WoW Classic 8/27. Beta is May 22–Thurs May 23

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Dan, May 14, 2019.

1. $trapped

$trapped [H]Lite

That would be interesting too, but I think would require more time and resources away from whatever else they have in the development pipeline. They already have all the relevant data they would need for progression, so if classic can sustain itself it would be less of an issue. Alternate timelines could be really interesting for developing ideas they scrapped, like the naga race that was rumored iirc. Also, with all the tech advances they could take the new timelines into some groundbreaking territory. Would they be motivated to do it? Would they do it well? Idk, but either path has its pros/cons.

2. Lakados

Lakados [H]ard|Gawd

I think they need to do something, I am out of the loop story wise at this point from WoW (I stopped paying attention after WotLK) though I stopped playing after what ever came after Cataclysm, I don't even remember that's how underwhelming they were.... They are supposedly working on Warcraft 4, but I do not envy the position of those writers doing something that would have to work off where ever WoW is story wise at that point then still have the outcome of that play back into WoW would be hard as balls. Using Classic as an excuse to clean up the time line and smooth some of that out would be a godsend to their writing department and possibly let them go in some cool different directions. Like those various Manga's/LN's where the hero goes back in time to undo things and it turns out there was some huge underlying force controlling it all in the background that they were completely unaware of, so new dungeons and forces to fight against that prevents huge things from happening blah blah blah maybe the Cataclysm never happens because you successfully stop them from releasing Deathwing or something because they were using the Litch King as a smoke screen to cover their actions?

3. $trapped

$trapped [H]Lite

I could totally see this as a possibility. Could see some great comic memes come from having current figures travel back in time with graphic juxtapositions. "Is that what I looked like back then?!" PVP could have battles for control of special time portals the factions would need to complete quests, unique instances, maybe even a raid too. Might be a little ambitious with today's minimal effort/time constrained player base, but yeah, the writers would probably salivate at the opportunity to redress/revisit old material. Also, I still wish they would have implemented world boss spawns, like they did in Rift, because it really was a great way to break up the monotonous grind that questing can be.

4. nilepez

nilepez [H]ardForum Junkie

Never played wow, but when they had classic EQ servers, I enjoyed them. Unfortunately, they seemed to always turn into a race by high end player to get to the end, thus ruining it for everyone who wasn't racing, because everyone would abandon old content for the latest area to open up. hopefully WOW does it better.

Armenius and workshop35 like this.
  5. Trigger

Trigger Limp Gawd

about 250-350 chars on at peak times, which is more than the original mac server
    it's mostly PC players, but a ton of old EQMac people and guilds, raid scene is very healthy
    see new players starting up all the time, it's going very well

6. Auer

Auer Gawd

7. DukenukemX

DukenukemX [H]ardness Supreme

I heard they're not going to recreate the AQ40 gates opening? On private servers they do this well, and it's so much fun.

8. BiH115

BiH115 Gif Guy

Where did you hear that? It's one of the more often talked about topics, in that people will be able to participate in the opening of the gates.

9. DukenukemX

DukenukemX [H]ardness Supreme

I read it somewhere on MMO-Champion, but that was months ago.

10. chockomonkey

chockomonkey [H]ardForum Junkie

I like to be more optimistic. I personally think that all the decisions to bring in more casual players, and the gradual dumbing down of WoW over the years in order to chase money at the cost of the game will leave the players who give classic a chance absolutely in awe at how compelling and immersive it used to be. The amount of time it takes to reach end game is completely irrelevant because in classic the journey was so damn fun.

11. Westwood Arrakis

Westwood Arrakis Gawd

Wouldn't mind giving this a chance, but not really wanting to pay $15 a month for it.

DukenukemX and Armenius like this.
  12. Auer

Auer Gawd

I'm laughing at the streamers proclaiming world firsts and acting like they invented large scale world PVP.

If the PvP servers in classic have healthy populations some newcomers will quickly find out this ain't Fortnite...

That said, entirely possible that new players approach this in a very different manner and make it all work in a way that is to their liking.

$trapped and Armenius like this.
  13. chockomonkey

What streams you watching? I could use a good laugh

14. Westwood Arrakis

Westwood Arrakis Gawd

I tried watching that asmongold guy. He has to have one of the most punchable faces. I blipped through his Deadmines run, and he's acting like he's competing a world chess competition or something. shit, when I first did Deadmines we didn't even a healer.

Armenius and Auer like this.
  15. Auer

Auer Gawd

None.

Just browsed r/classicwow this morning..

chockomonkey likes this.
  16. Dan

Dan [H]ardness Supreme

I find his humor pretty funny. Face is deff punchable

Auer and Armenius like this.
  17. Grimlaking

Grimlaking 2[H]4U

I loaded it up and ran around for a few minutes. Classic wow at max settings makes my 2080 get HOT because there are no checks. I had to turn on vsync to slow it's roll.

there is no option to choose a different Direct X version. It's all 6 or ancient or something.

The textures are all of the old textures with clunky models.

Basically it's the classic version of wow that looks like shit compared to modern wow (not even talking compared to modern games.)

I wish they would have given us the current engine with the old content. But I guess that couldn't happen.

18. chockomonkey

So, all you people getting in have an active wow sub? Really wish i could be in on this beta funtime

19. Elf_Boy

Elf_Boy 2[H]4U

Having Wow + a SKILL TREE again might be nice rather then the current BS skill system.

20. Auer

Auer Gawd

https://massivelyop.com/2019/05/20/...s-graphics-in-classic-and-battle-for-azeroth/

Armenius and BiH115 like this.
  21. chockomonkey

There should be options to make it look more up to date

Armenius likes this.
  22. workshop35

workshop35 Gawd

Yeah im pretty sure you have to have an active sub to get in.

It wouldnt be the same if you used the new graphics. I personally prefer to play classic with classic graphics. You should submit feedback on your gpu issue, its good info for the devs.

Its been a fun walk down memory lane so far, im hesitant to keep playing my main just so it still feels new when it releases in august.

Gamerdad, chockomonkey and Armenius like this.
  23. Westwood Arrakis

Westwood Arrakis Gawd

I wouldn't mind playing classic now that I have an idea on what I'm doing. Back when this first started (like before Xenif hit 60), we never ran with dedicated healers, no idea what threat was, or how much each stat really affected our gameplay. Then again, the fact that really none of us knew what was going on made the game that much more fun I think.

24. BiH115

BiH115 Gif Guy

This was definitely informative. Subtle changes for sure versus Vanilla, but ones that are appreciated on the whole. Sometimes I toss around the thought that the newer models (not the newer "older" models, the latest ones) would work well with Classic, but then it wouldn't capture the nostalgia as well. I'm glad that they went with the decisions that they did.

Armenius, Auer and workshop35 like this.
  25. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Let the 8 hour Alterac Valley's begin!

qb4ever, DukenukemX, $trapped and 2 others like this.
  26. Auer

Auer Gawd

Only 8?

Slacker!

27. workshop35

workshop35 Gawd

We started one around 5pm one evening, i went to bed about 12, woke up and my friend was still in it, came home from work and renjoined him in the same AV. The dude probably spent about 30 hours non-stop in the same one until it was over.

Armenius and Auer like this.
  28. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

If this was you stuck in roots all day, I'm sorry, but it took that long to kill someone with moonfire.

upload_2019-5-20_14-33-4.png

workshop35 and $trapped like this.
  29. workshop35

workshop35 Gawd

I played the horribly gimped ret paladin since original beta, I'd just dispell everything :)

PhaseNoise likes this.
  30. ZodaEX

ZodaEX 2[H]4U

They sell a player's guide for Wow for $20 that explains what all the stats do. If you ever want to play it more seriously then I'd recommend picking it up.

chockomonkey likes this.
  31. Krenum

I still have my original WoW strategy guide, hmm, Could come in handy

Auer likes this.
  32. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

1. Don't stand in fire.
    2. Wait until tank has solid aggro before lighting up.
    3. CC stray mobs to keep your healer from dying (healing makes major aggro, especially to violators of #1).
    4. Profit!

:)

33. Krenum

Yeah....I know how to play WoW. But I've never found anything in the guide to make a profit.

Armenius, PhaseNoise and Auer like this.
  34. Auer

Auer Gawd

Pick gathering skills only and sell ore, herbs or skins. Fishing for the right types used in Raid Pots can profit well too.
    All take a lot of time.

ZodaEX and Krenum like this.
  35. Krenum

lol, I mean in RL, I was being sarcastic. Gotta get those Deviant fishes & leathers!

$trapped and Auer like this.
  36. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

The farming aspect really did suck. I did NOT miss that aspect at all with the addition of actual ways to make money.

37. Lakados

Lakados [H]ard|Gawd

That’s why I expect them to make a number of minor QoL changes to the game, Hard is good but pointless grind is no longer acceptable in a subscription game.

38. Westwood Arrakis

Westwood Arrakis Gawd

For whatever reason, I never had an issue with gold. I got lucky at one point, because there was a bot farming skinnable mobs for about a week. I'd follow the bot around for a few hours skinning all the mobs he left behind. I made a decent chunk there. I was the first character on server Gorefiend with an epic mount. I also found Staff of Jordan when I was level 39 and killed a level 40 Raptor in STV. I want to say that was the first one on the server as well.

Its funny, I started some forums on ProBoard(?) back when this all started with some local friends and its still up. Its kind of neat to go back and read some of the things we had in mind. No one has logged on in almost 15 years, but the content and pictures are still there.

39. Trimlock

Trimlock [H]ardForum Junkie

In early WoW herbs didn't sell all that well, not until later on when they unlocked more dungeons. The major sellers were skins and ore.

chockomonkey likes this.