Would this work?

superkdogg

Gawd
Joined
Oct 14, 2004
Messages
743
I have a set of ramsinks that I peeled off an old GF3 that I want to stick on my current 6600gt. I don't have any thermal adhesive and since ramsinks for vid cards are not super important anyway, I'd rather not spend any cash on getting adhesive.

I'm wondering about using JB Weld as an adhesive or as the tim.

Would I be best off to:

A) Use a tiny bit of jb weld on a corner of a ram chip to stick the sink on, while using regular tim for the rest of the chip.

B) Use jb weld over the whole chip as the tim, considering that it's metal based (I can't find an accurate thermal resistance number anywhere) it might facilitate heat moving through it pretty well.

C) Mix up some jb weld with some tim and use the mixture to both hold the sinks on and pass heat through. I should probably test this to make sure the epoxy will set with the tim mixed in---unless you've done something like this and want to save me the trouble :p


edit: Yes, I know that ramsinks would make the stock cooler not fit anymore, but that's another project......
 
to put heatsinks on my mosfets i put a tiny dab of super glue on two opposite corners of the mosfet and put some TIM in the center and put it on. they have been on the mobo for 1.5 years now with no problem. but they can be kind of hard to remove if you ever need to. JB weld would make even a stronger bond that super glue and i would not recommend it. just use normal super glue.
 
Acetone will dissolve hardened superglue if you need to remove the heatsinks... but also dissolves many plastics.
 
Superglue will hold anodized aluminum? Hmmm, if that's the case you've given me the best advice for my situation. I just assumed I'd need an epoxy to hold onto the aluminum and be somewhat temp conductive.
 
superkdogg said:
I have a set of ramsinks that I peeled off an old GF3 that I want to stick on my current 6600gt. I don't have any thermal adhesive and since ramsinks for vid cards are not super important anyway, I'd rather not spend any cash on getting adhesive.

I'm wondering about using JB Weld as an adhesive or as the tim.

Would I be best off to:

A) Use a tiny bit of jb weld on a corner of a ram chip to stick the sink on, while using regular tim for the rest of the chip.

B) Use jb weld over the whole chip as the tim, considering that it's metal based (I can't find an accurate thermal resistance number anywhere) it might facilitate heat moving through it pretty well.

C) Mix up some jb weld with some tim and use the mixture to both hold the sinks on and pass heat through. I should probably test this to make sure the epoxy will set with the tim mixed in---unless you've done something like this and want to save me the trouble :p


edit: Yes, I know that ramsinks would make the stock cooler not fit anymore, but that's another project......


I wouldnt recommend this, if you dont want to spend money on something like AS adhesive, which is indeed a bit on the expensive side, you can look for thermal film, its usually cheap and some have good thermal transfers

D
 
Back
Top