wow, burn in on my 2005fpw?

Ocean

Supreme [H]ardness
so im browsing some potential wallpapers, and trying them out.

and im like, wow, i can see all the icons on my desktop through my windows, what setting made my windows transperant?

nope, i moved my icons around, it wasnt transperancy, it was burn in.

i didnt even know this was possible. i tried rubbing it out, stuck pixel way, powering monitor off. nope nada, and ive only had this screen like 4 weeks.

anyone have any ideas? suggestions? fore-knowlege of burn-in on LCDs?

pure white icons show up as dark areas now,
fuckin windows xp, i prefered the slightly less vibrant light light blue of my win2k :(

It's not burn in, it is only temporary image persistence which is common if you leave the screen on and not refresh it. Use a screen saver for 30 minutes, Turning it off will not help.

Can you post a screenie or two? Sorry to hear about your troubles... :(

Edit: on an aside,I always set my screen saver to go on after 5 or ten minutes with my lcd's...

yea leave a motion screensaver on or leave it on a pure white background for awhile and it should fix itself

Drop kick the monitor into the trash or you could find out and see it can be replaced with the warranty.

I came here to post for this VERY reason. How strange!

I am watching a movie on my 2005 and I can see the taskbar at the bottom (faintly) the whole time. I think..oh weird, but that should be temporary.. I turn off the monitor, and go to bed. The next day I turn on the monitor, and start watching another video and it's still there even after it's been off all night. Very strange.

EDIT: I just noticed that "turning it off will not help." But both movies were well over an hour long, and played nearly back to back without any regular windows usage. And it's still there today.

If it doesn't go away immediately(ie 30 minutes) then it was probably because that the image had been persisted for a very long time. Keep on trying the screen saver trick for a week. I don't think the monitor is defective, it happens to mine as well. If you don't like the task bar persistence you can try setting it to hide. If you do a lot of office apps and have the task bar and icons out(since the monitor is wide usually only half your desktop may be covered) then this will happen more often then say a person who uses it 2/3 for games and movies.

this also happened to my 2005fpw. my coworker was using nero on it and left it open all weekend. for some reason nero disables the screen saver and power saving options, so i had a nice faint nero burning dialog burned in. it was pretty annoying but it was only visible on certain colors and finally went away after about a week.

ok, im remaining optimistic,

but i also have the had the default star warp, for the entire life of the monitor, after about 15 minutes. or i leave on winamp's milkdrop visualation on the desktop.

I had the same problem at the very top...I could see the blue title bar etched into the screen. A solid white background seems to fix it good though. Now I power the thing down if it's on for more that 10 minutes.

My ViewSonic VP191b suffers from image persistence something severe. Originally it was hardcore gaming that caused it, but now that I'm aware of the problem, I have noticed that even normal/light use will cause it. I think it's ludicrous that some of these LCDs are apparently so sensitive that you have to take measures such as auto-hiding your taskbar, moving windows around frequently, setting your screensaver to come on in 5 mins or less, etc. I have a Dell 2001FP on order, and it better not have this problem. I'd love to know why some panels suffer from this and others don't. This is the first LCD I've owned, but I've been around LCDs for years, and have never experienced image persistence before, or know anyone personally who has either.

I have found that all-black (like the 'Blank' screensaver) works best on my VP191b to clear the persistence. It just takes an unreasonably long time.

I turned off the monitor for 12+ hours and it seemed to work. If not, switch to the white background for 12+ hours.

Now I just turn off the monitor when I go away for extended time, and have the screen saver set to 5min.

Reading this is making me re-think about buying a 20.1" LCD monitor this coming weekend.

If I cant even leave something open without getting some psudo-burn in crap happening, I want nothing to do with LCD monitors.

I only notice the persistence if I switch to a black background (or when the blackish screen saver is on), when the screen is non-black (the screen "gates" are open), you won't notice it.

If I cant even leave something open without getting some psudo-burn in crap happening, I want nothing to do with LCD monitors.

I wouldn't let it discourage you from buying an LCD. I post here a lot about my problem with burn-in because I am frustrated. But I am clearly in a very small minority. Perhaps nobody else here suffers from burn-in as bad as I do. I think whatever the problem with my VP191b is, it extends beyond mere image persistence... I think the panel has developed a defect of some kind.

But guess what? I would still rather use this "defective" LCD than any CRT. I have a perfectly good Mitsubishi 2040u ~21" CRT sitting on the desk next to me, and I never use it, except as a secondary device on occasion. The burn-in I get can be very annoying and distracting, but a lot of the time it's not even noticeable. It's not bad enough that I am motivated to try harder to return it to ViewSonic.

I've been quite reluctant to purchase another LCD after my recent experience, but after seeing five different Dell 2001FP's belonging to friends, all seemingly perfect, I just had to order one when that last deal came along. Hopefully it will be wonderful and defect-free.

Experiencing burn-in for so long on my beloved VP191b led me to believe that all LCDs suffer the same problem. But such is not the case apparently. I admit I've never seen it on any other LCD. And only a small number of people here complain about it.

By pure coincidence, I recently received a ViewSonic VP191b (same exact model) at work to use, and try as I might, I cannot see any evidence of burn-in on it. So why does one VP191b have the problem and another one not? Hell if I know. The only difference (assuming their guts are identical), is the environment (home vs. business), and connection (DVI vs. analog). I doubt the business panel has seen the kind of hardcore use my home panel has, but I'm sure it's got some mileage on it, and probably hasn't been handled as carefully.

So I'd say it's probably a combination of usage and luck whether you experience image persistence or not. But even if you do, I doubt it would be serious enough to be a deal-breaker.

WATobin said:
I wouldn't let it discourage you from buying an LCD. I post here a lot about my problem with burn-in because I am frustrated. But I am clearly in a very small minority. Perhaps nobody else here suffers from burn-in as bad as I do. I think whatever the problem with my VP191b is, it extends beyond mere image persistence... I think the panel has developed a defect of some kind.

But guess what? I would still rather use this "defective" LCD than any CRT. I have a perfectly good Mitsubishi 2040u ~21" CRT sitting on the desk next to me, and I never use it, except as a secondary device on occasion. The burn-in I get can be very annoying and distracting, but a lot of the time it's not even noticeable. It's not bad enough that I am motivated to try harder to return it to ViewSonic.

Well, the last LCD I used was a 1988 Zenith laptop, and im not even sure if it was an LCD. Anyways, Just reading all this about burnins, dead pixels and other problems kinda put a knot in my stomache when $379.00 is out there. Oh well, I can always return it. I may be grabbing one next week.

How many times do we have to repeat that it is not burn in, it is "persistence". They can be removed by the proper measures, unlike CRT burn-ins they are permanent.

I find the image persistence to be most noticable on a 50% gray screen. I get persistence along the top of the monitor where it gets hot, but only after I have been working on things for a few hours. It goes away pretty quick if I watch a video or play a game, or just turn the monitor off for an hour.

Back