wow BFG 6800gt oc heatsink doesnt fit the card!!!!

BallerX

[H]ard|Gawd
omg just pulled it from the box about 1 hour ago... the very first thing i did was lift the card up to the light to see if the nice huge heavy copper h/s was touching everything it should be.
guess what? it wasnt.. i could see a clear air gap between the ram chips and the thermal tape that was attatched to the heatsink. after further inspection i find that it is missing one of the hold down screws. then i look back at the little plastic package it comes in and there is the hold down screw sheared off laying there. see here is the problem.... BFG says it was a shipping thing but just looking at this thing i dont see how it could fit without extreme tension. all the ram chips are lower than the core and the Heatsink is a flat plate!! anyone else see anything wrong with that? BFG is going to send me another one but first i have to sent this one to them and im looking at another 10 days :mad: im fairly sure the hsf is gonna be jacked on the new one also... seriously thinking of just firing this one up and seeing if it works if it does i might just take the whole thing off and put some as5 on it and see if i can make some contact. this might be a workable option if anyone knows if any standard sized pc screws will fit the BFG hsf as i only have 3 now.

If I were you, I would wait those 10 days instead of removing the heatsink and applying AS5. I know it sucks but that will prevent you from voiding your warranty. It is BFG responsibility to supply a product that is worth 400-500$ :rolleyes:

My 0.02$

Para

i thought bfg was supposed to be fabbing thier own cards already? i guess not. i cant think they would leave the spec-level chips unlevel!!!! its just retarded. i think they just pulled off the stock nvidia hsf and added that 2lb piece of copper. im not going to buy an nv silencer for the same reason. flat plate uneven components... hell i think even the dd water block is a flat plate!!!! it might work ok. but its ceartainly not the best solution.

I like Leadtek's heatsink. It's got raised parts in all the right places for 100% flat contact between the ram and the GPU. I've seen BFG's card and I wasn't impressed with the cooler at all.

Back