Would you upgrade?

rogerssa

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 23, 2003
Messages
147
Here is what I currently have.

System specs:
K8T Neo FSR
AMD64 3000+
2 512Meg Geil Dragon PC3700
ATI Radeon 9800pro
Western Digital Baracuda 73gig SATA HD
Seagate Baracuda 120gig SATA HD
Enermax 465watt power supply.

Just don't know if a upgrade right now is worth it? I play a lot of Call Of Duty and a few other games, Do a lot of graphics work designing websites as well.

Anyone care to give me thier opinion on a upgrade if you were to do it?
 
That system whoops my ass....if you really don't want it anymore, I'll take it! :D

Seriously, that's a pretty good system...I wouldn't be upgrading if I had it, but I guess it all depends on your financial situation, and if you are happy with your gaming performance.
 
upgrade to what? the only thing you really could do is get a newer video card...

is it s754 or 939? have you overclocked it? what core is your 3000+ ?

there isn't much you even can do...
 
if u really want to upgrade it's only the video card, thought call of duty doesn't require much since it's a quake 3 engine. if u want to go further get another raptor and set it to raid 0. that's all u need

if it's a 939 mobo that u have, wait for dual core AMD and do the bios update that will be released to support it. then u can upgrade the cpu if u feel that u need to.

other than that ur PC is fine
 
Its the 754.

I don't know which core I have for sure. I bought it about a year ago. I've done a little overclocking with it, but this board just doesn't seem to really like it. My system is all watercooled. Video card, Motherboard, and processor.

I may just take your advice. New Video Card. AGP. Just didn't know if I should consider moving to PCI Express or not, and a second Raptor.
 
I'd wait until newer amd cores come out along with another gen of video cards. If you can flash your card to xt speeds than that would probably help you cope for the next couple months, as would oc'ing the cpu until you decide to put it in a backup box/sell it.


[Edit:] Btw, even though there's no real point in switching to pci-e from a performance standpoint, pci-e should support a wider variety of cards in the future, and they may be cheaper, since they won't need a pci-e to agp bridge. Other than that, and possibly good motherboard choices with pci-e, it's just there for futureproofing your comp. If you'd like to upgrade once more, and leave that comp alone and buy all new parts later, then pci-e is pretty pointless atm. However, since it seems you like to upgrade somewhat frequently(754 system and already looking to upgrade) i'd suggest waiting until you get a good pci-e system setup, so you won't have to toss out so many components later on.
 
If you have oodles of money, and want to upgrade something, then you could. Getting a new videocard would definitely help out for gaming, and a new processor would get you slightly more FPS in your games. That said, if I had your machine I wouldn't bother upgrading, and when I did, I'd probably take the plunge over to PCI-E so that I'd be better prepared for future upgrades.
 
Back
Top