WoW - AH rant

Zoramac

Limp Gawd
This is just a rant about the ah in wow, three times over the weekend people pulled thier auctions on stuff i was bidding on when the time got down to short. One of those times i saw it reposted again by the same seller almost immediatly. Some of my guild mates have also said they have seen this happen as well. Is this a common occurance on every server? Im thinking bliz should do something like make a penalty for anyone who does by having to pay twice the highest bid ammount to the ah or something along those lines to be able to pull an auction. again this is just a rant because i really wanted that mug-o-hurt :mad:

Zoramac
44 paladin
Dragonblight

Damn, that's greedy and just wrong. If they don't want to sell something for a low price they should just set the minimum higher.
I think Blizzard should just make it so that once someone bids on the item, the seller can't pull the auction.

i've never noticed that happening to me. i like the way the Auction houses work in WoW, but there are always many improvements that can be made.

I've never had a problem with that, but the lag is just awful.

The AH in WoW is just like eBay a lot of the time...

Someone offers an item you really want, for, let's say, 1 gold, and to be safe you overbid to 3 gold. The auction goes on, and not too long before it's supposed to end, whaddaya know, someone trumps your bid. I would not doubt it's the seller on another account. Very frustrating.

No, that's not the case. That's what he's ranting about.

You don't need to bid from another account. You just cancel the auction and lose the small deposit you paid to put it up for auction. This can be done regardless of the status of the auction.

GhostDog said:
No, that's not the case. That's what he's ranting about.

You don't need to bid from another account. You just cancel the auction and lose the small deposit you paid to put it up for auction. This can be done regardless of the status of the auction.
I understood his point, mine was just a variation on a theme.

I wish they would make the AH similar to Final Fantasy XI, where you put an item up for auction and stated the MINIMUM you would sell it for. The item goes into the listing with all the other items and shows what the last 10 or so people have paid for the same item. The item would stay listed for about a week or until someone bought it. It was basically a secret bid style system.

When bidding on items you can look at the price the item has recently sold for and bid that, or try a lower bid to see if someone is selling the item for less.

It was so much easier and faster. There was none of this last minute outbid crap. I've been burned on getting outbid in the last few minutes of an auction on WoW so many times it's ridiculous. It's just not feasible for me to stay up until 3am to see an auction through to the end. Blizzard claims to support the "casual" gamer, but the current AH is definately NOT geared towards the casual gamer.

Changing the AH to a secret bid style auction would also alleviate the AH camping and swarms of people sitting there watching their auctions, and associated lag.

I completely agree with you Astral Abyss. I absolutely loved FFXI's Auction House system.

There is a huge problem on my server (Mannorath), where this gnome will constantly buyout all the 50+ level plate items, and then sell them back on the AH for 2x as much. Unfortunately, it's legal and extremely intelligent, but it seems unethical.

There should be a system in place to prevent this, and maybe a FFXI style AH would help eleviate some of this. However, the odds of the AH getting completely revamped is slim to none.

its all the high pop servers that have these problems. Nethrazim doesn't get this at all

You pay a deposit to place items on the AH, if you pull it off you lose your deposit.

I got your solution for you.. .. .. .. stop bidding on items. Only use buyouts... you haven't learned this yet ?

don't really see the issue, there is already a rather large deposit to place an item on AH, and if you cancel the item you lose both the deposit and have to pay an additional fee.

theNoid said:
You pay a deposit to place items on the AH, if you pull it off you lose your deposit.

I got your solution for you.. .. .. .. stop bidding on items. Only use buyouts... you haven't learned this yet ?
OMG you're a genius! Why didn't I think of this sooner? :rolleyes:

No one sets reasonable buyout prices on the better items and recipes because they don't have any compelling reason to do so.

theNoid said:

First off, the deposit is nothing, >10% or so of the starting price - big whoop. (now if they made a penalty for pulling an auction 1.5 - 2X the highest bid, that would make people think twice about doing it)

2nd, not everyone sets a buyout price, (and half the time when they do they are well out of touch with reality.)

tell you what, you tell me what items you are looking for and i will auction them, with a buyout price set just for you :eek: :

It seems that the deposit amount is determined only by the starting price. It would be better if the buyout would have an impact on the deposit amount also. That would stop the people putting things up with a 1copper starting bid and 10gold buyout and then yanking it from the auction house because they don't have any high bids on it. It would also stop people from putting outrageously high buyout prices on items. Also this would hinder the people that try to scam people out of tons of money by putting a series of bulk items at 10silver and throwing a couple 10gold buyouts in the middle.

Luckily, I haven't seen too much unscrupulous stuff going on in the AHs on the servers I am on. But, I have seen it enough to be wary.

Back