problems at all.

It kinda looks like what happens when I set the color depth to 16 bit in game so I can run instances on my laptop (64mb Video momory. Look to see that it is set to 24 bit and not 16 bit mode in the Video options

Heinrich711 said:

If you follow this advice and there is a problem with the downloaded patch files you will not detect it. I'd suggest doing a completely clean install, let it download the patches again.

Also, you it is possible to do a 'cheating' install by simply copying the entire wow directory from one computer to another. If you or a friend has another installed copy of wow just network the systems and copy the files. Alternatively you could use a DVD-r to burn a copy of the install directory. Of course, this would eliminate the concerns over bad cd's, bad patches and the like.

have you tried posting this problem on the wow tech support forums?

Just a FYI Rabid, I do also play WoW and since the 4000 or 5000 series GeForce cards the method I mentioned is a must to remove previous driver versions. It's not like the old days where you could just load new drivers on top.

If ya dont run driver cleaner you'll get issues ranging from image quality to performance issues. And running driver cleaner and installing new drivers in safe mode makes sure you remove all previous driver components.

debello_64 said:
It kinda looks like what happens when I set the color depth to 16 bit in game so I can run instances on my laptop (64mb Video momory. Look to see that it is set to 24 bit and not 16 bit mode in the Video options
yep set to 24 bit 4x multisample

dekard said:
If you follow this advice and there is a problem with the downloaded patch files you will not detect it. I'd suggest doing a completely clean install, let it download the patches again.

Also, you it is possible to do a 'cheating' install by simply copying the entire wow directory from one computer to another. If you or a friend has another installed copy of wow just network the systems and copy the files. Alternatively you could use a DVD-r to burn a copy of the install directory. Of course, this would eliminate the concerns over bad cd's, bad patches and the like.

have you tried posting this problem on the wow tech support forums?
when i reinstalled, i installed off a different set of cds and redownloaded all patches

and i do have a thread going in the WoW tech support but so far it hasnt been helpful

Kangg said:
Just a FYI Rabid, I do also play WoW and since the 4000 or 5000 series GeForce cards the method I mentioned is a must to remove previous driver versions. It's not like the old days where you could just load new drivers on top.

If ya dont run driver cleaner you'll get issues ranging from image quality to performance issues. And running driver cleaner and installing new drivers in safe mode makes sure you remove all previous driver components.
thanks for the heads up, i will do this from now on

edit: and the problem isnt fixed

with the the one showing a green overlay and the other showing the shadows missing totally it is like the parts of your gpu that render nvidia's untrashadow are toast. The green should be shades of grey not just green where it has no idea what value it is reciving, and the white when min distance is closest it is masking the area from shadows with a value so low it it is using transparency for the whole area. If you have a copy of doom3 check to see if that has a problem it also relies on the ultrashadow tech as much, the other thing to try is remove the wow profile and set control panel back to defaults to make sure wow is not reciveing two or more sets of info.
good luck :)

Have you tried a different video card yet? You've gone to a ton of trouble on this one.

drakken said:
with the the one showing a green overlay and the other showing the shadows missing totally it is like the parts of your gpu that render nvidia's untrashadow are toast. The green should be shades of grey not just green where it has no idea what value it is reciving, and the white when min distance is closest it is masking the area from shadows with a value so low it it is using transparency for the whole area. If you have a copy of doom3 check to see if that has a problem it also relies on the ultrashadow tech as much, the other thing to try is remove the wow profile and set control panel back to defaults to make sure wow is not reciveing two or more sets of info.
good luck :)
fucking shit

dekard said:
Have you tried a different video card yet? You've gone to a ton of trouble on this one.
i dont have another video card

i just thought of something

i recently flashed the bios on my video card to a newer verison. if there was an error during flashing, could one function of the gpu be rendered inoperable? this does seem like a problem with my video card and not the drivers or the game. would you guys recommend i flash back to the original bios?

Definately.. and I'd borrow another Nvidia card. Testing without having a known good spare is really time consuming.

I have to agree that you could have a gpu or ram issue. I would suggest trying a different card. Borrow one if you can. :)

Back