Would you guys be interested in a Cisco PIX 501 review?

• Thread starter Deleted member 19858
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 19858

I own OCModShop (shameless link) and might be able to get my hands on a new Cisco PIX 501 to review. Would you guys be interested in seeing this, if so how would you like to see it tested.

For now I would probably only be able to hook it up at home on a DSL connection where I have a Netgear router. However since this is a pretty small PIX and could be used for SOHO I don't think that would be such a bad thing.

Aside from what you get, installation, and setup how would you like to see it tested?

I've got my own review. It's short enough, so I'll post it here:

It sucks.

Although I did not subject mine to any aerial tests. But that's fair, I don't have high enough windows for such a test anyway.

* The above is based on my experiences working with the 501. You may or may not have the problems I did. My review is, admittedly, biased because of my underlying dislike of Cisco.

Go read industry reviews of the bigger PIX boxes..the 501 is the same with some set limits. I personally love my 501...but I also manage 515s on a daily basis so config is no problem. For someone used to configuring a NetGear with a simple GUI doing NAT, this isn't it.

SnapGear !=Netgear

SnapGear = CyberGuard

Netgear = Netgear

I don't use Cisco because of CAL issues.

Back