• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Would you be interested in memory heatsinks?

Would you buy high quality ram cooling?


  • Total voters
    30

stealth17

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
177
I am taking a survey to see if it would be worth it for me to get a couple hundred memory heatsinks built or not. I am planning on making tinny copper heatsinks, with longer fins and more fins then any other on the market. They will be the exact size of the IC. The problem with this design is that there will need to be about 1.5cm between each ram stick.

The other idea I may utilize is each IC has a copper block and a heatpipe coming off of it. The heatpipes would go about the dimm, and there would be a copper heatsink cooling it all. The heatpipe design will be more expensive, but aimed tward users with minimal spacing between dimms.

If you have any questions or comments, PLEASE post them.

Thanks!
 
if they were cheap and reusable across multiple sets of ram i would probably spring for em. By cheap i mean liek 10 bucks includign shipping to cover both my sticks of ram.
 
I think it would be worth your time if you can benchmark a measurement improvement in cooling. I've spent some time myself thinking about RAM heatsink design because it seems like one of the areas of cooling where there has really been no innovation. Lots of room for improvement.

One issue is definitely space, though, as you mentioned. Between my two sticks of RAM there's less than one centimeter. If they'd staggered the channels like some motherboard manufacturers do, there'd be much more to work with. Oh well.
 
i would find it worth $20 if i didnt void my warenty by removing the heat spreader, now somthing i would buy is a all copper lower then 6800 gt profile(over the problem sinks) video card memory heatpipe sinks but i wouldnt spend more then $30 for such since my solution was to bust a few fins off the sink... soo odd how the sink is some sort of resin
 
i'd like more information, could you post diagrams of how your coolers work?

i'm really interested, provided the price is ~$5 per heatsink, and i could use them w/ many different DIMMs, and you gave me detailed instructions and any tools i needed about how to remove the heatspreaders....
 
I would be more interested in getting a water cooling setup for my ram, I say this because I already am cooling my processor and video card that way.
 
I would get the mini IC heatsinks if they made a noticable difference in temps. Cost would play a factor too but so long as it stayed reasonable I'd be interested.
 
id be interested i nthe heatpipes, as my motherboard needs the sticks to be right next to each other to operate in dual channel. I had purchased 2 sets of the thermaltake copper heat spreaders for my g.skill, but the snaps were so poorly made that the spreaders didnt sit nice like this [|] it ended up being /|\ so it trapped air inside. I think if you go with the heatpipe design you would need to take care in making sure you could securely apply pressure correctly, so an issue such as this does not arise. also id like to hear more details on the heatpipe design. ok, weve got the heat taken off the ic's by the plates and heatpipe....how is the heat diccipated from the heatpipes?
 
I reserve my vote until I see them.

Words do nothing for me, I like pictures.
 
DDR I memory overlcocking is very seldom thermally limited. even heat spreaders are of dubious worth. i would not buy specialty memory heatsinks, because i have no reason to think that they would make all that much of a difference as compared to having decent airflow past my sticks, which a already have thanks to my top-mounted radiator.

even without my rad, the benifits of having the sinks would provide marginal gains at best. i think that it is a waste of time and money.
 
ac3dimage00animatedfinal3pv.gif


early design still...that would cover 4 ICs, so you would need a set of 4 of those for 1 stick of ram.

ram cooling in my expirience HAS helped stability and overclockablity, not to mention the life of the ram...

how many stick of utt do you see dies each day? :rolleyes: ;)
 
not a bad design. I however think size is still an issue. based off what I see as heatpipes (based off my xp-90) you would need quite tiny heatpipes...I think at this scale it is now getting impractical. The cost would exceed the benefit at this point, as for utt and other rams requiring 3v+ of juice, actively cooling with a fan and perhaps also a heat spreader on them is best. I think the cost alone of the heatpipe implementation would be too great to make this feasable. don't waste too much time on it, design is nice, cost is just too high (unless you know where you could do this for real cheap....in that case, make em smaller and lets get a test set made :p )
 
im interested in somthing for graphics cards not system memory :p i want to see a all copper video card cooler that has thin plates for all the dimms and a large radiator 6800 ultra sized, except instead of the half assed heat pipe nvidia put in, its all copper and none of that crappy black sink that isnt even made out of metal but enough clearance to get the water block on still :D
 
Back
Top