WoW; 4th expansion Mists of Pandaria

I started a DK tank then went to Monk. Love my monk for tanking. He's pretty well geared, 548, mainly because I haven't gotten shit luck with trinket drops in normal SoO. Also have a paladin and druid. No warrior though.

Going back to my DK recently just to get him geared up to handle LFR/Flex so I can start soloing stuff like ICC on my own for fun.

What I feel.....Monk > Pally > War >= Druid/DK

100% Stagger is roflmao

I'd have to rate probably Warrior > DK > Monk > Druid > Pally as far as the "fun factor" goes. I don't really place a lot of emphasis on FOTM because I'm never tanking progression, so it's mostly just what's fun.

I've never really enjoyed paladin tanking for some reason. I'll tank on my druid periodically if I have to (mainly for faster queue times). My monk is only level 71, and I tanked a ton at lower levels, but after ~55 or so I switched over to mainly healing and changed my offspec to WW. My DK hasn't tanked since WotLK, but I do remember enjoying it quite a bit.

I love Monk Tanking. It's just so much more dynamic than say...DK tanking which I find horribly boring.

DK tanking is like....big hit coming? Queue up DS to react. Dieases up? Good. Spam Blood Strike

The skill gap between good monks and bad monks is huge and very easy to see. The stagger mechanic is fascinating, even more so when you get your 4PC because then when you decide to purify makes a huge deal. Also the fact that you have Jab all the time is a nice thing so you're not sitting around sometimes like my DK because you don't want to "waste" runes. A Monk always has something to cast every GCD.

Sorry for the late reply, but thanks to everyone for the detailed advice. I'm going to take a closer look at Timeless Isle and its chests today.

I am concentrating more on my Tankadin the past week. But dang, I got some good loot this weekend, just casually playing my DK a bit.

i536 Two handed sword in SoO
http://www.wowhead.com/item=104981

i553 Hands in Timeless Isle, got so lucky, joined a group as I walked into the Isle, and they killed the elite rare as I just got close enough for one attack move, and Scwhing this loot dropped for me :)
http://www.wowhead.com/item=99189/

For my character those were pretty sweet upgrades.

Last edited:
Did the Timeless Isle grind on my feral druid from level 88 to 90 in ~3.5 hours on Friday. Had a bunch of leather isle tokens in the bank, used them all for resto spec, changed my off-spec to boomkin.

Queued LFR and worked my way through 1 MSV, both HoF, Terrace, and the first ToT. Between those and a few heroics, I'm up to ilvl 493. Unfortunately, about half my gear is still the sub-optimal 496 isle gear, but it's good enough to probably get me through the rest of ToT.

Also did the final SoO LFR for the first time on my paladin. Got my 528 tier shoulders (to finally replace the 476 pvp ones) and bought the 522 VP bracers to replace those 476 ones. Was on the Isle of Thunder to look at JP purchases and decided to join up for the world boss there, who dropped the 522 pants. Up to ilvl 510 now. Woohoo!

Lastly, did a couple mount runs on Sunday morning. No luck in Kara or TK or Setthek on two characters, BUT I did get the white hawkstrider from heroic MgT. Protip: Don't ride that mount as a boomkin :D

My sub is coming up I think at the end of this week ... I've been having a lot of fun, but I think I really just like getting new gear. I played new alts for most of yesterday, got a warlock to level 21, a warrior to 10, went 26->31 on my mage, and 71->72 on my monk. You know what that tells me? I'm bored with the game again, because that's what I do when I'm bored. So we'll see, I'm guessing I"ll stay subbed another month, but who knows.

Pulled my Warrior over to Kilrogg yesterday, and decided to build a tank set from TI. I've got a full set of 496 gear now, including shield. Still using a blue 1h, and some trinkets. I'd love to learn to tank, but don't want to waste people's time while learning. Perhaps I should build a baby tank and learn in some of the lower levels or something. Kinda lost in that respect.

Pulled my Warrior over to Kilrogg yesterday, and decided to build a tank set from TI. I've got a full set of 496 gear now, including shield. Still using a blue 1h, and some trinkets. I'd love to learn to tank, but don't want to waste people's time while learning. Perhaps I should build a baby tank and learn in some of the lower levels or something. Kinda lost in that respect.

How did you get that i496 Shield from TI ? My Tankadin just DING'd 90 about 10 days ago, he's i505 average now, but the two items I can't find for the life of me, is a good 1 hander and Shield. I am still stuck with i450 blues in those slots, rest of my gear is a mix of i528 and i516, with a few i496.

I run Heroic Scenarios daily, and LFR SoO weekly, and I NEVER got the 1 Hand or Shield drops :(

I also looted all the little treasure chests in TI, per the map from wowhead, and never got a shield or 1 hand sword.

How did you get that i496 Shield from TI ? My Tankadin just DING'd 90 about 10 days ago, he's i505 average now, but the two items I can't find for the life of me, is a good 1 hander and Shield. I am still stuck with i450 blues in those slots, rest of my gear is a mix of i528 and i516, with a few i496.

I run Heroic Scenarios daily, and LFR SoO weekly, and I NEVER got the 1 Hand or Shield drops :(

I also looted all the little treasure chests in TI, per the map from wowhead, and never got a shield or 1 hand sword.

The coin vendor next to Shao Hao sells a shield for 10K coins. i476, my apologies.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=105919

FYI Patch 5.4.2 coming today. Adds a new Raid Browser (similar to OQ) but believe it only works for SoO Flex and world Bosses currently.

Also adds (effin finally) the ability to mail Heirloom items cross-realm. Done by adding the character's name, hyphen (-) then the realm name. Can only be used for account-bound items. Still can't send gold or regular items.

Includes some other bug fixes.

Had one of the best games of capture-the-flag I've ever played in WoW last night. It was Twin Peaks, most of my team (horde) were in mediocre gear (400-420k hp) and we had only a monk healer. The alliance side had two well-geared disc priests (480-500k hp) and a blood DK (650k+) for flag carrier.

We both picked up the flags almost immediately, 10 minutes later, our monk finally gets killed and alliance scores. I was almost to the alliance base and was stealthing in, 6-7 teammates were in there fighting 5-6 alliance. Flag respawned, I grabbed it and ran out. Gouged one guy, used blind on another. Sprint --> Prep --> Sprint. Get across the river and I see "The horde flag has been picked up by <name>." Crap.

Takes 3-4 minutes, but because there were so many horde in the alliance base, they started attacking right away. I saw EFC's HP drop to 25% or so, so I jumped down to the main level and stood on the flag. The horde flag has been dropped! Then "The horde flag has been picked up by <name2>" BAH! 30 seconds or so later, that guy died and I scored.

1-1 tie, 7 minutes remaining. Our hunter picks up flag, starts running across. Alliance blood DK with BOTH disc priests picks up the horde flag, away they go. 6 minutes remaining. Hunter gets flag to base, it's him, me, and a mistweaver monk. 3 alliance are coming at a time -- elem shaman, warrior, and undergeared dk. Clear them out once, then twice. 2 minutes remaining. SIX alliance come this time. We have one extra horde with us. They're split on the monk and hunter, I'm doing what I can CC-wise to keep them off the monk. Hunter's HP dips below 50%, below 30%. I shadowstep behind him. He dies and the flag is dropped right next to 2 alliance. I pick it up, cloak of shadows, sprint. Warrior pops his fear (probably coincidence), but cloak saves the day! I run OUT of our base with the flag, there was way too many alliance in there. Hit prep again to reset sprint / evasion. Run to the farthest corner from our base, a couple alliance exit the building, mount up and are coming at me. Hit sprint again and turn to start running back toward the middle of the field. Time expires. Horde win. HUZZAH!

So ... with that, and a couple other BGs last night, as well as converting 1500 JPs to Honor, I have enough honor earned on the season for a 496 dagger, so I'll be buying that tonight to upgrade my 463 OH and move my 483 Sha-touched dagger to my OH until I get a 2nd tyrannical dagger. Hopefully all that pvp power is noticeable.

Changed my mog gear on my Tankadin;

78041656-profilemain1216_zps1819646a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Transferred my rogue to Illidan-horde a month or so ago, and I may be changing servers again, though I'd be rerolling this time because I'm not paying more transfer fees. Guy on Reddit mentioned joining a Reddit guild on Zul'jin-horde, and since I don't really have any reason to be on Illidan ... why not? I think Zul'jin is pretty high-pop still, so that will be good for the gold making opportunities. Might give it a go.

Also, nerf warlocks kthx. Did a heroic last night on my rogue, couldn't even get two finishers off on a boss in a heroic before it was dead. Crazy!

Still no luck getting celestial drops on my paladin, but did get a grievous belt on my rogue. It's like the game knows that was my next upgrade (replacing 489), it's happened twice now (last time was 553 tier gloves replacing 483).

Ended up getting an invite to the guild on Zul'jin, but only played the first night so far. Haven't rolled a UD character since pre-Cata, it's been kinda fun...especially to have people around.

What do people do for gold farming? I transferred 40k off my old server (Dark Iron) to Illidan when I moved my rogue. That's down to ~27k just from buying gems/enchants/etc on gear upgrades over the last 6 weeks. I've been playing a little on Dark Iron again now that it's been merged a few times, but I have 1k / toon on my 10 alts, and only ~3k on my mage.

So ... short of questing on all my guys to get tillers exalted and flood the golden lotus market, what is one to do? Or is that my best option?

Professions and using the AH.

I don't know how anyone would get to gold cap otherwise, as a dude in our guild had done last year after showing us the tricks =p

Professions and using the AH.

I don't know how anyone would get to gold cap otherwise, as a dude in our guild had done last year after showing us the tricks =p

I have all profs except inscription on Dark Iron, but the AH is so inactive that I have a hard time making money with any of them (belt buckles, weapon chains, enchants, etc), and my living steel transmute is being used ATM because I want a sky golem. On Illidan, it seems to go in cycles, so I load up on living steel on Tuesdays for ~380g / ea and list belt buckles / weapon chains on Fri/Sat for 460-480g. That's still only roughly 40-50g / item. after fees, if that, and I don't have the time / dedication to sit and undercut all day. I'm usually bringing down ~800g / day here from one Tillers farm, selling leather from the Timeless Isle 20-elite daily, and a random heroic or two.

I think for WoD I'm going to level all my gatherers first and cash in on the new mats. I did that for MoP and it worked well, then I bought the 120k mount :rolleyes:

I had a good mog gear month, the last few weeks. I am a uber nerd for cool red themed one hand weapons. Plus I got lucky, getting these drops on my first few runs typically, not having to run them over and over for weeks or months.

Which weapon goes best with my fav Shield ?
Icecrown Glacial Wall; My favorite Shield for my Tankadin.
http://www.wowhead.com/item=50065/icecrown-glacial-wall

1 Hand swords

The Sun Eater; Got it on my second mog run
http://www.wowhead.com/item=29362/the-sun-eater

Souldrinker; Got it on my second mog run
http://www.wowhead.com/item=77193

Bloodvenom Blade; Got this on my first Heroic mog run yesterday, and this has become my new favorite sword. Looks awesome with the red design, and has a smoking soul looking theme, surrounding the blade, a great looking sword.
http://www.wowhead.com/item=50672/bloodvenom-blade

Bloodsurge[/B; from the Lich King, got on my 1st mog run with him
http://www.wowhead.com/item=50427

Too bad this picture doesn't show the cool smoke mist look around the blade of the sword, that looks awesome;

Last edited:
I'd have to rate probably Warrior > DK > Monk > Druid > Pally as far as the "fun factor" goes. I don't really place a lot of emphasis on FOTM because I'm never tanking progression, so it's mostly just what's fun.

Tankadin was easily the most fun back when +Spell Power was their aggro generation stat. When Blizz changed the itemization in WotLK I completely lost interest.

bought the wow winter pack , second time coming back to the game, farming here i come.

Farming isn't really part of the game anymore its so casual. You just kind of show up, go afk watching youtube videos or something fun, come back after 10 minutes of lying dead in (be sure to move your mouse every four minutes so you don't go afk) and gear appears in your inventory. Do that, till you have a good iLVL (no time at all and gear is equivalent to previous tier's HEROIC gear) and then rinse/repeat in flex then get recruited to a guild to do normals/heroics. Depending how on farm they are, you can probably get away with producing 30% the dps of the top dpsers and still down bosses with ease. If you don't even make it to heroics -- who cares? Next raid's LFR gear if its like the last 2 raids will be better than the Heroic gear your missing out on.

I used to love wow in WOTLK, CATA and especially BC where there was some progression needed to do new content. You beat the tier 1 dungeons, you can do tier 2. Beat tier 2 dungeons, you can do the easy-raid. Beat the easy raid, you can do the moderate raid, etc. MoP seems like the rat-race wheel was greased up and a few goblin jet engine attached to the point heroic gear becomes less than new LFR gear on patch-day.

Last edited:
FYI Patch 5.4.2 coming today. Adds a new Raid Browser (similar to OQ) but believe it only works for SoO Flex and world Bosses currently.

Also adds (effin finally) the ability to mail Heirloom items cross-realm. Done by adding the character's name, hyphen (-) then the realm name. Can only be used for account-bound items. Still can't send gold or regular items.

Includes some other bug fixes.

That's good news. 2 steps closer to getting rid of 'servers' all together for one real 'world/universe' of Warcraft.

@ Zorachus

Your Tankadin looks very nice. Your gear is looking awesome and very detailed.

===

Haven't posted here in awhile. I'm still playing but I hadn't been able to decide which direction I wanted to go with this game. (You guys gave me some fantastic tips and advice, but I initially had some trouble focusing on something)

For a few weeks I farmed Slabhide/Altarius for a dragon mount, eventually burned out on it and moved on. Stayed awhile on Timeless Isle (used Scuttler Shell to open remaining chests) and eventually decided to play through the Burning Crusade dungeons to see how they looked like.

To my surprise Kael'thas in Magister's Terrace dropped a Phoenix Hatchling on my first run and a Swift Hawkstrider on my second run a day later.

After looking at other possible mounts online I wanted to go after a Raven Lord, and went into Sethekk Halls almost a week ago, didn't expect anything but the boss dropped Reigns of the Raven Lord.

It just feels I've hit my stride a bit. Thanks to the Phoenix Hatchling I'm now leveling up a team of battle pets (feels like Pokemon). I became exalted this morning with the Order of the Cloud Serpent and received an Azure Cloud Serpent. Now looking around a bit to look what I could do next.

Next I'll probably go to Timeless Isle again and checking out dailies and Shado-Pan.

Last edited:
For some reason I woke up with a feeling this morning to try Stonecore again. I went for one more run before I had to leave. The mount dropped on my 85th try in three weeks.

Only ground mount I'd really like to get, is the Kara mount, the black unicorn horse, with green glowing hooves. But I have heard that drop rate is like one in a million. Anyways, which boss does the mount drop off in there ? I might try solo that with my Tankadin.

Only ground mount I'd really like to get, is the Kara mount, the black unicorn horse, with green glowing hooves. But I have heard that drop rate is like one in a million. Anyways, which boss does the mount drop off in there ? I might try solo that with my Tankadin.

The very first one. You can solo farm it with pretty much any class.

grats, i remember farming that dungeon years ago to no avail.

Thanks. Yeah, it does seem to come down to RNG. Until burning out on it a little while ago I did around 5 runs which was around 25 minutes each day.

Some people seem to get those RNG type of mounts during their first attempts, while others unfortunately need hundreds of tries.

It's from the first boss (Attumen the Huntsman) From what I've seen at WoWhead, the droprate is estimated at around 0.8. The only problem is that it can only be done once in a week. (Unless you have multiple characters)

EDIT: ashmelev75 beat me to it.

Thanks, Zorachus. :) I guess I just got lucky, hopefully everyone who wants this mount get one soon as well.

===

I've been slowly upgrading my gear, but I still haven't been able to get a better weapon for my DK. Is there a way you can earn or farm for a better weapon somewhere?

Thanks, Zorachus. :) I guess I just got lucky, hopefully everyone who wants this mount get one soon as well.

===

I've been slowly upgrading my gear, but I still haven't been able to get a better weapon for my DK. Is there a way you can earn or farm for a better weapon somewhere?

Very lucky! Took me a month with an average of 7 kills a day to get that mount. :)

You can get a weapon from the vendor on timeless isle for 20k coins. There are others in raids of course but the one you can buy is a decent upgrade if you don't raid much.

===

Good weapon upgrades, are hard to come by. In Timeless Isle no weapons drop, and no weapons in treasures there either, which is the best place to get i496 gear, fast and easy, sometimes you'll get the better i553 drops too, but just gear only.

5man Dungeons are a total waste to run for gear, they drop sh!t gear, like blue i460 or some crap.

Heroic Scenarios drop better i516 gear, and I run them daily on both my Paladin and Death Knight, and no character has yet to see a weapon drop, just gear, and that's like 10 weeks straight of running them.

Your best bet is get into the easy Raids, LFR SoO, drops i528 gear and weapons. My DK got a nice 2 Hander, upgraded to i536, I think it does like 7,000 Damage.

But my Paladin is still looking for that weapon drop, rest of my gear is pretty much all i536 and some i561, but my weapon is still a blue i460 :rolleyes: And I run LFR SoO every week, and run all 4 sections, and have been for like 2 months, and the one hander just never drops for me :(

@Seelenlos and Zorachus.

Thank you both for your detailed advice. I'll check out Timeless Isle again for the weapon, and afterwards it seems I really have to give scenarios and raids a try. I've been holding off on them because I was worried I wouldn't be able to contribute much in a group (like being one-shotted) but I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks again. :) And Seelenlos, I'm glad the mount dropped for you in the end as well.

@ Zorachus

Your Tankadin looks very nice. Your gear is looking awesome and very detailed.

===

Haven't posted here in awhile. I'm still playing but I hadn't been able to decide which direction I wanted to go with this game. (You guys gave me some fantastic tips and advice, but I initially had some trouble focusing on something)

For a few weeks I farmed Slabhide/Altarius for a dragon mount, eventually burned out on it and moved on. Stayed awhile on Timeless Isle (used Scuttler Shell to open remaining chests) and eventually decided to play through the Burning Crusade dungeons to see how they looked like.

To my surprise Kael'thas in Magister's Terrace dropped a Phoenix Hatchling on my first run and a Swift Hawkstrider on my second run a day later.

After looking at other possible mounts online I wanted to go after a Raven Lord, and went into Sethekk Halls almost a week ago, didn't expect anything but the boss dropped Reigns of the Raven Lord.

It just feels I've hit my stride a bit. Thanks to the Phoenix Hatchling I'm now leveling up a team of battle pets (feels like Pokemon). I became exalted this morning with the Order of the Cloud Serpent and received an Azure Cloud Serpent. Now looking around a bit to look what I could do next.

Next I'll probably go to Timeless Isle again and checking out dailies and Shado-Pan.

Been playing Wow now off and on for about 3-4 years now. The last 2 expansions I have been farming for many mounts in the game. Kazaran, Raven mount, the Mount Kael drops in the 5 man, Tempest Keep, Barons mount etc.

After all these years. I decided to do my weekly run for Ashes of Alar on Xmas.....and HOLY FUCKING SHIT it dropped.

I cannot count how many times I ran the damn instance to get it to drop....but wow It finally did....

But I agree, what else is there to do other then farm mounts....and pets (to sell).

Last edited:
Back