WoW flickering issue on 6970

Promii

Weaksauce
My new 6970/2600K setup is working great except for a couple of issues in WoW. First, more minor problem, is that on login and sometimes on tabbing back in to the game, it will freeze for a few seconds and then do what seems like a GPU reset, sometimes twice in a row. Second problem is that certain transparency textures can sometimes flicker in random places on the screen. The worst place I have noticed for this so far is the fire walls in the room between Halfus and Valonia/Theralion in Bastion of Twilight. I will see little flickers of the fire in random places, especially while moving the camera.

GPU temps seem fine (though it's not watercooled yet, despite my sig) and everything looks fine in 3Dmark11. Currently using the 10.12 drivers. It must be either the drivers, WoW’s “experimental” DX11 mode or the card itself.

I will do some testing when I have the time this week but I thought I would check if anyone here has experienced anything similar.

Are you running the game windowed or fullscreen? Its normal for that to happen when running fullscreen and alt-tabbing.

For your texture flicker, thats the game. Theres plenty of places where I've seen textures flicker. I get texture flicker when flying and looking down at the bridge by lakeshire.

I've also seen it on both ATI and nVidia cards.

Fullscreen, yes. I never had either of these issues with my 4870X2.
Also the flicker I’m describing isn’t actually on the textured object. There will be say, fire in the bottom left of the screen and I’ll see the occasional flicker of a distorted fire texture up in the top right, for example.

I doubt its your video card, if you say everything is fine in 3dmark.

Does it do the same with DX9 and DX11? Ever since I've upgraded to 5870 I've more issues with WoW.

I will try DX9 tonight and see if the offending areas behave the same.

There's plenty of flickering issues with the 6900 cards. I get similar things in RF:G, Super Meat Boy, etc.

WoW performance is flawless on my 6970. Couple of things: make sure you're using Fullscreen (windowed) if you like to alt+tab. Also enable dx11 mode by adding:
SET gxApi "d3d11"
to the config.wtf file. There is a massive performance increase on the 6900 cards with directx 11.

So I went to change my config file back to DX9 and discovered that the line for DX11 had disappeared so I guess I was running in DX9. Setting it back to DX11 seems to have resolved the flicker issue and the game runs better in general. Alt-tab and login freezing still happens though.

For alt-tabbing, Windows(Full Screen) is your best option.

You can also download RadeonPro, you can setup to where you can notified if its running DX11.

I don't have flickering in WOW with my 6970, but it does freeze when I alt-tab out. I alt-tab out and back in, and it works fine after that.

Back