WoW; 4th expansion Mists of Pandaria

That video sums up my feelings on the game as it sits.

Edit: My fondest memories of WoW are actually from raids. I remember multiple 1% wipes on Huhuran in classic. I remember hours of wipes against Maghteridon and Gruul in TBC. Those were fun. Now it seems you just sign in, and get epics. My friends used to joke that blizzard should just send the epics to your mailbox once every week, just to save you some time. It's not like the current content is difficult.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6572970580 for all of you who pre-ordered POM , here is how you start your expansion into Pandaria :

So, what happens at midnight for those of us with Mists ready to go?

A yellow System Message will appear in your Chat Log telling you to visit Orgrimmar or Stormwind to start your travels.

Level-85 characters will receive a new quest, no matter where they are in the world, which will guide them to Varian or Garrosh for further orders.

If you’re online at midnight you will receive the quest even if your Quest Log is full -- or you can visit Varian or Garrosh to get started on your journey to Pandaria.

Level-85 players will notice their experience bars automatically change so that experience can once again be earned.

Players who are at the Character Creation screen at midnight will notice the button to create a pandaren character will be enabled. (Reminder: This also applies to players who don’t have a Mists of Pandaria license, as all races are now included with a base copy of World of Warcraft.)

Players who are at the Character Creation screen at midnight will notice the button to create a monk character will be enabled.

So the fun begins at 12am PST 3am EST. Happy questing!

Good luck, have fun to everyone that's playing. If you're still playing after 8 years, god speed, you must see something I (and a lot of other hardcore-since-vanilla users) do not see anymore.

Although, not as an insult, but more an aside, most of my friends who do play this still are the same people that continue to play Diablo 3, regardless of how utter garbage it is. :rolleyes:

Played a little this morning before work (by a little, I mean 30 mins or so) -- really liking the short little cutscenes they have....for now. I'll feel differently if they can't effectively be skipped like some in Uldum. I always watch them the first time through. it's leveling the other 10 characters that I want to skip them on....

I don't agree entirely with the guy but he has points. I still like that they evolved it to be a bit more casual and I hated the fact that the only players that saw any of the end game content had to burn out 8 hours a day 5 days a week to get even scratch the surface. But I still hate the direction the game is taking.

To me that's what a made a MMORPG worth playing. I was never one of those players that played 8 hours a day, but just the fact that there was always something in the game, that in my eyes looked like I could never achieve... but just maybe I could somehow figure out something get there, made it worth playing. When the challenge was removed, I lost interest in this genre completely.

To me that's what a made a MMORPG worth playing. I was never one of those players that played 8 hours a day, but just the fact that there was always something in the game, that in my eyes looked like I could never achieve... but just maybe I could somehow figure out something get there, made it worth playing. When the challenge was removed, I lost interest in this genre completely.
The same deal with me. I was never hardcore and was unable to score the very nicest gear in any of the MMORPGs I've played. I still liked seeing that gear on other players, though, and like you I thought one day I might have the time and/or inclination to score a piece or two. It turns out I never did, but that was fine.

I tried to play it this morning, but Blizzard apparently only rarely does learn from their own mistakes. Lots of quests had choke points where you had to literally spend 10 minutes waiting for a response to the quest click... Well, while I waited the server went down, so I switched to a different char and did ~50 pet battles instead. By the time I was done I was able to proceed with my main char.

Well, good thing that most of the named quest NPCs you need to kill are shared, so you don't actually need to group or tag to get the kill or loot the item for the quest.

Well, overall, comparing to previous expansion, this was a bit better than the MADNESS of TBC or WotLK launches.

Good luck, have fun to everyone that's playing. If you're still playing after 8 years, god speed, you must see something I (and a lot of other hardcore-since-vanilla users) do not see anymore.

Although, not as an insult, but more an aside, most of my friends who do play this still are the same people that continue to play Diablo 3, regardless of how utter garbage it is. :rolleyes:

Diablo has a rapid fan base , not really sure how that connects to people who play WoW but ok.

I won't say the expansion will suddenly enlighten you to some kind of new "thing" going on in WoW but so far its a step in the right direction. I think the biggest issue people have is with the Panda's themselves. Lots of people can't seem to get past the whole "Kung Fu" panda comparison even though the lore for Panda's was before the movie was even known to be in production.

If all you focus on is the Panda race and that's your drum to beat on how the game is continuing its quest in the "wrong" direction then honestly I don't think anyone is going to be able to convince you otherwise. I've enjoyed the time I've invested into the game so far and the monk class is very "different" which is awesome.

I personally think LoL has some of the fluffiest , cutest characters in gaming but people act like individual characters themselves are huge bad asses that walk around destroying worlds. Looks are looks.

I won't say the expansion will suddenly enlighten you to some kind of new "thing" going on in WoW but so far its a step in the right direction. I think the biggest issue people have is with the Panda's themselves. Lots of people can't seem to get past the whole "Kung Fu" panda comparison even though the lore for Panda's was before the movie was even known to be in production.

If all you focus on is the Panda race and that's your drum to beat on how the game is continuing its quest in the "wrong" direction then honestly I don't think anyone is going to be able to convince you otherwise. I've enjoyed the time I've invested into the game so far and the monk class is very "different" which is awesome.

I wasn't too fond of the Panda thing when I first heard about it, but actually in-game I don't care that much. Seeing the environments and such, the mounts, etc - it's kind of cool. I think I'm gonna get my rogue leveled up first (and pvp geared, since CRZ's on a pvp server suck for leveling) before I play my monk too much, but I'm definitely looking forward to playing something a bit different. Everyone I've talked to says they've really enjoyed the class mechanics of them.

Wish i had time for the scheduled time-sink that is WoW. If i went back to part time, would be all over it.

Part of my disappointment in this expansion is the pandas, I'll admit. Part of it is how Blizzard hyped up what I feel are pointless additions, like the pet battles and Tillers faction. Another part of it is making things easy by default. Not every game is meant to be beaten by every person who plays it.

The main thing, though, is that there really isn't any main third party threat in this one to drive the story to its inevitable end. Here we are, having killed Illidan Stormrage, sent Kil'jaeden back to the Twisting Nether, defeated Arthas, destroyed Deathwing... and now what? Garrosh Hellscream? Yeah, his dad was cool, and he's a bit of a dick, but is he really the biggest threat to Azeroth this time around? Just not feeling it.

Last edited:
Part of my disappointment in this expansion is the pandas, I'll admit. Part of it is how Blizzard hyped up what I feel are pointless additions, like the pet battles and Tillers faction. Another part of it is making things easy by default. Not every game is meant to be beaten by every person who plays it.

The main thing, though, is that there really isn't any main third party threat in this one to drive the story to its inevitable end. Here we are, having killed Illidan Stormrage, sent Kil'jaeden back to the Twisting Nether, defeated Arthas, destroyed Deathwing... and now what? Garrosh Hellscream? Yeah, his dad was cool, and he's a bit of a dick, but is he really the biggest threat to Azeroth this time around? Just not feeling it.

But do we really need another calamity like with Cata , Wotlk , TBC? We've had 3 expansions all pretty much about the destruction or invasion force of some kind.

Its great to get one that isn't all "doom" and "gloom" and focuses more on a different kind of world and setting. I'm really sick of the "this NPC wants to end Azeroth , your task is to fight up to him and kill him" mechanic that has drive the last 3 expansions. Its finally great to take a break from that and just enjoy other parts of the game that aren't driven by "end of the world" story lines.

I'm not hung up on Pandas or the Lore (I like the Lore, but the fine tooth comb thing doesn't get to me) I like the visuals and the layout of the continent so far. Can't see how the heck anyone got to 90 already yet there they are, lol. Anyway, I am enjoying myself immensely thus far on my elemental sham, hit 86, and am looking to cross over to the next zone in a few minutes..;.

But do we really need another calamity like with Cata , Wotlk , TBC? We've had 3 expansions all pretty much about the destruction or invasion force of some kind.

Its great to get one that isn't all "doom" and "gloom" and focuses more on a different kind of world and setting. I'm really sick of the "this NPC wants to end Azeroth , your task is to fight up to him and kill him" mechanic that has drive the last 3 expansions. Its finally great to take a break from that and just enjoy other parts of the game that aren't driven by "end of the world" story lines.

I quit wow years ago, but I am curious as to what you would suggest for content. WoW is kind of a ..... doom and gloom end of Azeroth MMO universe. It needs the element of impending doom. Otherwise they might as well turn WoW into Second Life.

The focus shifted from "omg another end of the world" to war between the factions. I think it's good that it's getting back to the roots of alliance vs horde. The world has gone from the hardened war time in the rts games to squishy carebear adventures where the factions weren't even really against each other. There's no super evil force hell bent on destroying the world this expansion. It's just the asshole alliance versus the dickhead horde with the peaceful land of pandaria for both factions to trash.

Every iteration of Warcraft has been about some impending doom, but its always been big time jumps too. We get little lore to fill us in from what happened in between but the Warcraft world wasn't very stable. I think it gets this from the original intent of being Warhammer, where in their world EVERYTHING seems corrupted or somewhat impossible.

I think with WoW since they can't do time jumps its a good thing they decided to stop the impending doom. But the boss in this expantion is very lame, my only dissapointment from a story standpoint. Worse then bringing back Deathwing for a 3rd time.

They need to either keep it Burning Legion or Old Gods oriented. They don't have to bring in impending doom to it, they could do like in Vanilla with pre-emptive efforts!

Oh and stop letting us "win" against old gods, Titans couldn't win against them not sure how a handful of no-bodies can win against them.

Diablo has a rapid fan base , not really sure how that connects to people who play WoW but ok.

I personally think LoL has some of the fluffiest , cutest characters in gaming but people act like individual characters themselves are huge bad asses that walk around destroying worlds. Looks are looks.

It's really simple. The way I see it, most of the people that enjoy Diablo 3 (STILL...), are probably going to like playing the same game (WoW) over and over again. Again, that's just the way it seems to me, with the hundreds of people I know in real life that play it, this is definitely the case. Of course, a small sample size, considering how many people have vested time in both games, but I think it's relevant.

Now I've got nothing against Blizzards games, I've played every single one since my diaper days, but I think if it boils down to not playing the next content pack (Mists) being due to the Pandaren race, that's just damn ridiculous. They've been part of lore forever, and they've always been "Kung-Fu Panda", before Kung-Fu Panda was himself (Christ that makes no sense). It fits well into the Warcraft lore, and if it doesn't, go back and play the RTS games and look deeper.

The only way I'd consider playing WoW again is if a considerable amount of people I played with were interested in doing some casual shit, but that doesn't look like it'll happen (but who knows...). We can all agree that the game took a backwards step since TBC, and I think that's why a lot of people are sour, they want to experience the stuff that made the game for what it was. Change is fine, but too much change isn't.

In terms of questing/environment, this is by far the best expansion IMO. Amazing scenery and lots of voiceovers on the quests. We will see if challenge modes/endgame holds up

Not for me, I like being able to take part in end game content. I used to play Anarchy Online, that game wasn't so much about gear/money/time as it was about skill. If you played really well then people would take you on raids. WOW is all about numbers which pissed me off. Then they divided PvP and PvE players with resistance gear which really ticked me off because now I had to choose one over to other due to time constraints so I stopped playing.

I wouldn't mind trying out the new content, but no way would I pay $15 for the sub and another $40 for the expansion just to play for a week or 2. The game changes leading up to and beyond Cataclysm made leaving WoW easy. Although I actually liked leveling 80-85 quite well, just the subsequent raids and changes killed the game...

Not for me, I like being able to take part in end game content. I used to play Anarchy Online, that game wasn't so much about gear/money/time as it was about skill. If you played really well then people would take you on raids. WOW is all about numbers which pissed me off. Then they divided PvP and PvE players with resistance gear which really ticked me off because now I had to choose one over to other due to time constraints so I stopped playing.

Can you expand on this?
If you dont have time or money or time to invest in gear.... why bother playing a subscription based MMO? I think Guild wars 2 is perfect for you, everyone gets a trophy.

And people that insist how LOLeasy wow is, please link your armory just to confirm you're not trolling.

I keep hearing about how WoW is now more "casual-friendly". What's changed in that matter since Cataclysm?

There's a huge part of the game I never wanted to partake in (raiding) due to how long it took, and how you had to depend on 39 other people (or I guess it's 25 now). It's much more fun for me to depend on 5 or 10 of my real life friends, who I know are competent, and that's why I only ever did regular and heroic dungeons.

Can you expand on this?
If you dont have time or money or time to invest in gear.... why bother playing a subscription based MMO? I think Guild wars 2 is perfect for you, everyone gets a trophy.

And people that insist how LOLeasy wow is, please link your armory just to confirm you're not trolling.

Who gives a fuck what his armory says. All the challenge left the game when WOTLK was released. The game died after TBC. Speaking of everyone getting a badge...They casualized raiding so that all the bad kids with downs could get in.

...And these past few comments remind me of how bad the WoW community is. :rolleyes: Maybe it's for the better that I stay away.

...And these past few comments remind me of how bad the WoW community is. :rolleyes: Maybe it's for the better that I stay away.

Another good point...no arguing with that. I've never played a game for as long as I did WoW, consistently that is (until this year), where the community was filled with people that I wanted to firebomb into ash. It's that bad. :eek:

I wouldn't mind trying out the new content, but no way would I pay $15 for the sub and another $40 for the expansion just to play for a week or 2. The game changes leading up to and beyond Cataclysm made leaving WoW easy. Although I actually liked leveling 80-85 quite well, just the subsequent raids and changes killed the game...

Before I go off on my rant , this isn't directly pointed at you hdawg06.

Well lets think about this for a minute. For $40 , you get months of content (there are 2 more raids being released and 1 more PVP BG coming in the next 4+ months) plus what's already there in the expansion which I don't care how "easy" you think WoW is , unless you are in one of the top 10 guilds in the world you won't be "blowing" through heroic raiding content and you won't be "winning" Arena's easily this time around with healing monks being so massively OP. You also get a new class to play with and a new race. So basically hundreds of hours of play value there.

So that's just covering the expansion and its play value. For $15 a month you get content patch releases which can be dungeons , raids and BG's. And I don't know about you but when I'm playing WoW I don't tend to play lots of other games so spending $15 a month can easily save me money down the road and I'll explain why.

Right now there are a ton of great new games coming out , but if I just play WoW (and there is tons to do) from now until lets say Jan and suddenly get bored with it I'll have the benefit of getting those games that are coming now at a discount more likely than not and during the time I was playing WoW my gameplay hours are filled and I'm not bored. When I played WoW for nearly a year and half straight I had a nightmarish back log but the total cost of that back log was at least 50-75 percent less than it was during its release. So for me I was able to remain interested in one game for so long , pay a small monthly fee and buy one expansion.

I don't really understand why people get so easily "bored" with WoW in general. I understand that Blizzard makes fucking dumb choices when it comes to class balancing and that can turn off a player who loves the class they are into completely and maybe even encourage them to quit because of it. And I'll restate what I said above , if things are so "easy" mode in terms of raiding and as someone else has said in this thread then let's see your armory link and all the heroic high end gear you have. Anyone that thinks the Heroic raiding is so damn easy is more than welcome to show me there completed set of gear and I'll agree with you completely then.

I think WoW gets a lot of flack because its been around for so long and remained so popular. People love to hate it but there is a quality game to be had. Even if you only play the new expansion for a few months , that's more game play you'll get out of an average EA $60 game for the most part. And if you feel WoW is just to expensive with its $15 a month fee and expansions and bring up that "GW2 is free monthly" then why are you in this thread to begin with?

Before I go off on my rant , this isn't directly pointed at you hdawg06.

Well lets think about this for a minute. For $40 , you get months of content (there are 2 more raids being released and 1 more PVP BG coming in the next 4+ months) plus what's already there in the expansion which I don't care how "easy" you think WoW is , unless you are in one of the top 10 guilds in the world you won't be "blowing" through heroic raiding content and you won't be "winning" Arena's easily this time around with healing monks being so massively OP. You also get a new class to play with and a new race. So basically hundreds of hours of play value there.

So that's just covering the expansion and its play value. For $15 a month you get content patch releases which can be dungeons , raids and BG's. And I don't know about you but when I'm playing WoW I don't tend to play lots of other games so spending $15 a month can easily save me money down the road and I'll explain why.

Right now there are a ton of great new games coming out , but if I just play WoW (and there is tons to do) from now until lets say Jan and suddenly get bored with it I'll have the benefit of getting those games that are coming now at a discount more likely than not and during the time I was playing WoW my gameplay hours are filled and I'm not bored. When I played WoW for nearly a year and half straight I had a nightmarish back log but the total cost of that back log was at least 50-75 percent less than it was during its release. So for me I was able to remain interested in one game for so long , pay a small monthly fee and buy one expansion.

I don't really understand why people get so easily "bored" with WoW in general. I understand that Blizzard makes fucking dumb choices when it comes to class balancing and that can turn off a player who loves the class they are into completely and maybe even encourage them to quit because of it. And I'll restate what I said above , if things are so "easy" mode in terms of raiding and as someone else has said in this thread then let's see your armory link and all the heroic high end gear you have. Anyone that thinks the Heroic raiding is so damn easy is more than welcome to show me there completed set of gear and I'll agree with you completely then.

I think WoW gets a lot of flack because its been around for so long and remained so popular. People love to hate it but there is a quality game to be had. Even if you only play the new expansion for a few months , that's more game play you'll get out of an average EA $60 game for the most part. And if you feel WoW is just to expensive with its $15 a month fee and expansions and bring up that "GW2 is free monthly" then why are you in this thread to begin with?

Good points. But, I think the reason for people getting so bored is that they've just tired of the game and doing the same thing for so long. I know I have. I've been playing since before it was on shelves, and while it was fun for a year or two, something else kept you playing, but it sure as hell wasn't because the game was fun anymore. I think a lot of people can agree that people stay because their friends stay, but that's not forever and a day. Things have to end at some point. I'm not sure WoW is an "easy" game, per se, but it's definitely not the hardest, by any means. I'd also agree to the reason it gets so much flack is exactly because it's been out for so long, but unless you've played for as long as myself and a lot of others, I don't think it's quite justified.

At least for me, Vanilla was not easy. I died plenty, plus the aspect of open world PVP, there was always a challenge to be had.

I wish they would return to the idea of epic quests... working on and completing my hunter epic quest was one of the most rewarding and fun experiences, and I know i'll never experience anything like that again... which makes me a sad panda (pun intended)

I don't care what people say, if the game is fun I'll most likely play it. WoW is fun so I play it.

You might as well give up gaming in general (at least with other people) then because if you think the WoW forums are bad , you haven't even looked at the LoL or HoN forums have you? I could name a dozen forums that are equally if not worse.

People who can't help but barf bullshit from their mouths will always want a soundboard , nature of the beast.

You might as well give up gaming in general (at least with other people) then because if you think the WoW forums are bad , you haven't even looked at the LoL or HoN forums have you? I could name a dozen forums that are equally if not worse.

People who can't help but barf bullshit from their mouths will always want a soundboard , nature of the beast.

True, but there's just no community like the WoW one. The amount of elitism that has been backed up for the past 8 years is ALARMING. Place needs to be purged, immediately. Frankly, from what I've seen, the game turns normal people into idiots, and idiots into zombies.

PC Gamer is doing a nice review of MoP. Read it here.

quests_2.jpg

Will check it out, thanks. Always curious what's up with new expacs. Hopefully it isn't one of those retarded paid reviews (like the rest are obvious).

True, but there's just no community like the WoW one. The amount of elitism that has been backed up for the past 8 years is ALARMING. Place needs to be purged, immediately. Frankly, from what I've seen, the game turns normal people into idiots, and idiots into zombies.

Wow is no where close to being as bad as the LOL community.

Back