Would you replace this PSU?

Souljah

Weaksauce
While this power supply has worked well for me the past 4-5 years, I feel like it may be holding me back. I'm currently running it on an I7-920 oc'd to 3.7 with Crossfired 5850s. I've been unable to OC my vidcards past 800/1175. Also every now and then, my video goes out with a black screen when under load. The best thing I can come up with is I'm not feeding them enough power... I've also got a bluray burner, 3x 2TB HD's, 1 SSD, and an XFI sound card running off this power supply. I've also got quite a bit of USB adjuncts if that matters at all. Am I playing with fire or am I looking too much into this?

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=7

Theoretically, you should be fine as far as power is concerned. If you want to check that, try setting your CPU to stock speed and see if the issues you've been having stop occurring. If they do, then it might be a power issue, although it could also be something to do with your overclock. If they keep happening, then the problem has nothing to do with power.

Your computer can hardly pull 600W so I guess it is probably bad OC not the PSU.

Well it depends, if he is pulling high amps on the 12v line it could easily be the problem. The rails are rated at 14a but if components are not spread across the rails you could be causing it to overheat at load.

Could be holding you back, you're probably pulling about 600w with your current setup, but PSUs get less efficient and yours is 4-5 years old. I always think those PSU calculators are a little on the conservative side... You could try switching it with a higher rated one and if doesn't solve it take it back.

Well it depends, if he is pulling high amps on the 12v line it could easily be the problem. The rails are rated at 14a but if components are not spread across the rails you could be causing it to overheat at load.
No, that's incorrect. If the "rails" are overloaded, they should simply shut down. The power for all the +12V rails is produced by the same components, so the same amount of stress will be put on the PSU regardless of how the load is balanced across the rails. Also, I believe the Toughpower is actually a single-rail PSU like most other CWT PSH-based units, despite what it says on the label.

Well, from the tests performed on it it couldn't produce 750w on the 12v rails when it was hot, so at load it could be getting warm and not supplying enough juice. Either way I would try another PSU and see how it goes, if it works then problem solved.

The overheating only happened when the PSU was loaded to its full capacity. The OP is not putting that much load on his unit. It's pretty unlikely that the PSU is reaching excessively high temperatures, unless it's simply not capable of handling this amount of load due to its age (which is a valid possibility).

Not sure what to do then.. My vidcards are 5850 toxics which I've seen other people get around 900-1000mhz. I guess I should be happy with what I got. Thanks to all that responded.

Back