WoW Consumes You

AACI_CIO

Limp Gawd
When I started WoW, the game seemed intimidating and a bit boring. However, after Blizzard worked out some of the server issues and made the game playable, I reached level 10. Once you pass level 10, the world really starts to open: Chimera flights, warping across the entire world, trade crafts come into swing, etc. Now all I need is a way to stop playing until I have finished the semester. ;)

Also, if you want to buy the monthly cards, Amazon has the two month cards for 26.99 shipped free (save $3).

AACI_CIO said:
Now all I need is a way to stop playing until I have finished the semester. ;)

im in the same spot! i have a 6 page paper to write, an 8 page paper to write, 3 more tests, but WoW is just so easy to get into and play!..

this is gonna be very bad!
:D

i hear your pain, im kinda glad i goto college during the week, but when i drive home friday i dont stop playing. im lvl 14 mage on stormreaver, my name is BeeZaa. im going for a 31 arcane/ 20 fire mage. I LOVE THIS GAME, the wait times are upsetting but i log in the morning when their are none and sit in the server all day

edit - i used my moms credit card to signup, i dont want it to get charged for next month, so where do i go to cancel the credit card payment for next month so i can buy gamecards?? basically i had to use the cc to signup and i want to use gamecards instead

I have a question about WoW (and this pretty much applies to any MMORPG game)

Is there a goal? Like if you chose to save the world kind of thing, can you do it? or is it always open and you just build and build and build until your bored with the game?

"Like if you chose to save the world kind of thing, can you do it? or is it always open and you just build and build and build until your bored with the game?"

You got it.

The game looks awesome, I have been a warcraft fan for a while, and I have only heard good things about it, but I don't do pay-to-play...ever.

(Though, I am seriously considering to do it for this... :eek: )

DiZASTiX said:
The game looks awesome, I have been a warcraft fan for a while, and I have only heard good things about it, but I don't do pay-to-play...ever.

Me too...15 dollars! Maybe I will just not eat unhealthy fastfood meals three times a month :p

ElementK said:
"Like if you chose to save the world kind of thing, can you do it? or is it always open and you just build and build and build until your bored with the game?"

You got it.

*chuckling*

which one? both? or the build build until bored

DiZASTiX said:

I USED TO say exactly that "man you want me to buy a game, then pay for it every month too?? forget that!" but that was when I was stuck in the rut of the same old boring hax/whiner filled fps's.. I never played a mmo before this one and it's a hell of a lot of fun and just cool to play something completely different, but also crazy addictive, I have to put myself in check just to get my school work done lol

I'm hooked on World of Warcrack also. My character is a 20th lvl Paladin on Blackrock, so that should tell you something. Fortunately I finished school a long time ago, so I have no term papers due.. :D

I've been in a clan (Erinyes) for going on 7 years now (we started with QW:TF) and a bunch of the guys are playing. We've got about 20 in our guild now, and there is usually 10 or so on at any given time. We even got our tabbard a couple of days ago. We rented a teamspeak server (10 bucks a month or something like that) so we have voice chat.

We've been questing and leveling like crazy. I've found that it's better to be solo on the quests you can handle on your own, so you don't split xp when killing. There were a few times I was close to leveling, so I find a good spot to farm mobs near my level. You can usually get about 100xp a piece, but when you're with 4 other guys in a party, you get like 30xp for mobs near your level. For elite quests, it's really fun to party and have at it. Some of them are pretty tough. Some of the quests are mindless and stupid, but we're working towards raids and PvP. Some other quests are fun. Tonight I'm doing my level 20 Paladin quest, and I hear that it's fun.

Being in a strong guild with buddies you've known a long time is a total and complete blast. Voice chat is huge. When we party, we coordinate and combine to be effective killing machines. The guild master and I both Paladin (he's lvl 23) and we combine buffs, and tank. We usually work with a hunter to pull mobs so we don't get overwhelmed, and a mage/warlock to deal some damage, and maybe another warrior. I find that most people don't want to priest, so with our 2 paladins in the party, we can share the healing around. I heal him when he gets low, and he does for me. We do have a high level priest, but he works odd hours. You should hear the voice chat when things start getting hairy..

Being in a guild is also great for sharing the wealth. We have a guy that makes bags for everyone, and a guy that can enchant and so on. We also share items, and work with lower level guys to get them going quick. We can get a guy from start to level 15 really quick now because we know the quests, the areas, and can dominate the mobs.

I did some duling last night, and all I can say is that the Paladin owns. At level 19, I kicked the crap out of a lvl 23 warrior. We traded blows, and he was beating me down pretty good.. I did a heal, and continued to trade blows. I had all my buffs going too. When I was near dead, I did a divine protection, which makes you immune to damage for 6 seconds, and during that time I did a lay on hands, which gives you back full health at the expense of the balance of your mana (which was virtually none at that time). Then I finished him off. He was stunned and said "how the @%#$ did you get all your health back?". I just laughed and taunted him, using the in-game emotes. I was great when I had the divine protection on and he was beating on me to no effect. He could see me casting, and I'm sure he was trying to interrupt my spell, but he couldn't. It soooo rules... Sure, there's a long cool down for the lay on hands, but I don't care, I won the dual. LOL

I'm sure there will be challenges fighting other clases, but I'll work on that to find effective strategies. But, having my other Paladin buddy combining buffs with me makes us both extremely tough hombres. :D

If you see the Dirty Dirty Dwarves on Blackrock, that's us.. say hi.. ;)

DiZASTiX said:

I was in your shoes for YEARS. One day my friend you will try pay to play and probably wonder why you didn't make the move earlier. Pay to play IS the future, get used to it.

$15 a month is like 3 beers at the bar :) Take the dive you won't regret it, I promise.

Hell yeah WoW consumes you. I'm a lvl 28 mage, working on gathering a few good men and friends to start a guild (people that actually know what they're doing), and just started with tailoring. I was tailoring like mad yesterday.

Everything about WoW is awesome. Whether questing in instance dungeons with a group, to buying goods off user-created auctions (very similar to ebay), the game is just too damn good to pass up despite its somewhat dated graphics.

I'm looking forward to getting off work and playing some more. I also have a school essay due next week... shit, heh.

versello said:
the game is just too damn good to pass up despite its somewhat dated graphics.

MMOs are designed with a bit outdated graphics. The server load would be too much if the graphics were like Far Cry, plus ... most people don't own 'awesome' gaming machines. Blizzard is a brilliant company, hats off to them.

theNoid said:
MMOs are designed with a bit outdated graphics. The server load would be too much if the graphics were like Far Cry, plus ... most people don't own 'awesome' gaming machines. Blizzard is a brilliant company, hats off to them.

Not true. Just look at EQ2, which has some stunning visuals and pushes even the latest technology. Graphics duties are mainly dependent on the client and not the server. WoW has been in development for ages, though.

Don't get me wrong, though. I love the "look and feel" of WoW.

Micas said:
At level 19, I kicked the crap out of a lvl 23 warrior. We traded blows, and he was beating me down pretty good.. I did a heal, and continued to trade blows. I had all my buffs going too. When I was near dead, ............

Um, sounds like he was the one kicking the crap out of your paladin, especially with all the healing you had to do. And that "devine" thing you cast sounds like it's buggy or currently an exploit.

Badger_sly said:
Um, sounds like he was the one kicking the crap out of your paladin, especially with all the healing you had to do. And that "devine" thing you cast sounds like it's buggy or currently an exploit.

no... its not an exploit

i was a 35 paladin in open beta and i have to say 1v1 a paladin can kill anything if played right, however u will feel a lack of usefulness in big raids as you have no ranged abilities and pretty much no way of stopping a person from running away

Netrat33 said:
I have a question about WoW (and this pretty much applies to any MMORPG game)

Is there a goal? Like if you chose to save the world kind of thing, can you do it? or is it always open and you just build and build and build until your bored with the game?

not to get off topic..just answering the question..

I'm speaking as a MMORPG noob and mainly as a FPS player.

IMO in regards to MMOs, "Is there a goal?"...to me yes and no. Yes, to max out your character and battle for land. No, cause its never ending until you get bored and move onto something else.

The same could be said for a FPS. How many CTF, DM, etc... games can you play till you get bored with that game and move onto another. It's pretty much the same thing over and over again...with different players and maps.

In the past I had no desire or interest for MMOs... I felt like "what was the point"? You can't win...it never ends...so what's the addiction? After playing WOW during the beta and since its released, I can't tell you what the addiction is but, I find myself playing it a lot. The only reason I downloaded the beta...was due to Fileplanet's contest so, I figured what the heck, I'll give a MMO a try.

I've played a couple of MMOs in the past (friend's accounts) and, I just always felt like you were rushing through the game trying to keep up with everyone that was always a higher lvl than you (keeping up with Jones's)...only to get to a high lvl and then what? And it also felt like FOREVER to get anywhere with your character and you had to group up with other people just to do anything. How many times can you kill a creature just to get x amount of XP to get to x LVL. To me it was boring as hell.

But, some how WOW has sucked me in....And I think it was just being able to play it for 30-60mins and still walk a way having some fun and accomplishing some thing with your character. I can quest, solo, fish, work on trades, or just explore. Just kicking back, taking my time doing whatever and really enjoy the hell out of it.

And yes, it will consume you...cause that's all I feel like doing now. Like everyone else with exams and papers due soon.

versello said:
I love the "look and feel" of WoW.

Agree.

I haven't seen EQ2 but, even its 10x better than WoW then so be it. I think WoW and its cartoonish look, still looks impressive but, thats all my opinion.

Badger_sly said:

It's "divine", and it's apparent you really haven't much understanding of how PvP works in an MMO. Each class has it's abilities, and you seem to think that it's all about melee damage. Well, it's not.

Obviously a warrior is going to deal more damage in melee than a Paladin. This is especially true when the warrior is 4 levels higher than the Paladin, as was the case in my example. By all rights, he should have completely smoked me, but the Paladin is so strong in it's abilities that I was able to defeat him through strategy. Of course I had to heal. That's a Paladin ability, and I use it the same as my oponent uses his warrior ability to deal more damage than I do.

Divine protection is not buggy, and it's not an exploit. It's an ability. Duh. Each class has their own abilties, and strategy is important in how you deploy them. At the end of the fight, my oponent's warrior bowed down (yes, they really do force you do bow down to an oponent if you lose) to me, a character 4 levels lower, so yes, I kicked the crap out of him. Maybe he learned something from it, and next time it will be me doing the bowing.

vox87 said:
not to get off topic..just answering the question..

I'm speaking as a MMORPG noob and mainly as a FPS player.

IMO in regards to MMOs, "Is there a goal?"...to me yes and no. Yes, to max out your character and battle for land. No, cause its never ending until you get bored and move onto something else.

The same could be said for a FPS. How many CTF, DM, etc... games can you play till you get bored with that game and move onto another. It's pretty much the same thing over and over again...with different players and maps.

In the past I had no desire or interest for MMOs... I felt like "what was the point"? You can't win...it never ends...so what's the addiction? After playing WOW during the beta and since its released, I can't tell you what the addiction is but, I find myself playing it a lot. The only reason I downloaded the beta...was due to Fileplanet's contest so, I figured what the heck, I'll give a MMO a try.

I've played a couple of MMOs in the past (friend's accounts) and, I just always felt like you were rushing through the game trying to keep up with everyone that was always a higher lvl than you (keeping up with Jones's)...only to get to a high lvl and then what? And it also felt like FOREVER to get anywhere with your character and you had to group up with other people just to do anything. How many times can you kill a creature just to get x amount of XP to get to x LVL. To me it was boring as hell.

But, some how WOW has sucked me in....And I think it was just being able to play it for 30-60mins and still walk a way having some fun and accomplishing some thing with your character. I can quest, solo, fish, work on trades, or just explore. Just kicking back, taking my time doing whatever and really enjoy the hell out of it.

And yes, it will consume you...cause that's all I feel like doing now. Like everyone else with exams and papers due soon.

Agree.

I haven't seen EQ2 but, even its 10x better than WoW then so be it. I think WoW and its cartoonish look, still looks impressive but, thats all my opinion.

Thanks for the reply :) I think I might have to check into this game called WoW ;)

Plus I love blizzard so that's why I felt like...taking a leap into MMORPGs

DiZASTiX said:

ya same here i will never pay to play... but i really have been considering it for world of warcraft... im just gonna wait for guild wars which is a sweet mmorpg with no monthly fee!

-warsaw

Micas said:
At the end of the fight, my oponent's warrior bowed down (yes, they really do force you do bow down to an oponent if you lose) to me, a character 4 levels lower, so yes, I kicked the crap out of him. Maybe he learned something from it, and next time it will be me doing the bowing.

I don't think the lost animation is a bow, but rather you're on your knees catching your breath... like you're tired / lost / got pwned.

warsawtag said:
ya same here i will never pay to play... but i really have been considering it for world of warcraft... im just gonna wait for guild wars which is a sweet mmorpg with no monthly fee!

-warsaw

Yes, we already know how much you love Guild Wars because it has no monthly fees, as evidenced here http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=837402.

well thank you for searching back in threads just to find htat out, you my friend shold be a detective

-warsaw

No problem. I remember skimming that thread a few days ago for information pertaining to WoW and EQ2, and then suddenly I see Guild Wars. :eek:

Micas said:
It's "divine", and it's apparent you really haven't much understanding of how PvP works in an MMO.
Wrong.

Each class has it's abilities, and you seem to think that it's all about melee damage. Well, it's not.
Duh. I'm well aware of how it works.

Maybe I got the name of the ability wrong, but what I was referring to was this:
and during that time I did a lay on hands, which gives you back full health at the expense of the balance of your mana (which was virtually none at that time).
Getting full health back at little to no real cost, such as you described, is either a poor decision during the games development, or simply a bug in the coding. If a bug, then when someone figures it out and starts to use it to his advantage, it becomes an exploit.

Now I'm not just taking the side of the guy you were fighting. I'm just saying that from the way you described it, he should have won, had that ability been developed correctly (say, gave you health back equal to what mana you had left).

Techx said:
I USED TO say exactly that "man you want me to buy a game, then pay for it every month too?? forget that!" but that was when I was stuck in the rut of the same old boring hax/whiner filled fps's.. I never played a mmo before this one and it's a hell of a lot of fun and just cool to play something completely different, but also crazy addictive, I have to put myself in check just to get my school work done lol

theNoid said:
I was in your shoes for YEARS. One day my friend you will try pay to play and probably wonder why you didn't make the move earlier. Pay to play IS the future, get used to it.

$15 a month is like 3 beers at the bar :) Take the dive you won't regret it, I promise.

now you guys got me all hyped up! Damn you :p

My friend bought it so I think I will goto his house and try it out (though I am sure it is as great as everyone says, I gotta try it first ;))

The non-pay to play concept was dear to me for years.... However, WoW looked too good to pass up. Furthermore, I often play and win a game in one month for the same $50 (read: Half-Life 2, Doom3, etc.). Hence, I thought, "Why not play for a month and decide later...." Well, after 4 days, I can say this game could be my big thing for a year or more. If Blizz puts out expansions (almost a certainty), I may play for longer. In fact, if this game does turn into my big off-time excursion, I might actually save money (e.g., ~$160 for WoW per year vs. buying 5-6 other short games at $50 each = $250-$300).

Name: Beregirn
Class: Tauren Druid
Level: 18 as of Nov. 28

Now, to get my multivariate analysis (MANOVA) of estrogen therapy done and move my arse up to my play computer!

Must... get...

By the way, if you pay for more months in advance you get it cheaper.

I believe some guy said you can pay for 6 months @ $12/month. Not much, but it's a tad cheaper if you are scrunging for cash.

Badger_sly said:
Getting full health back at little to no real cost, such as you described, is either a poor decision during the games development, or simply a bug in the coding. If a bug, then when someone figures it out and starts to use it to his advantage, it becomes an exploit.

no... jesus
play the class before u say stuff like that
it can only be used once an hour, and it takes away ALL of your mana, most of the time your life will be threatened greatly before you reach the end of your mana bar

This doesnt deserve its own thread, but this seems to be a god place to say irt

for those wondering about how low of a system the game will run on. i managed to get WoW running on my 12" Averatec 3220h1 laptop.

the laptop is an xp-m 2000+ with 512 pc2100 ram (shared), with an s3 unichrome integrated shipset.

the game doesnt look pretty with all of the details turned down, but once you get away from the major areas (lots of people) , and start killing mobs, it runs nearly as smooth as my a64 desktop

FYI for people with low end systems.

theNoid said:

Umm, EQ2? that game can't even run at the highest settings with current technology, it's made to be scalable for future computers. They did this because one of the biggest complaints about EQ a few years after its release was that, compared to other mmorpgs, it didn't look nearly as good, so they are trying to give the graphics a longer life in EQ2.

It's really not playable on <1gb of ram either, you can try to play it on 512, but in towns it'll start HD thrashing like crazy.

If you have the system to handle it, it can look better then any mmorpg out there, real time shadowing, reflections, bump mapping, etc.

dawtips said:
no... jesus
it can only be used once an hour, and it takes away ALL of your mana, most of the time your life will be threatened greatly before you reach the end of your mana bar

ya i'm jsut wondering if he's even played it.. and if he has if he's even played a pally

DiZASTiX said:

It's actually $12.99/mo. if you sign up for the 6 month deal when u create your account. I am a die hard WC !!!!!! so I said what the heck...6months. If there was a year thing for $10/mo. I would have bitten :D .

dawtips said:
no... jesus

You're either missing the point, or pretending to not understand. I was just pointing out that the game either has a balance issue or a bug. Either way, I'm done with it.

Gongo said:
ya i'm jsut wondering if he's even played it.. and if he has if he's even played a pally

That's what I was thinking as well. I mean, I just described a cool encounter that I had beating up on a warrior of higher level by clever use of my spells. That guy comes along and says it's either a bug or a huge design flaw, without even understand the basics of what was going on. I mean, if the outcome of a fight is pre-determined by your level, what's the point of having a fight? WoW is cool because you can develop and employ a strategy to win. Isn't that like any good game? I think I've got a really good strategy for a paladin, and it's most definately not a bug.. I was getting beat down in a fight and decided to turn that around by employing a powerful ability. It's just too cool..

Micas said:
That's what I was thinking as well. I mean, I just described a cool encounter that I had beating up on a warrior of higher level by clever use of my spells. That guy comes along and says it's either a bug or a huge design flaw, without even understand the basics of what was going on. I mean, if the outcome of a fight is pre-determined by your level, what's the point of having a fight? WoW is cool because you can develop and employ a strategy to win. Isn't that like any good game? I think I've got a really good strategy for a paladin, and it's most definately not a bug.. I was getting beat down in a fight and decided to turn that around by employing a powerful ability. It's just too cool..

Indeed. For every character that has some ability, theres some other character with a counter. I enjoy using my Tauren war stomp to interupt peoples heal/other spells, then hit them with instant moonfire. Its a perfect coup-de-grace. When im playing well, against only mediocre characters, I can regularly win PvP up to 4 levels higher, just because of planning out my attacks and countering what they seem to be doing. Although some classes are more powerful than others, as they like to say in the motorcycle racing business, its not about the bike, but the rider.

WoW has checks and balances, strategies and counter-strategies, ad infinity. People with no experience should refrain from making judgements.. Ive never even seen EQ2, and so refuse to comment on it, other than that I wont be playing it.

I've pretty much been convinced to pick this one up. I don't like games that make me pay to play but there is so much talk about how this game is the first MMORPG that gets it right. From what I have read and heard it looks pretty sweet. But as many of you, I'm approaching the end of the quarter and I need to ace my finals. It'll have to wait till Christmas Break.

LOL the imbalance issue really cracks me up.

The game is not even 2 weeks old . If one class is overly powered eventually they will do something . But there will never be an even match 100% between classes do to equipment partially, you forgot some players might be uber twank compared to the other player . All you pvpers should know that when ones changed one other gets something.

Just like the issue of melee players vs, spellcasters .Hit a spellcaster 3 times and hell plop to the ground, but if you cant do that your owned.

It cant be 100 % balanced and it never will be, they will do what they can and the rest will be left to the tactics of the player engaging pvp....

Tactics, your gear , and your lag can play a big role, even though with all that there will still be superior classes for pvp, and there will be clases in pve that one player can kill a mob that 6 others cant. think about it..

About the fee implemented for MMo's . Thats up to you , you dont have to play if you dont want to pay, theres a ton of other games out, but it wont be one with thousands of players on at the same time on one server.

Even with Ultima online which was the coolest game in the world until they changed the ability to be a archer-mage(boy those were fun times), charged a monthly fee and it was back in 1997

lates ....

Badger_sly said:
You're either missing the point, or pretending to not understand. I was just pointing out that the game either has a balance issue or a bug. Either way, I'm done with it.

i was a lvl 35 paladin in open beta, i think i know what im talking about

"Burn all mana for full heal" sounds like something that's going to be nerfed in a future patch.

ameoba said:
"Burn all mana for full heal" sounds like something that's going to be nerfed in a future patch.

i dont understand why you guys are saying that, its not overpowered and its not overused, lay on hands has been in the game since the paladin was allowed to be played and has it changed since? i dont think so

dont make your judgements on the words of a description, play it and see for yourself or trust those who have had experience

Back