WOW.... 1070 faster than Titan X @ $380

Where was this performance ever stated? And you have to be careful because a lot of their slides and the things that they were talking about were referencing performance "In VR"

Where was this performance ever stated? And you have to be careful because a lot of their slides and the things that they were talking about were referencing performance "In VR"

Jen actually said its faster than a titan x. But we will only know for sure when we see the reviews. Hard to believe for sure.

980ti - 5.63 tflops, Titan X - 6.14 tflops, 1070 - 6.5 tflops...

Last edited:
It might be workload dependent.

The 1080 would have a 1.45x higher TFLOP rating then the Titan X but that gaming performance/watt graph did not place it anywhere near that much higher than the Titan X.

Why even buy a 980Ti now? That's some killer pricing. 980Ti owners should be on a firesale.

Why even buy a 980Ti now? That's some killer pricing. 980Ti owners should be on a firesale.

Because everything was made in reference to VR performance and power efficiency. Neither are things a lot of people care about.

Like a guy mentioned in another thread you've gotta stay away from the marketing fluff. :geek:

True. 980Ti's won't move now,and the used market for them...well,price cuts will be a must. Very good performance for the pricing on Pascal. GTX1080 in a few weeks,GTX1070 later. I just bought a Nano open box from a local computer store for 430 Cdn,just days ago. Love the card,but must admit Nv have outdone themselves with Pascal.

How is that possibly "mind blowing"? We should expect nothing less from a 1070 with an all new architecture on a 70% smaller process and with insanely high clock speeds.

I didn't see a single fps counter other than the Paragon demo. I can run that game just fine. I'm waiting for a review before I get excited.

LOL all Titan X owners just died a little inside.

Seriously though, it's their fault for buying such ridiculously priced cards to begin with.

I'll wait for benchmarks and for the first round of hardware bugs to be ironed out but the 1070 sounds great so far.

This is why you don't buy Titans. They are like early access for the x80 Ti.

Seriously though, it's their fault for buying such ridiculously priced cards to begin with.

Some people do see the value in just paying to get early access. It's worth it for them, no fuss.

And I'm sure they're not hurt at all, probably laughing as they have that performance now and the 1070 aint out yet...

Just saying! :)

I was considering a Titan this time around, if it were released first, but looks like it would cost nvidia too much this year, so they're selling those chips to the HPC crowd exclusively this time around.

They enjoyed this level of performance for over a year. You can always save money by waiting.

If you buy new tech at launch and it lasts you for over a year, you got your money's worth. Those Titan X / 980ti will be relevant for a very long time. Then again there is the 700 series longevity fail. :(

All tech gets replaced. In three years spending $400 on a GTX 1070 will look like a giant waste of money as well. People buying Titans can afford them and get to have the best performance on the market until a new card generation launches.

Last edited:
I didn't see a single fps counter other than the Paragon demo. I can run that game just fine. I'm waiting for a review before I get excited.

That though was demoing their R&D character rendering software (beyond what is done or achievable in game) that usually is around 10fps....
Cheers

Eh...not really. Technology moves on, efficiency brought us here. As tech and efficiency progress, you generally get more perf per dollars and watts watts at the same or lower pricing. Just part of the game. Titan X owners had a good run, had amazing performance that they wanted and needed at that time.

Certainly it stings the Titan X and 980 Ti owners no doubt, but I'm sure they'll manage. Part of the upgrade cycle. I'm glad I sold off my SLI and kept a single 970 oc'ed though.

Certainly it stings the Titan X and 980 Ti owners no doubt, but I'm sure they'll manage. Part of the upgrade cycle. I'm glad I sold off my SLI and kept a single 970 oc'ed though.
It did sting, but I sold my 980 Ti before it drops even lower in value and with the upcoming infamous driver gimping. :p I don't want to see it competing with the 390x in a few months.

I've gotten my monies worth out of the Titan X. Whether or not people agree with my purchasing decision is irrelevant to me.

To note, I will be getting the Titan version of Pascal.

Lol I don't think the difference between a Titan X and 980 is quite the same as Lambo vs KIA.

You posted the same emotional projection and crime suggestion about Titan owners back in the day, so much jelly it's amusing. Looking forward to your same posts on TPU.

Last edited:
Lol I don't think the difference between a Titan X and 980 is quite the same as Lambo vs KIA.
Hey some of us may belong to the Kia owners club!!! :)
Saying that one of my friends years back used to own one of the dodgy Skodas, on the plus side it sounded like it was going a bazillion miles an hour and gave you a massage but yeah that is all I could say about it :)
Cheers

Well, the most expensive 'enthusiast' KIA is around 60k, while the cheapest Lambo is around 200k. That's comparable to a 970 and Titan X :p

Well, the most expensive 'enthusiast' KIA is around 60k, while the cheapest Lambo is around 200k. That's comparable to a 970 and Titan X :p
That reminds me,
when Skoda were sort of seen as being budget (thats err being kind lol) they created a monster rally car; was pretty good as well and rather expensive.

Cheers

On subject of comparing either to 980ti or Titan X.

It makes sense for NVIDIA to compare the 1080 to the Titan X, because this is a reference design compared to a reference design.

Looking at some reviews, the reference design Titan X was actually a little bit faster than the reference 980ti.

I feel quite a lot of people are skewing their perspective by thinking of custom AIB 980ti, and trying to correlate to that.
However this skews results, because it is now known the 1080 OCs very well, so again the 1080 custom AIB will gain a further boost.

So while some say it is only marginally faster than a custom 980ti (from a technical perspective rather than a consumer buy now/wait), they are ignoring there will also be custom 1080 boards in the near future.
For now the most relevant comparison technically is as NVIDIA did, reference design to reference design and the fastest card they made was the Titan X from that perspective.
Cheers

If you buy new tech at launch and it lasts you for over a year, you got your money's worth. Those Titan X / 980ti will be relevant for a very long time. Then again there is the 700 series longevity fail. :(
I feel my 780 has held out for a good part of time. Still able to get respectable fps in games. I actually consider it one of the better cards that I have owned.

I'm wondering what can be considered as a fair price for 970 now. I have an EVGA SSC ACX 2.0+ with backplate bought in October which I'm planning to replace with 1070, and I'm scratching my head as new gen certainly devalues the 900 series.

I'm wondering what can be considered as a fair price for 970 now. I have an EVGA SSC ACX 2.0+ with backplate bought in October which I'm planning to replace with 1070, and I'm scratching my head as new gen certainly devalues the 900 series.

If AMD's Polaris is nearly as fast as rumors say, I'm going to give it a value of about $150 after their announcement.

True. 980Ti's won't move now,and the used market for them...well,price cuts will be a must. Very good performance for the pricing on Pascal. GTX1080 in a few weeks,GTX1070 later. I just bought a Nano open box from a local computer store for 430 Cdn,just days ago. Love the card,but must admit Nv have outdone themselves with Pascal.

It will be hard to move GTX970s now - let alone GTX980s. GTX970 requires - at minimum - 6+6 (if not 6+8). GTX1070 requires only the 8 - and at the same price or less (markup-dependent) and outperforms it. Better performance, lower price, and easier on the electric bill. If it can do single-display 4K, it will be THE go-to card for single-display 4K for those reasons alone. Can GTX970 do 4K? The HARD part will be the wait.

$225 I would say. There are still plenty of people that don't want to spend close to $400 for a GPU. Looks like AMD has a chance of devaluing a 970 more than Nvidia does.

I'm not thinking custom GTX1070 - I'm thinking utter-stock GTX1070 AIB - reference to the dotted i (such as the ZOTAC or MSI version) and compared to the 4GB GTX970 from either company in terms of performance, power usage, and even (if not especially) price - not even necessarily price-for-performance (as that will be anything BUT fair) but heads-up dollar vs. dollar. If the reference cooler can be identical to the GTX1080 (and there's no reason it couldn't be - it was with the GTX970), there would certainly be EVERY reason to keep it, as the design is not just a solid cooler, but it's understated elegance - and for the same reason that GTX1080 carries it off (and TITAN and TITAN X went with it) - elegant effectiveness is always in season (the same applies to the rare-air blower-design GTX 760).

Back