WoW battlegrounds?

munkle

[H]F Junkie
i have a lvl 43 warlock but my account is inactive, i was going to sign back up because battlegrounds look like fun, but i hate my warlock so much but warlock is improving, just wondering what all of you think of battlegrounds, if i reroll it will probablly be a rouge or druid.

Warlocks are actually really good in alterac valley, but the min lvl for it is 50

AV is a massive BG that has 40 players per team and warlocks really shine with AoE and instant dot spams.

The other BGs lack enough people to benfit the spammage warlocks can deliver though imo. That is not to say they are worthless, but as world of rougecraft says, warlocks are the mushrooms......

so what are all the battlegrounds? i thought there was only the one in atlerac valley? and you never said if you thought the battle grounds were fun.

Warsong Gulch-Ten versus Ten-level 10-60
Basically this is a 10 man capture the flag event. Both teams start at their respective bases and try to steal the other teams flag and defend theres. Games tend to go pretty long (hour long games are common). Basically a ghost town these days though on some servers.

Alterac Valley-Fourty versus Fourty-level 50-60
Giant scale battle in a giant map. Basic idea is to push all the way back to your opponents base and kill there leader. Get reputation and honor for completely quests/HKs/etc. Some servers have multiple games running at any given time. Some may have one game every night. Some may only have games on BG holidays. Games tend to run very long too. 5-7 hours is average, with games lasting 24 hours+ are not entirely uncommon.

Arathi Basin-Fifteen versus Fifteen-level 10-60
Quickest and newest BG. There are 5 "resources" (Blacksmith, Lumber Mill, stables, farm, and mine) with a flag station at each. For every amount of X time your team controls a resource, your side gains points. Whoever reaches 2000 points firsts wins. Games are quick (usually 20 minutes) and the honor/rep is good. I personally farm this place any freetime I have that I'm not in MC. The reputation rewards are really good for both factions.

lol nobody has said anything if they are fun or not, farming might not be considered fun to some :p

I really like AB, lots of fun to be had there
no one plays WSG, at least not on my server, unless they are giving out bonus honor
AV is always broken
AB FTW, I will melt your face

I would say that BG is fun. I like AV for some reason. Mass chaos is entertaining.

It is also sweet grabbing some guildies and goin into the smaller 2 BG's.

Tough to say if you would like it, but I think it is enjoyable.

Right now my WAR is lvl 39 and the only games I can get into is WSG. Although I'm not a big CTF type, is it alot of fun. Also, with the loosening of the rank progressions, I am looking forward to working towards pvp armor.

So yes, for me it's a good time :)

does anyone know how druids fare in pvp? i just cant stand my warlock, it seems as if he wasnt built for pvp at all since alot of the spells we have kill over time and few instant damage spells

I'll take some screenshots tonight, if i go in. I haven't decided if imma pvp or not. ;)

munkle said:
does anyone know how druids fare in pvp? i just cant stand my warlock, it seems as if he wasnt built for pvp at all since alot of the spells we have kill over time and few instant damage spells
World of rougraft videos broke down the pvp class balance in a simple rock, scissor, paper formula:
Rouges are Scissors
Warriors are Rock
Hunters, Mages, Preists, Rouges, Druids, Shamans, and Paladins are Paper.....

Warlocks are mushroom

Now, Scissors beats Paper, but scissors also beat rock. Until rock turns 60, in which case it becomes an unstoppable killing force that beat both scissors and paper.
http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=7940

Pretty much the a part point of the video is that warlocks are worthless on small scale PvP, as their skills rely heavily on (relatively) slow DoT spells, long cast time and low crit spells, and AoE. Pretyt worthless to bring a lock to anything under a 10v10 as the warlock will be spending a lot of time just standing around, wasting mana on shadow bolt, or wasting AoEs on the few enemies they can actually get in range.

In AV, everyone is packed into a well defined battle line and you can easily entrap a good 15 people into a single AoE and on top of that just spam out curse of agony and corruption to further to assist in the killings.

So, AV is the only one where warlocks can make a difference, but getting into an AV instance is an entirely different problem

118571116.jpg

Here I am about a week ago at the stables in Arathi basin. Btw, that would be 15 alliance in the screen shot zerging the bejesus outta the place. They were losing terribly so they all grouped up and literally went in a circle around the map. The entire alliance was 7 hunters, 5 paladins, a rogue, and a shadow priest, the 5 pallys were humans and everything else were female NE

DermicSavage said:
World of rougraft videos broke down the pvp class balance in a simple rock, scissor, paper formula:

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=7940

Pretty much the a part point of the video is that warlocks are worthless on small scale PvP, as their skills rely heavily on (relatively) slow DoT spells, long cast time and low crit spells, and AoE. Pretyt worthless to bring a lock to anything under a 10v10 as the warlock will be spending a lot of time just standing around, wasting mana on shadow bolt, or wasting AoEs on the few enemies they can actually get in range.

In AV, everyone is packed into a well defined battle line and you can easily entrap a good 15 people into a single AoE and on top of that just spam out curse of agony and corruption to further to assist in the killings.

So, AV is the only one where warlocks can make a difference, but getting into an AV instance is an entirely different problem

booo... i hate my warlock even more now, i guess all im good for is a soulstone
:(

munkle said:
booo... i hate my warlock even more now, i guess all im good for is a soulstone
:(
Dont forget the healthstones and summons ;) (god I hate getting PMed at total random from a guy wanting a taxi to winterspring XD)

I have a 8/31/12 Feral spec druid and not only do i still primary heal in all the end game instances including MC/BWL/Onyxia, but he's a badass in pvp when i get around to playing it. There is no spec as fun as feral.

Feral is the spec you're going to want in pvp, for leveling, and for farming in end game to make your money. Right now i have 750 attack power, 25% crit, 14% dodge when i'm self buffed and i only have 5 or 6 blue items.

the 1.8 patch was very very nice to us, i've quit leveling my rogue because my druid is so much more fun.

Ron1jed said:
is there tanks in battlegrounds :confused:

nope. this is basically b/c all the smart people attack the healers, then mages, then warriors. but give a warrior some epic gear, skills and healers, and a unstoppable warrior it will become.

i dont know what to do, i dont want to spend all that time leveling over again, but i dont want to level my warlock just to have him suck :confused:

im even more confused i was reading the wow forums on warlock, people are complaining we are overpowered :confused: i should have just made a rouge like 50% (exageration) of the people and ran around saying stapwnd :p

munkle said:
im even more confused i was reading the wow forums on warlock, people are complaining we are overpowered :confused: i should have just made a rouge like 50% (exageration) of the people and ran around saying stapwnd :p

not as much exaggeration as you think, however a really good rogue is irreplaceable.

There are those people who play and then there are those people who really learn their class.

With some recent tweaks, warlocks are great in all battlegrounds. In Warsong they can effectively stop defense and allow a flag runner to get away with seduce + fear + death coil. In Arathi Basin they can do the same for delaying an attack or crowd control for a quick flag cap. In Alterac they have the luxury of spamming long range spells. However on defense a warlock will need support as they have very few (ie. two, three with talents) insta-cast spells. If you let even a feral druid in cat form continuously hit the warlock he will not be able to do much.

The key with warlocks in any battleground is to stick with your party.

Generally when I play with my regular group, WSG takes about 10-15 minutes, unless we're against a good guild group in which case it can last a very, very long time. In AB games tend to be 8-14 minutes, unless again it's a good team in which case it'll probably take about 24 minutes (holding three nodes vs. two). AV is just ridiculously long now that you can't join as group and modified some terrain and NPCs. Before Blizzard dumbed it down to zerg on zerg an organized raid would roll through each game in an hour (actually less time than that but to get the full bonus we'd wait an hour). Now it takes so long that no one stays for the entire game and the only reason to play it is to grind reputation for the vendor rewards, thus the valley is filled with low, low ranking players worth little honor points.

I have a level 48 warlock that is almost straight destruction spec, have two points in improved corruption and do well in BG. The trick is not to get caught alone and have the right pet up. My SB hits for over 400 with curse of shadow and conflagrate hits in the 700s without any other debuffs active. And soul fire with curse of elements crits in the 1400 range. Warlocks can be deadly as long as any melee guys are kept off them. In melee we are a free kill.

i guess i can sign back up and try my warlock if i dont like then im doing rouge or druid

Back